Any Ideas For First Car In Pattaya?

Just finished testing the new Honda CBR 250 for my online magazine but the test almost finished me as I wound up getting a broken clavicle. So, I will be keeping my Nouvo Elegance for short runs where my risk of being a human projectile will be relatively small but looking for a car for longer runs. If it hadn't been for that patch of sand I never saw, and the policeman behind me with his siren blaring and the fact that suddenly the traffic light went out on Sukamvit stopped functioning I wouldn't be writing this post but the bottom line is all contributed to the fact that 2 wheels are not nearly as safe as four. Leaning towards a Mazda 2 primarily because i like its looks and several car magazines rate its fun to drive factor as tops in its class, but I'm also considering the Honda City and the Ford Fiesta--possibly others. Not too mobile at the moment due to the broken clavicle so I haven't yet gone to Pattaya's dealers. Back in the U.S. I've had two Mazda Miata sports cars so I'm well acquainted with Mazda's focus on good handling. Car would be used primarily for my girlfriend and me only with very sporadic need for taking others along. Any thoughts?

Most of the posters here will probably recommend the Ford Fiesta due to its advanced...uhh..innards... and tell you the Mazda isn't as well built. (It's quite possibly the truth)

However, from a purely style point of view - and considering you've had success with Mazda before - and my own preference to have Mazda have more wheels on the road over here... I say go with the 2. - Hatchback i hope.

I bought a Honda Jazz about a year and half ago and highly recommend it. Honda recently came out with a new small car, the Brio, that looks nice and is inexpensive.

Had Jazz been on his list of cars he was looking at I would have recommended it too.

Jazz is best in its class for the hatchback segment. Hard to dispute that.

what happened to the Honda Cbr250??????

sorry to hear about your accident.. But the clavicle heals fairly quickly... been there done that B)

Many thanks to everyone for your answers (and please keep them coming). Thaicbr. Here's the article CBr 250 roadtest which explains in detail how this accident occurred. I've been very reluctant to place the link in thaivisa's bike forum where we are both active figuring it might not be well received. It's a bike enthusiast's forum so most people there have made the choice of fully appreciating a bike for what it is while ignoring the obvious danger factor. Here most members give a lot more weight to the very real dangers of riding a bike--especially in Thailand and get cars which up to now I've viewed as an unnecessary expense that doesn't begin to offer me the all around utility of a bike. Now I'm jumping at the bit to start shopping for a car right away. I cannot drive my bike for another five weeks, have a good friend temporarily staying in his old condo building next door to mine, so perhaps I can get him to start driving me around from dealer to dealer. Which brings up another question. I presently have a five year motorcycle Thai driver's license. But I'm not licensed for driving a car in Thailand...Have valid U.S. driver's license. Thinking of getting this handled a week or so from now and I'm wondering what paperwork I'll need aside from passport, pictures and present driver's licenses. Then with the combo driver's license in hand go out and get the car of my choice.

what happened to the Honda Cbr250??????

sorry to hear about your accident.. But the clavicle heals fairly quickly... been there done that B)

Many thanks to everyone for your answers (and please keep them coming). Thaicbr. Here's the article CBr 250 roadtest which explains in detail how this accident occurred. I've been very reluctant to place the link in thaivisa's bike forum where we are both active figuring it might not be well received. It's a bike enthusiast's forum so most people there have made the choice of fully appreciating a bike for what it is while ignoring the obvious danger factor. Here most members give a lot more weight to the very real dangers of riding a bike--especially in Thailand and get cars which up to now I've viewed as an unnecessary expense that doesn't begin to offer me the all around utility of a bike. Now I'm jumping at the bit to start shopping for a car right away. I cannot drive my bike for another five weeks, have a good friend temporarily staying in his old condo building next door to mine, so perhaps I can get him to start driving me around from dealer to dealer. Which brings up another question. I presently have a five year motorcycle Thai driver's license. But I'm not licensed for driving a car in Thailand...Have valid U.S. driver's license. Thinking of getting this handled a week or so from now and I'm wondering what paperwork I'll need aside from passport, pictures and present driver's licenses. Then with the combo driver's license in hand go out and get the car of my choice.

