Do You Support Legalization Of Same Sex Marriage In Thailand?

Jingthing

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JDinasia -

Be a man and just admit you can't answer my question.

I answered your question in the same post that I stated we both were biased --- the one you quoted (then later claimed that you didn't quote any posts) ..... Feel free to refer back to it :)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JDinasia -

I answered your question in the same post that I stated we both were biased --- the one you quoted (then later claimed that you didn't quote any posts) ..... Feel free to refer back to it :)

What was he no. of the post? I never quoted any posts with an answer to my question, which still hasn't been answered as you can't, and are pathetically trying to hide the fact by all this cryptic quoting talk.

Name the post number(or not) so we can see once and for all you are speaking through your a*** (which it wasn't designed for) :D

Edited by saraburioz

Slate said in 2011 "In China, the pressure to form a heterosexual marriage is so acute that 80 percent of China's gay population marries straight people. :blink:

Slate? Statistics come from? How does that fit with your claim about Nations indicating attitudes of people?

LOL ... I looked it up ____ It was a story about FAKE marriages to satisfy parents :) I know quite a few Th/Ch that have made the same choices ---

While past generations buried their sexuality in straight marriages, the people gathered at the yoga studio are trying a new approach. No. 8 (the men sport numbered buttons in a pleasing shade of blue, the women's are pink), a pretty 22-year-old woman with curly dyed chestnut hair, skinny jeans, and Snoopy slippers wants a fake marriage to ease parental pressure, but she doesn't want a baby. No. 15, a strikingly tall man with side-swept bangs, says: "I want to get married for my parents, but I think lying to them will make me feel terrible. So I want to have a fake marriage with a lesbian girl, but just for one or two years, and then I want a divorce to show my parents that I am not a marriage type." There's one constant: All the participants talk about pleasing their parents.......

Back at the fake-marriage market, Fen Yu and his friends see themselves as the "transitional" generation. While they can't come out to their parents, they can, at least, be open about their sexuality among friends, go to gay bars, and date. "For the generation after ours, it might be easier," he says, "Our parents have no idea what homosexuality is. It's very difficult, because it's just opening up."

If Fen becomes a father, his will be a different approach: "I might not be able to tell my parents," he says, "but when my child grows up, I will tell them the real story about why it happened and who I am.".

http://www.msnbc.msn...hinas-gays-out/

--- but still -- YOUR argument was about nations --- India and China are moving along nicely in legislation (taking care of about 30%+ of the world's population (killing your 90% statement) and Indonesia is progressing and Jordan has been more progressive than most since 1951 ,,, killing the Muslim argument. Brazil and Mexico etc take care of the Catholicism issue .... So .. adding India, China, all of North America, almost all of Europe, parts of the Middle East, ..... It is safe to say that your suggestion of 90% was ---- possibly only indicative of a bit of bias and a look at numbers of countries (that you got way wrong :)

Just to re state my position, I am an enlightened thinker and a really flexible guy who does not have a horse in the race. The odds of me getting married again to any gender are between slim and none.

Taking a casual perusal of the world's dwindling gay population I estimated that perhaps one out of ten people would favor same sex marriage. But you have presented some reasonable arguments to the contrary.

So what do you figure reality is? 2 out of 10 favor same sex marriages worldwide?

Dwindling? How so?

I would guess he tried to slip in some kind of retro false myth that gays are all dying of AIDS. There's a lot of HATRED of gays out there. It's here to see in plan view on this forum.

I don't know statistics for the world, but the latest USA polls I have read show a majority favoring gay marriage legalization, and it's radical different based on age. Young people massively don't have a problem with it. So that's the future. Deal with it. It's absurd to think you have to be gay to favor gay marriage. That's as ridiculous as asserting you had to be black or Asian to support the abolition of laws against interracial marriages that were in effect in many USA states not so long ago.

Edited by Jingthing

Dwindling? How so?

I would guess he tried to slip in some kind of retro false myth that gays are all dying of AIDS. There's a lot of HATRED of gays out there. It's here to see in plan view on this forum.

I don't know statistics for the world, but the latest USA polls I have read show a majority favoring gay marriage legalization, and it's radical different based on age. Young people massively don't have a problem with it. So that's the future. Deal with it. It's absurd to think you have to be gay to favor gay marriage. That's as ridiculous as asserting you had to be black or Asian to support the abolition of laws against interracial marriages that were in effect in many USA states not so long ago.

