Yingluck Waits For The Right Time For A Public Debate With Abhisit

webfact

Yingluck waits for the right time for a public

By The Nation

Pheu Thai Party's PM candidate Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday that she would be happy to take part in a public debate with her Democrat counterpart Abhisit Vejjajiva when the time was right.

"I will have to consider the timing. People wouldn't want to see an attack and counter-attack session between the two parties. When the time is right, I'm ready to debate. It's not a problem that I'm not a good speaker. I'm also ready to run an election campaign in the South," she said.

Democrat Party spokesman Buranaj Smutharaks said the party was glad to hear that Yingluck was ready to debate. "We [the Democrat party] are also ready," he said, adding that a neutral unit should organise the session.

Meanwhile, Banharn Silapa-archa, who retains ties with Chart Thai Pattana Party despite a political ban, said yesterday that party adviser Sanan Kachornprasart had a good chance of becoming the next premier if small and medium-sized parties won more than 100 House seats between them.

Banharn said that Sanan would have a better chance of becoming the next premier if the two major parties - Pheu Thai and Democrat - were unable to form a coalition government.

In that scenario, he said, a non-partisan prime minister might be needed to bring about reconciliation in the country.

Banharn said he expected just three of the mid-sized parties to get more than 20 MP seats, namely Bhum Jai Thai, Chart Pattana Puea Pandin and Chart Thai Pattana. He said "his" party would join whoever won the majority of House seats.

If the Democrat Party won most of the seats, Banharn said he would not mind who was made premier. He said it didn't necessarily have to be Abhisit - he would also support the Democrats' secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban for the job.

"Actually I don't want to ask about the promises that Abhisit has made to me. Frankly, I admire Suthep, as he is the only person in the party who can make deals and cooperate well with coalition parties. We get along, though we have been a bit distant recently. He has not called me since the House was dissolved. Maybe he has forgotten about Chart Thai Pattana Party," Banharn said.

Chart Pattana Puea Pandin's de facto leader Suwat Liptapanlop told Matichon daily yesterday the next premier would come from either Democrat or Pheu Thai, and that small parties would have no chance at the top job because collectively they would win no more than 100 of the 500 MP seats.

However, he said that small parties would play a big role in forming the next government because no party will win more than 250 seats.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-31

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several Thai women I know have switched from Abhisit to Yingluck. Their logic is a follows, Thailand is like an extended family, in a Thai family it is the woman who sorts out the internal problems and conflicts, who holds the family together and functional. A woman think more of her family than herself. She may not be as educated or literate as her husband but she is more instinctive and practical.

Ok, this is just the opinion of 3 women I know but I wonder if the female vote will be a factor in the election?

"Actually I don't want to ask about the promises that Abhisit has made to me. Frankly, I admire Suthep, as he is the only person in the party who can make deals and cooperate well with coalition parties. We get along, though we have been a bit distant recently. He has not called me since the House was dissolved. Maybe he has forgotten about Chart Thai Pattana Party," Banharn said.

don't keep us in suspense, please do tell k. Banharn. What promises if any ?

It's not a problem that I'm not a good speaker.

So then, what is the problem?

Why not at least make a commitment to participate in a debate as that's what the public wants and there's no better way to reach as many voters at one time to present her stand on a myriad of issues and her vision for the future of Thailand as its leader?

This is not a family matter. It is a matter of representing and leading a country. The job is much more than dealing with a family. Economy, job, financial, energy, and social to name a few - all for the betterment of a country and its citizen and not for a family!!!

Several Thai women I know have switched from Abhisit to Yingluck. Their logic is a follows, Thailand is like an extended family, in a Thai family it is the woman who sorts out the internal problems and conflicts, who holds the family together and functional. A woman think more of her family than herself. She may not be as educated or literate as her husband but she is more instinctive and practical.

Ok, this is just the opinion of 3 women I know but I wonder if the female vote will be a factor in the election?

I hope not. but just in case i'm going to make sure i keep my bitch home on election day

This is not a family matter. It is a matter of representing and leading a country. The job is much more than dealing with a family. Economy, job, financial, energy, and social to name a few - all for the betterment of a country and its citizen and not for a family!!!

You are applying Western Logic,Thais see it like a T.V. Soap upcountry.

I hope not. but just in case i'm going to make sure i keep my bitch home on election day

Hm, I wonder how long your "bitch" will tolerate your attitude, you must pay her well.

Exactly so, I am surprised at the number of expats who do not understand Thai thinking and logic.

Thai logic is not western linear logic of cause and effect, it is multidimensional and often based on emotion and superstition.

With no political experience or background it's essential the public gets a chance to hear Yingluck in a debate as opposed to a scripted campaign trail, if she can hold her own I might vote for her, but hey, this is Thailand where evidently the average voter isn't bothered wi that, as long as she's fresh, speaks softly and is good looking or connected to a successful family then she will do.

Abhisit's government has proven to be just all talks. Hopefully it won't be the same with Yingluck.

But will Yingluck beats the person who's only good with talks and debate? Perhaps not.

............infernal eEe :D NGLISH!!

That would be like Sarah Palin debating with Barak Obama. = Ignorance vs Intelligence.

I suspect that ying-luck is way smarter than sara palin considering her family ties chinese ancestry and probably graduated from high school.

Way better looking as well.

Edited by devaram

Has anyone heard her speak in English yet? How would she hold up at the United Nations or similar global / political venues where she will represent Thailand?

If she looks good enough who cares if she can speak english?

Seriously if she can unite her people it doesnt matter if she can speak english.

English is way over-rated.

Exactly so, I am surprised at the number of expats who do not understand Thai thinking and logic.

Thai logic is not western linear logic of cause and effect, it is multidimensional and often based on emotion and superstition.

I understand it... it is mostly shallow and witless. Hence the popularity of a Mega-Thief Snake Oil Salesman on the run.

Has anyone heard her speak in English yet? How would she hold up at the United Nations or similar global / political venues where she will represent Thailand?

Seriously if she can unite her people it doesnt matter if she can speak english.

That's the big question isn't it? Can she unite her people?

Of course, she'll unite the red shirts, but what about the rest of the country?

Will giving Thaksin amnesty unite Thailand?

she's very smart, i think that abhisit is the one who needs a debate ,not she, abhisit needs to increse his popularity while yingluck is becoming more and more popular among the voters, and what is even more dangerous to abhisit, the popularity of yingluck is going up among the residents of BKK.

She'd probably burst into tears and have her 9 year old son beg for her... :whistling:

English is overrated, lots of us non-native English speakers think so <_<

Having studied abroad her English should be better than that of some of the previous PM's, k. Banharn comes to mind.

Anyway she's ready for the debate, but just waiting for the right time. Rome wasn't build in a day, you know. Still 34 days till the elections, busy schedule, what about June 24 between 1 and 2 AM? If not I still have 15 minutes on the 31st of June ;)

she must have struggled with any oral presentations during her Master degree work in the USA.

Audio file [mp3 format] above of ABC News (Australia) report with Yingluck's comments in English.

she's very smart, i think that abhisit is the one who needs a debate ,not she, abhisit needs to increse his popularity while yingluck is becoming more and more popular among the voters, and what is even more dangerous to abhisit, the popularity of yingluck is going up among the residents of BKK.

Why do you say she's "very smart"?

The public wants the two to debate. If she declines, she's shows two things. Public wishes aren't a concern of hers and she's fearful of debating and expressing her goals and various stands on the issues of the day.

Political interest is often fleeting. The novelty of her candidacy can wear off quickly over the coming weeks, particularly if she keeps dodging issues.