To get TH DL car, bring passport and certificate of residence. Tests as usual. Or ad US lisence and avoid some tests.

Car, go to Ford dealer and get a FiestaS hatch. Unbeatable spec in TH compared to the others. Smaller and less versatile than Jazz, but if you want good handling, 6 speed dsg auto and best power there is no alternative

To get TH DL car, bring passport and certificate of residence. Tests as usual. Or ad US lisence and avoid some tests.

Car, go to Ford dealer and get a FiestaS hatch. Unbeatable spec in TH compared to the others. Smaller and less versatile than Jazz, but if you want good handling, 6 speed dsg auto and best power there is no alternative

I've heard great things about the Fiesta---car of the year sort of stuff so it will be one of the first on my list.

I am really warming up to the idea of the Ford Fiesta S hatch. It has outstanding reviews with some of its strong points being terrific handling, excellent quality and a strong sales record combined with a superior automatic transmission. I've read also that Ford guarantees parts within 24 hours. Perhaps its weakest point is the lack of rear seat room. However, my gf and I do not intend on taking others with us. That being said, my nephew should be visiting us again in October so it would be nice to take him along on a nice little trip (he's six feet tall). A plus would be if the hatchback could accommodate two bicycles although I suppose a bicycle bracket could be put on. Ford is also an American company although the car's components will be from Europe, Asia, etc. Didn't feel this way before in those days when American cars were overly large and not up to Japanese quality standards. Now from what I'm reading, the Fiesta is not behind the curve but perhaps at the cutting edge--at least with this model.

I am really warming up to the idea of the Ford Fiesta S hatch. It has outstanding reviews with some of its strong points being terrific handling, excellent quality and a strong sales record combined with a superior automatic transmission. I've read also that Ford guarantees parts within 24 hours. Perhaps its weakest point is the lack of rear seat room. However, my gf and I do not intend on taking others with us. That being said, my nephew should be visiting us again in October so it would be nice to take him along on a nice little trip (he's six feet tall). A plus would be if the hatchback could accommodate two bicycles although I suppose a bicycle bracket could be put on. Ford is also an American company although the car's components will be from Europe, Asia, etc. Didn't feel this way before in those days when American cars were overly large and not up to Japanese quality standards. Now from what I'm reading, the Fiesta is not behind the curve but perhaps at the cutting edge--at least with this model.

Only the S Jack,the lower ones ive looked at are Gungey Inside compared to the Mazda2

Only the S Jack,the lower ones ive looked at are Gungey Inside compared to the Mazda2

yepp, only the hatchback S 1,6 6 speed auto

anything less, I would go Jazz due to versatility (bicycle) and rear seat

more rearseat and less versatility, City or Vios

As an old boss of mine, was fond of saying, ''If I was an alien and just landed from Mars, a logical first step would be to drive what the earthlings drive''.

So, what do Thai people drive ??

There were two Fiesta models at Big C--the Hatchback and the sport both at 695000 baht, insurance included (but how good is the included insurance?). Both were designated as top of the line and both seemed identically equipped. One of our fellow condo owners saw me at the pool yesterday afternoon and he told me about the little auto show and he made a big deal of the Fiesta Sport telling me, "You will love it and buy it," I much preferred its appearance to that of the hatchback. There was also a Chevrolet priced at about $1000 less or so and it had dual fueling--NVG and gasoline. NVG tank is good for 150 km per tankful the salesman told me. Orders for the single fueling system are backed up although the car is cheaper. ONe of my German friends in my building had 'urged me to go see the Chevrolet as it could be had for 500000 baht or so. It is much roomier than the Ford. In a Consumer Reports video the Fiesta got very high marks except for its lack of rear seat room.

Another German fellow condo co owner showed me his Honda City. Has a top of the line Mercedes back in Germany but he's been extolling all the virtues of the City. Has a lot of trunk and rear seat room. Willie told me, "In Thailand FOR YOU there are only two choices...Toyota and Honda. You can get either repaired anywhere. Do not buy the Ford." However Car reviews of the City tell of a flaw...'It is great in the city but once you get it on the highway, it's automatic is not so terrific when there are hills. I gathered it does a lot of shifting at the wrong times.

