Thailand Deports 5 Pregnant Vietnamese Surrogate Mothers And 5 Babies

webfact

Five surrogate mothers, five babies deported

By The Nation

Published on May 31, 2011

Five pregnant Vietnamese surrogate mothers and five babies from other illegal surrogates were repatriated from Thailand yesterday.

They boarded a flight to Vietnam at 6.45am.

Social Development and Human Security Minister Issara Somchai said the babies were not entitled to Thai citizenship because their mothers had entered Thailand illegally.

"The surrogate mothers were paid Bt100,000 each," he said.

According to him, four suspects have been arrested for illegally procuring Vietnamese women to become surrogate mothers, but the mastermind behind the operation is still on the run.

"He's Taiwanese and his name is Lao Pan," Issara said.

With all the documents in the possession of the alleged mastermind, men who claim they had fathered the babies are unable to provide evidence and take custody of the children.

The Taiwanese human-trafficking gang was found to have lured 15 Vietnamese women into becoming surrogate mothers, of whom 10 were deported on May 13. Of the deported, six were not pregnant, while four had given birth to five babies, including a pair of twins.

"I will check on the repatriated victims as well," Issara said before boarding a flight to Vietnam yesterday morning.

He was scheduled to meet Vietnam's minister of public security and other relevant officials on controlling human trafficking. Issara said illegal surrogate mothers faced tougher punishment in Vietnam compared to Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-31

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were probably deported for working without a work permit in a job that is classified as restricted to Thai's. Get paid B100,000 for a year's work, housing allowance, lie around and do nothing for a year. Yes many Thai ladies want that job.

I tought if you where born in Thailand you are Thai citizen and get nationality regardless if the mothers entered the Kingdom illegally

And Issara said illegal surrogate mothers faced tougher punishment in Vietnam compared to Thailand.

The beautiful and human Thailand (Land of Smiles) when you come for a 2 week holiday and use at least 300 000 baht

Edited by jacknorman

They were probably deported for working without a work permit in a job that is classified as restricted to Thai's. Get paid B100,000 for a year's work, housing allowance, lie around and do nothing for a year. Yes many Thai ladies want that job.

This is an insult... You dont get babies by 'lie around and do nothing for a year'... 'Many Thai ladies do more for less'...:D ( This is meant as a compliment, by the way, no derogation intended)

I'm confused.

Using surrogate mothers is quite common these days of medical tourism. Thousands of Americans, Brits, German, ect. couples that cannot, or do not want to "carry" a child routinely go to India where clinics arrange for the couples in vitro fertilized egg to be placed within the womb of the surrogate mother who is paid to carry the child to term, and not infrequently to age one or two, whereupon the child is retrieved. This is common and legal in India, so is this illegal in Thailand? And who are the fathers? Are these children created from the egg/sperm of a couple who cannot bear a child? When this is done in India the child, though born in India is not considered an Indian citizen. I would think that here the egg/sperm parents would not consider their child, even if carried to term by a Vietnamese in Thailand, either Thai or Vietnamese.

There are lot's of "takers" in India, for it is one of the few ways to earn perhaps $5-15,000 to be used for a grand wedding.

Is it the surrogate carriage of children that is forbidden, or the illegality of the Vietnamese mothers "working" in Thailand without a permit?

I'm confused.

Using surrogate mothers is quite common these days of medical tourism. Thousands of Americans, Brits, German, ect. couples that cannot, or do not want to "carry" a child routinely go to India where clinics arrange for the couples in vitro fertilized egg to be placed within the womb of the surrogate mother who is paid to carry the child to term, and not infrequently to age one or two, whereupon the child is retrieved. This is common and legal in India, so is this illegal in Thailand? And who are the fathers? Are these children created from the egg/sperm of a couple who cannot bear a child? When this is done in India the child, though born in India is not considered an Indian citizen. I would think that here the egg/sperm parents would not consider their child, even if carried to term by a Vietnamese in Thailand, either Thai or Vietnamese.

There are lot's of "takers" in India, for it is one of the few ways to earn perhaps $5-15,000 to be used for a grand wedding.

Is it the surrogate carriage of children that is forbidden, or the illegality of the Vietnamese mothers "working" in Thailand without a permit?

It is the Human Trafficking which is illegal! The babies are not sold to foster parents for THB 100000. The traffickers probably cash at least 10 times that price!

The Thai government forcable repatriate these women with no care to the unborn child! So where is the 100,000 baht now that they were or have recieved. Is this people traffiking in reverse...land of no cares. There are a lot worse things happening here without having to leave these unborns with no father

Today there appears to be an abundance of people wiling to pay for a surrogate to have their baby.  For whatever reason these women / couples are unable to have their own offspring.<br><br>Ironic therefore, in such a caring society, that only recently we had the discovery of thousands of aborted fetuses   in a Bangkok temple.  <br>

What the heck....!

Gee Weezzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

the name LAU PUN in Chinese means.... the BOSS....

So.... there are probably 250,000 Chinese the boss in Bangkok....

It is going to take them a few years to locate the real the boss.... LOL :lol:

Were the eggs Thai and fertilized by Thai sperm? Or are they attempting to breed some intelligence into the Thai gene pool? Having been married to a leuk kreung, I can tell you there is definitely a difference in intellect.

men who claim they had fathered the babies are unable to provide evidence and take custody of the children.

:whistling: A simple DNA test takes about 2 hours... :ermm:

you may be the genetic father, but according to thai law, parental power of a child born outside marriage is exclusive of the mother, unless she agree to share or cease it.

on the other hand, you can't be forced to $upport a baby that is born outside marriage, if you don't want to...

now, if you were a thai male on duty to legislate about this matter, would you change something of this law?

:whistling:

I tought if you where born in Thailand you are Thai citizen and get nationality regardless if the mothers entered the Kingdom illegally

And Issara said illegal surrogate mothers faced tougher punishment in Vietnam compared to Thailand.

The beautiful and human Thailand (Land of Smiles) when you come for a 2 week holiday and use at least 300 000 baht

Obviously, you were "tought" NOTHING......!!!! and why would the authorities not repatriate them..? Dont do the crime if you cannot do the time..!!

I'm confused.

Your first statement is right.... You are confused...

the citizenship by birth came automatically following a birth registration, and is quite obvious those vietnamese mothers could not go to city hall and say "i'm illegaly here but had a baby".

Edited by janderton

men who claim they had fathered the babies are unable to provide evidence and take custody of the children.

:whistling: A simple DNA test takes about 2 hours... :ermm:

Excuse me, mee-lou-see....

i-no-see a hospital can do required DNA in about 2 hrs....

you see where....?

The last dna done in April 16, 2011 cost 12,400 thai baht at ChuLa and it took some 3 wks before results disclosure.

If only 2 hrs. that would be great and good news for those who do not wish to wait days and weeks.

;)

Why bring in Vietnamese women ?

I am sure there are thousands of Thai women that would become surrogate mothers for a fraction of that price.

Take a wild guess.... skin colour? racial characteristics?

I tought I taw a puddy cat....

The are only a couple of ways to get Thai nationality via birth. None of which you mentioned:

1)Be born to a Thai parent - either inside or outside the Kingdom is fine

2) Being born to foreign parents, both of whom hold permanent residency

3) Be born on Thai soil before 1971 - generally regardless of parents nationality

4) Be born in Thailand after 1971 and before 1992 to foreign parents and continue to have strong links to Thailand.

I'm confused.

30 Years ago China (Taiwan) made it a penalty to have more than one child. Before a couple could conceive or within the first trimester your child must have a government permit. If you wish to have a second, then you face a heavy penalty of paying over half of your income in taxes. If you are from a poor income then your child/fetus could be terminated.

So let say you wanted a boy and you gave birth to a girl instead, now enter the human trafficker.

Why bring in Vietnamese women ?

I am sure there are thousands of Thai women that would become surrogate mothers for a fraction of that price.

Take a wild guess.... skin colour? racial characteristics?

you know why?

in the history, Vietnamese migrated to where they are now from southern part of China. Vietnam was under the Chinese empire for 2000 years. Surely, they are more like Chinese, Taiwanese than Thai. The skin color and the eyes!!!!!

although, originally the Thai are from somewhere in Yunnan.... but very different from the majority Chinese.

The are only a couple of ways to get Thai nationality via birth. None of which you mentioned:

1)Be born to a Thai parent - either inside or outside the Kingdom is fine

2) Being born to foreign parents, both of whom hold permanent residency

3) Be born on Thai soil before 1971 - generally regardless of parents nationality

4) Be born in Thailand after 1971 and before 1992 to foreign parents and continue to have strong links to Thailand.

Of course, if the Parents don't officially have any nationality then this does not apply. <_<