Cheap Cheddar Cheddar Cheese? Any Domestic Brands?

timmyp

I find a variety of cheeses at various stores, but it's all a bit expensive. Thailand makes loads of dairy products, but when it comes to domestic cheeses, I've only seen processed cheese. Nasty stuff, processed cheese is. Is there any domestically made natural cheddar? I figure that would be the cheapest...

If not, is there a place where I can buy some cheap mild cheddar? Buying in big bulk is fine with me, I eat heaps of cheese, it won't spoil. Mild cheddar is usually the cheapest natural cheese, because it hasn't been aged for very long.

The best deal I've found is an Australian import, Tasty Mainland cheddar cheese, 250 grams for about 175 baht. This cheese is easy to find, but does anyone know of a better value?

The California brand is good enough for me! I bought some before, and thought it quite a good deal at 105 baht for 227 g (mild cheddar slices). Last time couple times I was at Villa, though, they didn't have it in stock. Seems like Villa only temporarily stocks the stuff I like!! Wish I could check their current stock before making the trip down there...

To answer my own question about domestic cheeses, I realized that I had Caroline brand in my fridge. It's made here in Thailand. I bought Caroline Colby, 160 baht for 200 g.

Then I stumbled across a posting where someone compares the cheddar cheeses at Villa. Here's the link. It's in Japanese, but you don't have to read Japanese to see the brands, amounts, and prices.

http://www.bangkokmadam.net/bangkok_life/zadankai/cheddar2.html

Could try Makro,Chedder cheese is around ฿750 a Kilo.

For that price I think you can get Anchor (rather than their own brand).

Sorry I think Wildoats has got the price right at 790 for 2 Kgms

We are talking chalk and cheese - or at least Anchor cheddar and "Pauley" cheese that Mike bought.

I am sure the last 2kg Anchor pack I bought was 750 Bt but I will stand corrected.

Last time I bought cheese at Makro

Anchor cheddar was 790 baht for a 2 kg pack, next to it was another pack @ 590 baht, the taste is fine, forget the name as I cut it into blocks and put into 6 air tight containers in the fridge, just opened last container, still perfectly fine the same as Anchor cheddar after 5 or 6 months.

has anybody tried the chedder made by xl foods ltd.its produced down patts,ihave tried to get it in korat but no luck,its made by guys who knows how to make good cheese they come from cheshire uk. they have a website thailandcheese.com

has anybody tried the chedder made by xl foods ltd.its produced down patts,ihave tried to get it in korat but no luck,its made by guys who knows how to make good cheese they come from cheshire uk. they have a website thailandcheese.com

Yep, nice cheese, simply lush grilled over tomato on toast.

Yep, nice cheese, simply lush grilled over tomato on toast.

touch of welsh rarebit its lovelly,i want some

Yes I have tried it.It's great. I know a guy who distributes it in Buriram and some parts of Khorat. PM me and I will give you is number.

Yes I have tried it.It's great. I know a guy who distributes it in Buriram and some parts of Khorat. PM me and I will give you is number.

sorry puchooay i havnt got a clue how to post a pm.

Look at the picture on the left, just under his name, you will see an envelope click this and you can send him a PM.

In his case under the words "advanced member"

Edited by beano2274

Last time I bought cheese at Makro

Anchor cheddar was 790 baht for a 2 kg pack, next to it was another pack @ 590 baht, the taste is fine, forget the name as I cut it into blocks and put into 6 air tight containers in the fridge, just opened last container, still perfectly fine the same as Anchor cheddar after 5 or 6 months.

Thank you ignis forthe correction - Anchor 790 not 750.

I think the other one is Makro's own brand - ARO - but I thought it was now over 600 Baht ?

I have sent you one. Click on "messenger"

Where can I get Makro and Anchor cheese? I've seen some expensive cheeses sold in butcher section of some fancy food stores (Emporium, Central Food Hall on Chitlom, the food store above Isetan...), but haven't seen the brands you mention, Makro and Anchor.