Some of the switches and other minor controls on the Fiesta seem flimsy to me. That said, as soon as I opened its door I was much impressed at how balanced and weighted it felt. And overall its quality seemed top notch. Headed for a checkup at BAngkok Hospital in half an hour. When finished will check the nearby Honda dealership out. My girlfriend loved the Fiesta but afterwards we went to the guest house I stayed at. The woman who now owns the business told her that a Ford would make no sense due to the scarcity of dealerships in Thailand. This swayed my gf back to Honda. I'll buy what I like, however, not what she might prefer.

When I was living in the U.S. I had two vehicles...a special edition Mazda Miata and a Dodge 4 wheel drive pickup in short bed sport configuration. Frequency of repair for both was about nil and I had nearly 100,000 miles on the pickup (bought it because I was a farmer then and farmers need pickups). Whether practical or not if I could buy a Miata sports car here in Thailand for 700,000 baht I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'd have to pay double for this car than I'd pay in the U.S. You might say I value great handling and performance more than practicality. And from what I've read both the Mazda 2 and Fiesta capture that sports car driving experience much better than the competition. Neither has sports car like power however.

I like the fact that if the manual transmission Fiesta gets 40 miles to the gallon highway its 6 speed auto gets 41. Ford has to have superior technology at this point in time. Not that 35 mpg versus 41 for instance will make much difference to me. But it does show the high level of thought and engineering that's gone into this car. I have read that Ford promises parts within 24 hours. I think Ford's parts commitment and service here in Thailand will go up or down in relation to its sales performance in the next five years or so.

Having lived in Pattaya for many year's (Not any more) I would like you to think on one thing, once you get your new shiny car, Where the hell are you going to park??? Hire one for the day and give it a try apart from Hotel's, super market's, your buggered. Night time it's even more of a joke. You'll be down to useing the Bt bus. My tip is forget it and save your money. Use taxi's, Bt bus's, and when you want to go on trip's Hire. Sorry to hear of your accident, a M/C in Pattaya is one of the quickest way's of killing yourself. That's if the diesel fume's dont get you first.

I agree with the parking of bikes situation having lived here in Pattaya full time for six years. That's why I've never considered a car until now. Just contending with the traffic when it's bad would drive me bonkers. But I got this little feeling in my clavicle that tells me another story, kind of like that deep feeling in the pit of the stomach. If i had a car I'd probably do the same thing as I did last night.....driving my motorbike to a bar on Naklua Road where I parked it, then my gf and I took a baht taxi to the Dolphin round about. Ended up near Soi 6 in a restaurant then walked all the way back to the Naklua bar where I had a couple more then took my Elegance down the back way back to the condo...my gf driving of course as my clavicle is screwed up. So there still is a need for the motorbike, but in less risky situations. THere will still be a need for walking, baht taxis, etc. But if I want to go to the hospital or to Sukamvit, even to Lotus where there is ample parking for cars...even Carre Four, the car might be the best route to follow. You are right......if you pencil this out the cost of ownership (of a car) can buy a lot of taxis, plane tickets,etc. But, my shoulder gives me a little different viewpoint now.

EVen before my accident I've often thought of having a pickup truck so that I could be the potential killor rather than the killiee. People tend to get out of the way of pickups due to their intimidating size. Hard to park though.