AIDS hadn't crossed my mind. And my question had to do with approval of same sex marriage world wide not in the US. Nor did my question have to do with the other 20 countries that currently approve same sex marriage.

Dwindling? How so?

Dwindling as a percent because the areas of highest population growth have lower gay percentage populations. And I don't know for sure because I am not really up on this stuff bud didn't Kinsey go from 10 to 5 percent in their latest surveys?

Dwindling? How so?

Dwindling as a percent because the areas of highest population growth have lower gay percentage populations. And I don't know for sure because I am not really up on this stuff bud didn't Kinsey go from 10 to 5 percent in their latest surveys?

You really aren't up! Kinsey is dead. SINCE 1956. (OMG) It isn't a contest, however, for dwindling or not dwindling. IT DOESN'T MATER! This is a matter of equal rights for all minorities, even small ones. I think you are referring to more modern studies that legitimately challenge the politically motivated assertion that gays are 1 in 10 globally. That can never be fully proven or disproved anyway. What is gay exactly? 100 people, 100 opinions. I tend to agree that globally a percentage well under 5 percent is more likely, that doesn't mean at all that gays are dwindling! It just means the definitions of gays and the measuring metrics (and politics) have changed over time. The obvious reality is that to prove gays are dwindling or not dwindling percentagewise is completely unknowable. Edited by Jingthing

Gay percentages are roughly the same in all populations. The only difference is the degree of openness, and the willingness to response truthfully to surveys.

What "low percentage" gay places are you referring to, anyway? I hope you don't mean India or China, where gay life is exploding exponentially...

AIDS hadn't crossed my mind. And my question had to do with approval of same sex marriage world wide not in the US. Nor did my question have to do with the other 20 countries that currently approve same sex marriage.

OK. Thanks for your clarification.

Dwindling? How so?

You really aren't up! Kinsey is dead. SINCE 1956. (OMG) It isn't a contest, however, for dwindling or not dwindling. IT DOESN'T MATER! This is a matter of equal rights for all minorities, even small ones. I think you are referring to more modern studies that legitimately challenge the politically motivated assertion that gays are 1 in 10 globally. That can never be fully proven or disproved anyway. What is gay exactly? 100 people, 100 opinions. I tend to agree that globally a percentage well under 5 percent is more likely, that doesn't mean at all that gays are dwindling! It just means the definitions of gays and the measuring metrics (and politics) have changed over time. The obvious reality is that to prove gays are dwindling or not dwindling percentagewise is completely unknowable.

Actually I was interested in what you thought the world wide approval percent of same sex marriages was.

Gay percentages are roughly the same in all populations. The only difference is the degree of openness, and the willingness to response truthfully to surveys.

What "low percentage" gay places are you referring to, anyway? I hope you don't mean India or China, where gay life is exploding exponentially...

Yes indeed.

Remember the scary leader in Iran who has claimed many times there are no gays in Iran? Hilarious and sad. Not counting the ones murdered by the government there, of course they are everywhere. They may be very repressed there (they are) and some who don't wish to have resorted to cutting off their penises to conform to the oppression there, but you can never wipe out what is so natural and universal.

I didn't know that percentages of gays were the same in all cultures. News to me but that is not actually how I was thinking about it. I was thinking that people who are starving don't think about sex as much as people who are University students at Oxford.

Although the starving farmers may be gay I doubt if their actions are consistent with gay populations in first world countries; hence they would be less likely to be concerned about same sex marriage.

I think the populations are increasing faster among areas that have a lot of starving people than in first world countries who have the time to think about issues like same sex marriage.

Slate said in 2011 "In China, the pressure to form a heterosexual marriage is so acute that 80 percent of China's gay population marries straight people. :blink:

Slate? Statistics come from? How does that fit with your claim about Nations indicating attitudes of people?