Last time (at Macro) I got Egmont (New Zealand or Australian) which is a hard cheese like cheddar. It was on special at 550B for 2Kg (hence I tried it). Was pretty good for most things, but a slight bitter aftertaste if eating on its own or with crackers. FIne melted on toast or in a Jacket spud though!

I have found getting friends and family to bring me hard cheeses from the UK is the only way to get decent hard cheese here - Cheddar/Red Leister/etc. Edam and Mozzerella is available here of OK quality though (Macro).

C.H., Be wary of anything Labelled "Aro" Generally poor quality ,made to a price, Some of their products are awful. But they are the cheapest ,often by far.

Thanks - I am usually very selective on ARO products. The Dory is good value and tastes fine and there is...............................

........................................... ?

We used to use ARO cheese for omelettes etc but no good for sandwiches/baguettes so we quickly switched to Anchor.

C.H., Be wary of anything Labelled "Aro" Generally poor quality ,made to a price, Some of their products are awful. But they are the cheapest ,often by far.

I Think so too, there is no Good Cheap Stuff. I rely on English and Canadian friends to bring it over. The thought of Buriram having anything to do with fine Food sounds unusual, just Low Cow and Lao Food when i went there.I just rely on Lotus if i run out a200Bht block of Chedar. A tip. Microwaves can pull more flavour out of ARO Wax than a Grill.:)

I Think so too, there is no Good Cheap Stuff. I rely on English and Canadian friends to bring it over. The thought of Buriram having anything to do with fine Food sounds unusual, just Low Cow and Lao Food when i went there.I just rely on Lotus if i run out a200Bht block of Chedar. A tip. Microwaves can pull more flavour out of ARO Wax than a Grill.:)

There are now many places in Buriram province where you can get half-decent Western food.

There are now many places in Buriram province where you can get half-decent Western food.

Lucky You, Central Plains is a Gastronomic Desert. Lotus Uttaradit don't even carry Real Cheese.

The world it is A'changing. However do not expect your Thai supermarkets to carry Farang food. Big C, for example , in the country , is worse than useless. Your farang food suppliers are independent Farang food manufacturers. So, to WandiStar ,I suggest you contact Farang food makers in Chiang Mai , who can freight to you , either by bus or Rail. Buriram ,now has quite a bit of good farang food, see Buriram Forum ,for more details. Very good Bacon ,sausages, pies,beef,chicken and pork (Melton Mowbray style) ,crumbles,cheese -cheddar ,Lancashire, red leicester. etc. are now freely available. Plus a range of restaurants ,making farang food.There has been a big change in the past few years. Even some Thai restaurants , now make and sell farang food. In our locality. Happy Eating. I even sell imported Indian precooked curries, How about that?

The world it is A'changing. However do not expect your Thai supermarkets to carry Farang food. Big C, for example , in the country , is worse than useless. Your farang food suppliers are independent Farang food manufacturers. So, to WandiStar ,I suggest you contact Farang food makers in Chiang Mai , who can freight to you , either by bus or Rail. Buriram ,now has quite a bit of good farang food, see Buriram Forum ,for more details. Very good Bacon ,sausages, pies,beef,chicken and pork (Melton Mowbray style) ,crumbles,cheese -cheddar ,Lancashire, red leicester. etc. are now freely available. Plus a range of restaurants ,making farang food.There has been a big change in the past few years. Even some Thai restaurants , now make and sell farang food. In our locality. Happy Eating. I even sell imported Indian precooked curries, How about that?

Thats most informative, i will forward to my Foodie Friends.Personally im Hi Millage, Ubon Ratt / C.M. and down to Supanbury every week.,exept at the moment, a rather large Dog removed Rads and Intercooler., hence too many Posts.!!.C.M. is superb service quite right. Buriram, well i supose its safe thesedays.:D