I'm now getting a different slant on all this. Just got back from Pattaya Bangkok Hospital to have new x rays taken and conference with my surgeon. Then my gf and I looked at Hondas. Really liked the Civic which is a little bigger and has a bit more power than the City. Cities in very short supply now because of problems in Japan. I do not care for the driving position of the City anyway, but really liked the position in the Civic. Car is a bit bigger. And no doubt smoother on a trip, say to Krabi where I often go. At this point that three inch long titanium plate in my shoulder are is giving me new messages. It's all about that one time when things don't go just quite right that you cannot measure in dollars and cents. That trip to say Nong Nooch where one takes the motorbike or car. You think, if I am really careful that bike ride there will really be nice. So you go for it and pay the ultimate price. I've driven BMW motorbikes in the U.S. at 220 kph on a crappy two lane so on one level I'm not easily scared, but I had an intuition about this one. I rented that CBR 250 just to come up with another bike review for my online magazine. The 250 Ninja would have been next. So I woke up early, filled up and mentally prepared my bike test to Rayon. I have a friend named David. Do i visit him or not? Been to his condo once but not sure how to get there. No....I shouldn't. Let's get onto the business of the story, Jack....forget about seeing your pal. But no, I have to call David and he gives me some really crappy directions. I end up 10 miles from where I should be and I'm driving the CBR all over the place. I call him three times. So following his directions I wind up on Sukamivit Road in Rayong. But my pal doesn't even tell me how far I have to travel on Sukamvit. So I"m driving and driving. Make a final phone call when I see the light, the light I should be turning on....if I can trust his directions this time.. The light is working. I've pulled off to the side of the road talking to David. When I get off the phone with David, I'm now pretty sure I have to turn right on the green arrow at the light. But the traffic suddenly gets pretty thick, I get out into it and accelerate way over to the right. Then I work my way through the cars to the far right getting close to the light. Then I hear the police car' s siren behind me. I figure he sees me on a brand new CBR and rightly figures I've rented it. Probably figures I am a tourist and don't have a Thai driver's license. Now figuring he sees me as a mark for an easy 500 baht in his pocket. I'm now about to make my right turn at the light and there's others behind me wanting to make the right turn. There's three lanes of North bound traffic heading back to Pattaya and it's then I notice that the light has stopped working. No green arrow coming and the northbound traffic is stopped. No doubt everyone's wondering whether to go for it or not. I am too. But I'm on a bike and people don't respect bikes and respect pedestrians even less. So what to do? I give it a shot and shoot off to the right across three lanes of Sukamvit and wind up making it. But out of force of habit decide to slow down, get off to the far left side of my lane and look back to see what that cop is doing. And that's when the bike goes right from under me. No warning, no sliding of the tires. Suddenly I'm down and my shoulder is in severe pain. I had put the brakes on while hitting a slender patch of sand that I never saw.

If I hadn't tried to go visit my friend, if he hadn't given me crappy directions, if the cop hadn't suddenly appeared behind me one lane to my left blasting his siren, if that light had not suddenly malfunctioned, if I had not decided to slow down so that I could stop and survey my situation vis a vis the cop, if that sand hadn't suddenly been there, I'd be okay right now. If I had four wheels instead of two I would not have been so apprehensive about cutting across Sukamvit knowing some drivers are crazy enough to go right for a pedestrian or motorbike and the patch of sand would have had no effect on me whatsoever.

Right now whether I pay say 625,000 baht for a City versus 150,000 baht more for a Civic seems to be pretty inconsequential or even if I move up to a more delux model. It's that one time you take the bike instead of the car that might make the difference from being crippled for life and emerging unscathed.

I agree with the parking of bikes situation having lived here in Pattaya full time for six years. That's why I've never considered a car until now. Just contending with the traffic when it's bad would drive me bonkers. But I got this little feeling in my clavicle that tells me another story, kind of like that deep feeling in the pit of the stomach. If i had a car I'd probably do the same thing as I did last night.....driving my motorbike to a bar on Naklua Road where I parked it, then my gf and I took a baht taxi to the Dolphin round about. Ended up near Soi 6 in a restaurant then walked all the way back to the Naklua bar where I had a couple more then took my Elegance down the back way back to the condo...my gf driving of course as my clavicle is screwed up. So there still is a need for the motorbike, but in less risky situations. THere will still be a need for walking, baht taxis, etc. But if I want to go to the hospital or to Sukamvit, even to Lotus where there is ample parking for cars...even Carre Four, the car might be the best route to follow. You are right......if you pencil this out the cost of ownership (of a car) can buy a lot of taxis, plane tickets,etc. But, my shoulder gives me a little different viewpoint now.

EVen before my accident I've often thought of having a pickup truck so that I could be the potential killor rather than the killiee. People tend to get out of the way of pickups due to their intimidating size. Hard to park though.

I'm now getting a different slant on all this. Just got back from Pattaya Bangkok Hospital to have new x rays taken and conference with my surgeon. Then my gf and I looked at Hondas. Really liked the Civic which is a little bigger and has a bit more power than the City. Cities in very short supply now because of problems in Japan. I do not care for the driving position of the City anyway, but really liked the position in the Civic. Car is a bit bigger. And no doubt smoother on a trip, say to Krabi where I often go. At this point that three inch long titanium plate in my shoulder are is giving me new messages. It's all about that one time when things don't go just quite right that you cannot measure in dollars and cents. That trip to say Nong Nooch where one takes the motorbike or car. You think, if I am really careful that bike ride there will really be nice. So you go for it and pay the ultimate price. I've driven BMW motorbikes in the U.S. at 220 kph on a crappy two lane so on one level I'm not easily scared, but I had an intuition about this one. I rented that CBR 250 just to come up with another bike review for my online magazine. The 250 Ninja would have been next. So I woke up early, filled up and mentally prepared my bike test to Rayon. I have a friend named David. Do i visit him or not? Been to his condo once but not sure how to get there. No....I shouldn't. Let's get onto the business of the story, Jack....forget about seeing your pal. But no, I have to call David and he gives me some really crappy directions. I end up 10 miles from where I should be and I'm driving the CBR all over the place. I call him three times. So following his directions I wind up on Sukamivit Road in Rayong. But my pal doesn't even tell me how far I have to travel on Sukamvit. So I"m driving and driving. Make a final phone call when I see the light, the light I should be turning on....if I can trust his directions this time.. The light is working. I've pulled off to the side of the road talking to David. When I get off the phone with David, I'm now pretty sure I have to turn right on the green arrow at the light. But the traffic suddenly gets pretty thick, I get out into it and accelerate way over to the right. Then I work my way through the cars to the far right getting close to the light. Then I hear the police car' s siren behind me. I figure he sees me on a brand new CBR and rightly figures I've rented it. Probably figures I am a tourist and don't have a Thai driver's license. Now figuring he sees me as a mark for an easy 500 baht in his pocket. I'm now about to make my right turn at the light and there's others behind me wanting to make the right turn. There's three lanes of North bound traffic heading back to Pattaya and it's then I notice that the light has stopped working. No green arrow coming and the northbound traffic is stopped. No doubt everyone's wondering whether to go for it or not. I am too. But I'm on a bike and people don't respect bikes and respect pedestrians even less. So what to do? I give it a shot and shoot off to the right across three lanes of Sukamvit and wind up making it. But out of force of habit decide to slow down, get off to the far left side of my lane and look back to see what that cop is doing. And that's when the bike goes right from under me. No warning, no sliding of the tires. Suddenly I'm down and my shoulder is in severe pain. I had put the brakes on while hitting a slender patch of sand that I never saw.

If I hadn't tried to go visit my friend, if he hadn't given me crappy directions, if the cop hadn't suddenly appeared behind me one lane to my left blasting his siren, if that light had not suddenly malfunctioned, if I had not decided to slow down so that I could stop and survey my situation vis a vis the cop, if that sand hadn't suddenly been there, I'd be okay right now. If I had four wheels instead of two I would not have been so apprehensive about cutting across Sukamvit knowing some drivers are crazy enough to go right for a pedestrian or motorbike and the patch of sand would have had no effect on me whatsoever.

Right now whether I pay say 625,000 baht for a City versus 150,000 baht more for a Civic seems to be pretty inconsequential or even if I move up to a more delux model. It's that one time you take the bike instead of the car that might make the difference from being crippled for life and emerging unscathed.

Easy done even for an experienced M/C peep's. Having lived there and still go for the odd trip/few day's, when I arrive my car go's in the Hotel car park and that's where it stay's, other than a trip to Topp's S/M at 9am to get the paper's, or if I want to go on a trip some ware. I was serious when I sugested hire one maybe not for a day, but for a week to give it a good testing. Trust me you'll find it a real pain in the butt. All you'll do is sit in traffic and not go any ware, when/if eventualy you do arrive at your destination if it's not a S/Market you wont be able to park. And that's 24/7 in Pattaya. I'm not having a go at Pattaya that's just how it is. But it would give you something to do if you had some odd time "Twice a week" you clean it. That's because it will be covered in dust after two day's "Fact" Best of luck with your body repair's. What ever you decide on enjoy. Just give my renting + taxi a go before you do anything, might just save you a load of cash. Not to mention head ache's.

