Irony And Its Usage

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scouser: Inside a Bavarian's Lederhosen?

What's it with the Lederhosen? It's a timeless and stately garment for the young rural professional. Don't these young lads and lasses look handsome?

dscf0352.jpg

X-Pat

X-Pat,

If asked to give examples of an oxymoron, I was inclined to suggest " German diplomacy" or " German humour " but in the light of your inestimable posts here and elsewhere I shall have to find other inspiration. By the way, Harry was probably just expressing his Teutonic roots......if it was not for his profound stupidity he might have even gotten away with it by claiming to be making an ironic statement.As it was , given the huge offence it was nevertheless a delicious moment.Another example of English schadenfreude?

Hi all,

Not too easy too understand if something said is ment ironic ore not, as most of the times when (trying) to be ironic, someone mostly says the opposite of what they really mean isn't it?

For example: Bambi tells me: "I like your new avator"

So I assume she means it, but I could be wrong and she was trying to be ironic.

Sarcasm could be something like: Dear forum member, I am truelly impressed by the long reply you just posted, but told so litlle.

So I think sarcasm is easy to recognise but I would propose to invent some sort of

special new irony sign (internationally accepted) to make things (irony) a bit more clear.

Something like that, ore not, ore maybe?

KR,

Alex

Alexlah

For example: Bambi tells me: "I like your new avator"

So I assume she means it, but I could be wrong and she was trying to be ironic.

:o:D dont think too much

well ... sometime went we try to do dry humour in POST ... sometime its hard ..coz people just see only alphabets... can be insult .. if they could see our face and hear our voice .. so they could get it..!!

internet its so called 2 way communication ... same same BUT different , methinks

If asked to give examples of an oxymoron, I was inclined to suggest  " German diplomacy" or " German humour " but in the light of your inestimable posts here and elsewhere I shall have to find other inspiration.

Thank you, deus. Principally I would agree with the above statement. The mentioned qualities are indeed somewhat elusive, but they manifest themselves on occasion to the determined observer.

Cheers, X-Pat

It is a very fine line between irony and sarcasm - as I experienced to my cost,

I'm a Welsh speaking Welshman but spent many years away from Wales including several years in the RAF (where irony comes as part of the package).

I returned to Wales, to a very rural farming community, working as an insurance agent, I thought a bit of humour wouldn't go amiss - and suddenly found myself as 'persona non grata' in many households.

Problem is, they took my banter as genuine sarcasm, My sales took a nose-dive and I often felt that I had the numbers '666' on my foreheat.

The upshot is that one man's humour is another man's insult.

:o

you are a very jolly looking fellow

So polite and gentlemanly :D

Doc, would that be classed as "irony" or "Sarcasm" :o:D

I'm unsure Bo. Could you ask an English teacher on here :D

i wasnt being either he just looks like a jolly chap

can someone start a thread about being sincere

:D