Do You Support Legalization Of Same Sex Marriage In Thailand?

Jingthing

239 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The "church" (temple) in Thailand already performs same-sex marriages. It has forever.

But religious marriages in Thailand have no legal status here, whether for straights or gays. Only going down to the amphur and registering a civil union makes it legal -- and this is not yet open to same-sex couples.

It is probably worth noting that I do not know of any mainstream temple in Thailand that has forbidden these commitment ceremonies. I do know that in 2004 the Santi-Asoke temples would NOT do them. (They are a very

small religious community of what I would describe as "fundamentalists" while others have called them a cult. I have spent some time at the Pathom Asoke temple/community and found them very interesting but a bit 'scary'.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "church" (temple) in Thailand already performs same-sex marriages. It has forever.

But religious marriages in Thailand have no legal status here, whether for straights or gays. Only going down to the amphur and registering a civil union makes it legal -- and this is not yet open to same-sex couples.

Religious marriage has no legal status in most places - you have to get a license, jump through various hoops, and THEN the marriage can be performed, either by a religious or a civil authority.

My point is that the legal ( i.e., state-granted) benefits accorded committed couples should be available regardless of sexual orientation. Religious sanction of that union is, and should be, determined by the philosophy of the church.

Thailand has it half right, and, as such, is way ahead of most of the West.

LOL...and I have some gay friends who could kick your "manly" ass into a sad mess.

My 13yo daughter won a gold medal in TKD couple weeks ago......I'd like to see them try.

I wasn't talking about your daughter...I was talking about you. Since you fancy yourself as so "manly" and gays as so "girly", that is.

I dont fancy myself....I am not that way inclined.

For what it's worth (very little, I know):

Over the last 2 days I have asked at least 28 Thai people (I kept count but may have forgotten a couple) -- ranging in age from 23 to 58, and in occupation as various as university student, factory worker, office worker, executive, taxi driver, socialite, and even a monk -- 2 questions:

Would you support a law allowing homosexual marriage?

Do you think Thai society as a whole would support a law allowing homosexual marriage?

Every single one answered in the affirmative to the first question (though a couple admitted to some disdain for Gay men).

All but 2 answered affirmative to the second (though a couple said that most Thais would feel that there are other things far higher in priority right now).

For what it's worth (very little, I know):

Over the last 2 days I have asked at least 28 Thai people (I kept count but may have forgotten a couple) -- ranging in age from 23 to 58, and in occupation as various as university student, factory worker, office worker, executive, taxi driver, socialite, and even a monk -- 2 questions:

Would you support a law allowing homosexual marriage?

Do you think Thai society as a whole would support a law allowing homosexual marriage?

Every single one answered in the affirmative to the first question (though a couple admitted to some disdain for Gay men).

All but 2 answered affirmative to the second (though a couple said that most Thais would feel that there are other things far higher in priority right now).

Cool ....

Over the past 2 days I have done nothing so productive for this thread ;) I did find out that one of my co-worker's daughter is in a 6 year committed relationship with another woman and that they live at home and she refers to her daughter's partner as "daughter-in-law".

Then again I work in a work-place where it would be rude to ask such questions .... (I am a boss --- greng-jai would pretty much force a yes out of everyone, so greng-jai means I can't ask ;)

Then again I work in a work-place where it would be rude to ask such questions .... (I am a boss --- greng-jai would pretty much force a yes out of everyone, so greng-jai means I can't ask ;)

I didn't only ask these question at work.

My work is apparently less formal.

I didn't ask any (direct) subordinates.

And as I'm not Gay* and in most cases the people almost certainly knew that, as well as the care with which I framed the inquiry, I believe there was a far less chance of Greng Jai being as much of a factor (certainly an openly Gay boss asking his subordinates this question would never hear a "no" -- and would (in most cases), in my opinion, be acting unfairly and inappropriately)

And most importantly: I was inadvertently misleading in the previous post; to clarify: I put the question(s) listed but framed them as if they weren't mine personally and was careful to give no clue as to what I thought the answer would or should be or what mine was. I introduced the topic as indeed is truthful: 'a bunch f foreigners were debating the question(s)' but I added that they/we wondered what Thais would say...

* Not to revisit what we've done to death but I can only hope that you can see the relevance of that point in this context and why I make it. smile.gif

Edited by SteeleJoe

I didn't only ask these question at work.

My work is apparently less formal.

I didn't ask any (direct) subordinates.

And as I'm not Gay* and in most cases the people almost certainly knew that, as well as the care with which I framed the inquiry, I believe there was a far less chance of Greng Jai being as much of a factor (certainly an openly Gay boss asking his subordinates this question would never hear a "no" -- and would (in most cases), in my opinion, be acting unfairly and inappropriately)

And most importantly: I was inadvertently misleading in the previous post; to clarify: I put the question(s) listed but framed them as if they weren't mine personally and was careful to give no clue as to what I thought the answer would or should be or what mine was. I introduced the topic as indeed is truthful: 'a bunch f foreigners were debating the question(s)' but I added that they/we wondered what Thais would say...

* Not to revisit what we've done to death but I can only hope that you can see the relevance of that point in this context and why I make it. smile.gif

My work is very informal but I only have 1 peer and one boss ... everyone else is an employee :) Just no way I could ask it and get anything but a yes.

Sorry Anterian --- I should have pointed out the exact inaccuracy.

it is never exclusive

That is simply wrong.

Again this thread is about 1 species --- homosapiens :)

Bump to reference a post in another thread.

This is what happens when you try to "cure" their people of their natural, normal self:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/06/07/sissy.boy.experiment/index.html

That's a tragic story!

I don't believe in "OUTING" except in cases of such blatant hypocrisy .. such as politicians that gain office running anti-gay campaigns but are gay --- religious leaders including folks backing groups like Focus on the Family etc that get caught in gay scandals etc etc etc (Leaders of the Ex-Gay movement seem to manage to get in trouble often :)

I feel sorry for those that they "lead astray" in teaching self-hatred etc ... instead of acceptance and tolerance.

For every story of defeat at those that would crush gay people --- there is a story of hope --- this link has both

Written by the gay grandson of a famous televangelist in the USA. He talks about religious extremism, his gay uncle's suicide .. and life.

Many of us from the USA will remember "Something Good is Going to Happen to You!"

http://thislandpress.com/05/25/2010/something-good-is-going-to-happen-to-you/

Edited by jdinasia

• 11 months later...

Looks like all the previous related topics were locked, and I didn't see an appropriate place to start a new thread so sorry for this approach, feedback welcome.

Just thought this was mind-blowing enough to justify, may be of interest for those more open-minded than the average TVer.

Edit: JingTing informed me he'd already posted to the segregated gay forum, the ones that would benefit the most probably wouldn't want to be caught dead over there eh?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

The issue of transgender is different from being gay, however, the confusion is understandable.

There is a topic about a transgender child running here:

In the World News Section there is this topic about US President Obama's support for Gay marriage.

It isn't natural, so shouldn't be allowed.

I've even heard that homosexuals should be able to adopt - what a load of bollo****

Sorry to burst your little balloon there buddy, but might want to take up a little reading in the subject before you use that hackneyed term "natural" Read this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals