Cheap Cheddar Cheddar Cheese? Any Domestic Brands?

timmyp

thanks puchooay got your message i think i sent you a reply,also thanks tobeano 2274 i have seen a price list for that xl cheese 120bht x 250grms.if right that is more than good.

Buriram safe? Certainly is. I am a little close to the recent action, certainly could hear the artillery loud and clear, but had no need to evacuate, nor was under any direct threat. But about 10 villages were evacuated. Two shells landed in one village, but no others. We really cannot work out what they were firing at. Definitely , not at each others artillery, . Shells were dropping in farm land, but with minimal damage. One could be forgiven posing the question: " Was it all, not just a public relations exercise"?On both sides.I spent half a day in Sai To Sip Tai, which had been evacuated, could hear the Boom-Booms, but did not feel unsafe or threatened. At all. Although , the house did get the shakes a bit.What is this thing you call SuphanBuri? About 30 years ago , it was re-named BanharnJamsai Buri. For obvious reasons.55555555.

Buriram safe? Certainly is. I am a little close to the recent action, certainly could hear the artillery loud and clear, but had no need to evacuate, nor was under any direct threat. But about 10 villages were evacuated. Two shells landed in one village, but no others. We really cannot work out what they were firing at. Definitely , not at each others artillery, . Shells were dropping in farm land, but with minimal damage. One could be forgiven posing the question: " Was it all, not just a public relations exercise"?On both sides.I spent half a day in Sai To Sip Tai, which had been evacuated, could hear the Boom-Booms, but did not feel unsafe or threatened. At all. Although , the house did get the shakes a bit.What is this thing you call SuphanBuri? About 30 years ago , it was re-named BanharnJamsai Buri. For obvious reasons.55555555.

Ive heard all the Jokes. My Favorite. Banharns Tower is like the Residents. Stuck Up for No Good Reason. Mind You its dam clean for a Thai City, and his family are not Snooty. You must form a Dads Army, and id be carefull saying Boom Boom in front of Ladies if i were You.:D :D

C.H., Be wary of anything Labelled "Aro" Generally poor quality ,made to a price, Some of their products are awful. But they are the cheapest ,often by far.

I Think so too, there is no Good Cheap Stuff. I rely on English and Canadian friends to bring it over. The thought of Buriram having anything to do with fine Food sounds unusual, just Low Cow and Lao Food when i went there.I just rely on Lotus if i run out a200Bht block of Chedar. A tip. Microwaves can pull more flavour out of ARO Wax than a Grill.:)

There are now many places in Buriram province where you can get half-decent Western food.

And some places where the food is wholly decent :rolleyes:

ahem...the changwat suphanburi tescos has got mainland mature and mild cheddar and edam and gouda...I always load up with an assortment of 7-8 250g blocks when I'm at home before I return to the job in VN...when at work, the other expat engineers hungrily eye up my goods as I prepare a mainland cheese sandwich for breakfast at my desk and then languorously consume; they had stinkin' corn flakes for their breakfast back at their hotel, they're not too creative...

the VN engineers don't give a shit; they don't eat no cheese...:)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Where can I get Makro and Anchor cheese? I've seen some expensive cheeses sold in butcher section of some fancy food stores (Emporium, Central Food Hall on Chitlom, the food store above Isetan...), but haven't seen the brands you mention, Makro and Anchor.

Hmm! At any Makro store!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Thanks so much for the info about Makro! When I read the earlier postings, I misunderstood that it was a brand name of cheese... Anyway, it's a great store... and membership is free!

I bought a HUGE brick of cheese-- 5 kilos-- for just 726 baht. It's a mild cheddar import from the States. I love the sharper stuff too, but the mild is great for making an entire meal out of. Exactly what I was looking to buy.

On top of that, they had big tubs of cottage cheese from Germany, 1.5 kilos for 450 baht. Such a great deal...

I don't imagine that these are normal sizes for normal people, but I love my dairy products.

Thank you for the tip!

2_detailimg_4d4999800c9a6_specialreserveextrasharpcheddar.jpg

Heaven if I have ever seen it !

Cheep and Cheese is not one and the same here in Thailand. Makro does seem to have the lowest costing, but it is nothing like back in the states. I get loafs of cheese there as well as frozen grated to add to things like eggs and other dishes. Thailand does have a few cheese factories, but Thailand really is not big on dairy products. Up here in Chiang Mai near the Airport Tesco there is a Cheese factory called Hideaway. They make many types, but does not taste like back home. When friends come I asked them to bring a little heaven with them.

Thanks so much for the info about Makro! When I read the earlier postings, I misunderstood that it was a brand name of cheese... Anyway, it's a great store... and membership is free!

I bought a HUGE brick of cheese-- 5 kilos-- for just 726 baht. It's a mild cheddar import from the States. I love the sharper stuff too, but the mild is great for making an entire meal out of. Exactly what I was looking to buy.

On top of that, they had big tubs of cottage cheese from Germany, 1.5 kilos for 450 baht. Such a great deal...

I don't imagine that these are normal sizes for normal people, but I love my dairy products.

Thank you for the tip!

I think you will find that it is 2.27 kg.

Brand name Pauly or similar.

The Villa in Hua hin carries a brand called California Premium. They have small block and sliced packs. They have in block Sharp chedder (orange), Mild chedder. Mozz, Monterry Jack. in sliced they have Provalone, and Swiss. The cost is 105 bt block or sliced. It is not the best cheese in the world but is worth the reasonable price, especially the swiss which being on the mild side is the only shortcoming. Its worth a try.

Edited by metisdead
Font size reset to default forum font.