LOL ... I looked it up ____ It was a story about FAKE marriages to satisfy parents :) I know quite a few Th/Ch that have made the same choices ---

While past generations buried their sexuality in straight marriages, the people gathered at the yoga studio are trying a new approach. No. 8 (the men sport numbered buttons in a pleasing shade of blue, the women's are pink), a pretty 22-year-old woman with curly dyed chestnut hair, skinny jeans, and Snoopy slippers wants a fake marriage to ease parental pressure, but she doesn't want a baby. No. 15, a strikingly tall man with side-swept bangs, says: "I want to get married for my parents, but I think lying to them will make me feel terrible. So I want to have a fake marriage with a lesbian girl, but just for one or two years, and then I want a divorce to show my parents that I am not a marriage type." There's one constant: All the participants talk about pleasing their parents.......

Back at the fake-marriage market, Fen Yu and his friends see themselves as the "transitional" generation. While they can't come out to their parents, they can, at least, be open about their sexuality among friends, go to gay bars, and date. "For the generation after ours, it might be easier," he says, "Our parents have no idea what homosexuality is. It's very difficult, because it's just opening up."

If Fen becomes a father, his will be a different approach: "I might not be able to tell my parents," he says, "but when my child grows up, I will tell them the real story about why it happened and who I am.".

--- but still -- YOUR argument was about nations --- India and China are moving along nicely in legislation (taking care of about 30%+ of the world's population (killing your 90% statement) and Indonesia is progressing and Jordan has been more progressive than most since 1951 ,,, killing the Muslim argument. Brazil and Mexico etc take care of the Catholicism issue .... So .. adding India, China, all of North America, almost all of Europe, parts of the Middle East, ..... It is safe to say that your suggestion of 90% was ---- possibly only indicative of a bit of bias and a look at numbers of countries (that you got way wrong :)

Just to re state my position, I am an enlightened thinker and a really flexible guy who does not have a horse in the race. The odds of me getting married again to any gender are between slim and none.

Taking a casual perusal of the world's dwindling gay population I estimated that perhaps one out of ten people would favor same sex marriage. But you have presented some reasonable arguments to the contrary.

So what do you figure reality is? 2 out of 10 favor same sex marriages worldwide?

What do I figure? 7 out of 10 people have never given it ANY thought and would have no opinion.

Countries on the whole --- including countries you appeared to be arguing that would be against the basic concept are changing and becoming more liberal in their thinking about basic human rights. Including India, Mexico, Brazil, Jordan, China etc ....

Populations represented by countries that have had a major favorable change in equality for gays and lesbians represent at least 50% of the world's population over the last 20 or so years.

The problem with your arguments is you keep changing the goalpost ---- is it people or countries? If it is people then the phrasing of the question would be vital.

Q#1 --- Are you in favor of equal rights for all people regardless of age, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual identity, gender, etc? --- would get a different response than ...

Q#2 --- Should there be a specific law affording protection to gay/Lesbian relationships?

While I think most people (well over 50%) would agree with Q#1

I only think that it would be in the West that the percentage for Q#2 would have over 50% agreement.

Many people would see Q2 as "special rights" and/or react out of basic prejudice. Most people would see Q1 as just basic human rights and only some 'phobes would react harshly against it ...

Q#3 ---- Should all people be treated equally under the law? Would likely get near 100% of people answering "yes" and all things being equal --- Equal=Equal

Dwindling numbers for gays? --- silly concept

There is a LOT of revisionist work going on -- and some "relabeling" --- Some men that only have or only have/had sex with men are not being labeled as "gay" any more because "they don't consider themselves gay" ---- to which I say ... Baaaa!

I didn't know that percentages of gays were the same in all cultures. News to me but that is not actually how I was thinking about it. I was thinking that people who are starving don't think about sex as much as people who are University students at Oxford.

Although the starving farmers may be gay I doubt if their actions are consistent with gay populations in first world countries; hence they would be less likely to be concerned about same sex marriage.

I think the populations are increasing faster among areas that have a lot of starving people than in first world countries who have the time to think about issues like same sex marriage.

Homosexuality is not the same thing as gay marriage. I agree starving people must think of food first. Frankly, I find your point irrelevant as that is about all humanity and nothing to do with sex ORIENTATION.

JDinasia -

What was he no. of the post? I never quoted any posts with an answer to my question, which still hasn't been answered as you can't, and are pathetically trying to hide the fact by all this cryptic quoting talk.