Having a home up north as well as in Pattaya, I always hate driving there in the city. On the bike I car just zip through traffic and park anywhere, When I have my car, Nissan March, small and easy to drive and trun, I hat sitting in traffice sometimes through many lights waiting my turn. The only week I like driving my car there is Songkran ! It your a true biker you will hate it. My truck is even worse. Always waiting, and some of the narrow roads

Well, I've done it. Put a deposit on a Civic automatic. There's a black one arriving sometime this month. Was tempted to go top of the line for a leather interior equipped car they had in stock. Silver with upgraded 16 inch wheels, cruise, airbags, built in GPS. The one I'm getting has a grey cloth interior, 15 inch non mag wheels with no cruise control, air bags or GPS. Will get GPS at Tuk.com or wherever. Should cost in the neighborhood of 10,000 baht. Can do without the cruise control or airbags. Torn between the top of the line model. Car is silver (easier to keep clean) and the leather interior plus 16 inch wheels most definitely enhances the cars looks....but at 200,000 baht more? The sales girl pointed this out to me thus reinforcing the very substantial increased cost---- $6000 just for accessories. The sales girl said if I really wanted a leather interior I could do it through a third party much cheaper.

The sales girl told me there's a lot of places in Naklua that can upgrade my wheels and tires for me. Anyone here have any suggestions? Especially in Naklua? This would definitely dress up the car's outside appearance while giving me improved handling as well.

Edited by jackcorbett

Well, I've done it. Put a deposit on a Civic automatic. There's a black one arriving sometime this month. Was tempted to go top of the line for a leather interior equipped car they had in stock. Silver with upgraded 16 inch wheels, cruise, airbags, built in GPS. The one I'm getting has a grey cloth interior, 15 inch non mag wheels with no cruise control, air bags or GPS. Will get GPS at Tuk.com or wherever. Should cost in the neighborhood of 10,000 baht. Can do without the cruise control or airbags. Torn between the top of the line model. Car is silver (easier to keep clean) and the leather interior plus 16 inch wheels most definitely enhances the cars looks....but at 200,000 baht more? The sales girl pointed this out to me thus reinforcing the very substantial increased cost---- $6000 just for accessories. The sales girl said if I really wanted a leather interior I could do it through a third party much cheaper.

The sales girl told me there's a lot of places in Naklua that can upgrade my wheels and tires for me. Anyone here have any suggestions? Especially in Naklua? This would definitely dress up the car's outside appearance while giving me improved handling as well.

Well done on almost getting your new car. Give us all an update on how it is. Just give my post's a thought when you hit you first traffic jam. I'm there in a week or two so will be joining you. Only for 3 day's though that will be enough agro parking wise for me.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the fact that the Mazda 2 and Fiesta are twins - both built at Auto Alliance (ford & mazda) factory in Rayong, sharing same floorpan, brakes suspension & power train, etc. There would be little differences in build quality or design, so the deciding criteria should be price, style and features, in whatever order suits the OP.

Edited by tokachinter

Pattaya is a "Ladybike" Town (Hit and Run). So there is NO WAY to buy a new car. Proparly you wil lose your outer mirrors by passing motorbiles on the first day (hit and run), they will scratch your bumpers on the redlights, etc. We have new rental cars, so i see daily what's going on.

Almost every customer comes back with some small damage or scratches. And you can't claim every single small scratch with the insurance company, because your insurance will be more expensive next year and if you claim every single scratche you car stays most of the time in the insurance repair shop insdeat in your driveway. The best thing is if you buy a old strong Junk Car with a good engine like TOYOTA CROWN, OLD VOLVO or old American tank or HOLDEN Statesman from the seventies or something similar. Even better if they have strong steel bumpers. And don't forget. OLD cars keep their value. You buy a old Volvo for 140'k for example you can sell it again for 100 or 120'k, after one year. No headaches with payments and no headaches about damages and no devaluations and every repairshop can work on it (no electronic engine management systems). Fancy electronic plastic cars today will give you a headache if you try to keep it nice and clean and only expensive dealership can repair it!

Parking space is no problem so far, if you know the town. There are everywhere parking possibilities.