Name the post number(or not) so we can see once and for all you are speaking through your a*** (which it wasn't designed for) :D

Another hint ----- When I said "Am I biased? Yes. Are you biased? Yes." the post went on to explain the bias we both have ... You only quoted the first 2 lines of that post --- then denied quoting any post at all ...

Another hint --- it comes soon after post 100 where you (correctly) state I am biased. Your bias is evident in almost all of your posts. Statements like "It isn't natural" are simply lies. Statements like "only a few years ago" when it was almost 40 years ago, are lies (or you are EXTREMELY old to think of almost 4 decades as a few years!) etc etc etc etc etc etc :)

What do I figure? 7 out of 10 people have never given it ANY thought and would have no opinion.

Countries on the whole --- including countries you appeared to be arguing that would be against the basic concept are changing and becoming more liberal in their thinking about basic human rights. Including India, Mexico, Brazil, Jordan, China etc ....

Populations represented by countries that have had a major favorable change in equality for gays and lesbians represent at least 50% of the world's population over the last 20 or so years.

The problem with your arguments is you keep changing the goalpost ---- is it people or countries? If it is people then the phrasing of the question would be vital.

Q#1 --- Are you in favor of equal rights for all people regardless of age, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual identity, gender, etc? --- would get a different response than ...

Q#2 --- Should there be a specific law affording protection to gay/Lesbian relationships?

I only think that it would be in the West that the percentage for Q#2 would have over 50% agreement.

Many people would see Q2 as "special rights" and/or react out of basic prejudice. Most people would see Q1 as just basic human rights and only some 'phobes would react harshly against it ...

Q#3 ---- Should all people be treated equally under the law? Would likely get near 100% of people answering "yes" and all things being equal --- Equal=Equal

There is a LOT of revisionist work going on -- and some "relabeling" --- Some men that only have or only have/had sex with men are not being labeled as "gay" any more because "they don't consider themselves gay" ---- to which I say ... Baaaa!

So following on what you said, “7 out of 10 have no opinion.” I assume since you have an opinion about people not having an opinion you would also have an opinion on whether they would favor same sex marriages.

75% of the Thai Visa members taking the above survey favor same sex or domestic partner union. How many people world wide would favor the same thing?

Starving people don't care about what their neighbors are doing in bed as much as people that are Oxford students, is probably a much more realistic statement. In poor rural populations the concept of "marriage" in the classical sense that Westerners consider it is likely not as rigid. Your argument about population increase could be accurate but it certainly isn't the case in Thailand or China. (Thailand 1.66 TFR --- China 1.54 TFR ---- which states that the total population is declining and aging as it needs to be 2.0 to be stable and 2.0+ for the population to be increasing and getting younger.) (source CIA WorldFactbook)

another interesting source

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_bir_rat-people-birth-rate

For those that like graphical representation -----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_fertility_rate

I would say your assumptions about population growth might be an issue KerryK --- I would also note that many of the countries with the highest TFR also have the lowest life-expectancy rates from birth. Note sub-saharan Africa.

Yes.

But marriage is not about equal rights.

Marriage is a patriarchal structure of oppression and possession. It's a construct of gender roles, it defines what a man has to be to be a *man* and what a woman has to be to be a *woman*. The two different roles are not seen as "equal", even if by law any discrimination is eliminated.

I wouldn't be surprised if those who are pro same-sex marriage live or want to live in a relationship where the two partners have different roles. No matter if its one between man and woman or a same sex relationship. Top and bottom it's called in the latter case, right? Its about rule and subordination, possession and (sexual) restriction.

So following on what you said, "7 out of 10 have no opinion." I assume since you have an opinion about people not having an opinion you would also have an opinion on whether they would favor same sex marriages.

75% of the Thai Visa members taking the above survey favor same sex or domestic partner union. How many people world wide would favor the same thing?

You are changing the parameters again ---- If 7 out of 10 have no opinion --- that relates directly to your claim of 90% opposed. Not opposed --- just don't think about the topic ---

BTW --- from your constant changing of the goal-line I would suggest that you do have a horse in the race --- even if it is just a figurative "intellectual horse" (Mr Ed?)

As for your new parameters --- I think I addressed them above in Q1 Q2 and Q3 ;) ---- It all depends on how you ask the question.

Who cares? I personally don't give a toss about the opinions of people like the Ugandans, Saudis, and North Koreans. Their opinions have zero relevance as to what is right and wrong as far as most civilized people are concerned.

civilized people ... <_< - The White Man, the patriarch, speaks.

Jdinasia,

I didn't ask about equal rights. I only asked you what percent of people world wide you think would favor same sex marriage. You answered a bunch of other questions about equal rights and people not having an opinion but all I really wanted was your opinion on the number of people world wide who would favor same sex marriage.

If everyone had to have an opinion either yes or no how many people world would be in favor of same sex marriage?

Jdinasia,

I didn't ask about equal rights. I only asked you what percent of people world wide you think would favor same sex marriage. You answered a bunch of other questions about equal rights and people not having an opinion but all I really wanted was your opinion on the number of people world wide who would favor same sex marriage.

If everyone had to have an opinion either yes or no how many people world would be in favor of same sex marriage?

KerryK ----- Like I said about your horse .... :)

It depends on how the question is phrased. Your new and added stipulation of "if everyone HAD to have an opinion" is simply silly. How long would the questioner have to explain the question .... How many people have never considered the question (70% at least imho) etc etc Marriage rights are equal rights ---- phrase it one way and you get a different answer than phrasing it a different way.

If you want to keep playing the Mr Ed game --- let's limit it to the topic ... Thailand. Then agree to the phrasing of the question :)

In Thailand it would need to be phrased in a longish multi-part question in most places. I think you could arrive at a more than 50% "Yes" to the question phrased like this ......

Q: Do you think that all Thais should be treated equally under the law, and if so, would this extend to allowing gay people, of either gender, and khatoey to register their relationships at the amphur office?

I think that with an active civil-rights education movement that the numbers could be improved to about 70% with simple education on the subject of why it would help Thai people in situations of medical care and inheritance etc. Phrased as above I think it would just pass 50% and possibly approach 60% approval.

I think that approval rating would remain high in all sub-groups of Thais other than Th/Ch over 50 years old and it would remain that high in the Muslim communities except possibly in the ethnic Yawi communities in Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, and Songkhla (and even then I am not sure, because my landlord in Kamala was Yawi and had absolutely no problems with gay people!)

So what is the damage that not straight people are effectively causing to society? Can anyone please explain to me? If a man decides to not to get his share in the other sex, effectively leaving you with more choice/availability, how is that going to hurt you ? you should "love" them instead for this choice(in the figurative sense of the term...but even in the other sense if you prefer :D )

Samurai: has nothing to do with "white" or "not white".

You and I both know that some places on this planet are behind the curve when it comes to being civilized. Unless you consider chopping a hand off or blinding a man "civilized". Or sentencing someone to death for being gay, or for hiding a cell phone under your bed.

You still want to get all PC when it comes to barbarisms like this?

Jdinasia,

KerryK ----- Like I said about your horse .... :)

It depends on how the question is phrased. Your new and added stipulation of "if everyone HAD to have an opinion" is simply silly. How long would the questioner have to explain the question .... How many people have never considered the question (70% at least imho) etc etc Marriage rights are equal rights ---- phrase it one way and you get a different answer than phrasing it a different way.

If you want to keep playing the Mr Ed game --- let's limit it to the topic ... Thailand. Then agree to the phrasing of the question :)

In Thailand it would need to be phrased in a longish multi-part question in most places. I think you could arrive at a more than 50% "Yes" to the question phrased like this ......

Q: Do you think that all Thais should be treated equally under the law, and if so, would this extend to allowing gay people, of either gender, and khatoey to register their relationships at the amphur office?

I think that with an active civil-rights education movement that the numbers could be improved to about 70% with simple education on the subject of why it would help Thai people in situations of medical care and inheritance etc. Phrased as above I think it would just pass 50% and possibly approach 60% approval.

I think that approval rating would remain high in all sub-groups of Thais other than Th/Ch over 50 years old and it would remain that high in the Muslim communities except possibly in the ethnic Yawi communities in Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, and Songkhla (and even then I am not sure, because my landlord in Kamala was Yawi and had absolutely no problems with gay people!)

You are just too bright for me and too complicated. I am just a simple guy. If all the people on the planet had to vote tomorrow on having same sex marriage legal how do you think they would vote? Percent yes and no?

Not a trick question. Make same sex marriage legal, check one box, yes or no.