Abhisit Calls On Thaksin To Stop Intimidation Efforts

webfact

begin removed ...

The huge margin 233:165 that the Dems lost the last election by mean it is ridiculous that they have been leading the current coalition and it is certainly the reason that the country has huge social divisions.

The results of by-elections over the last six months and the average poll prediction with PTP only slightly larger than the Dem's is interesting. Maybe more because of negative aspects of PTP and UDD than direct result of Dem's led coalition's success. One thing is certain the 'huge social division' is NOT caused by the Dem's, but existed for generations in Thailand. It's slowly, oh so slowly being addressed. Red-shirts used by UDD leaders to get their own elite back in power hasn't really helped their cause either. Peace, education, investment is needed, no hand-outs, vague promises of 'all rich in six months' :ermm:

well it seems that the "the averege poll prediction with the PTP only slightly larger than the Dem's" is not so slighttly as the Thai media says, yesterday Channell News Asia report that

Look forward to your posting the news article and accompanying link.

i can not meke up a link from a report that the Channel News Asia broadcasted yesterday,sorry :(

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick of hearing this argument given by the Thaksin bashers regarding coalition governments. YES WE CERTAINLY DO UNDERSTAND THE RULES OF THE THAI PARLIAMENTARY SYSTEM. We do also know that coalition governments around the world are lead by the parties that received the most votes in the election. In Britain, Australia, Canada, NZ, ..... the party with the most votes lead the opposition. That is because the other parties realise that they are the most popular and by excluding them from governing is against the will OF THE LARGEST GROUP IN THE ELECTORATE.[/size][/color]

No, it is quite clear that you do not understand, or are just deliberately repeating this hoping it will stick. Many, many times all over the world the party that gets the most votes does not form the government. It doesn't mean anything unless you get the majority

If you are so knowing, please explain why it is that across the world the leading parties of coalitions are the parties that won the most seats in the general election.

Please explain why the Conservatives (UK), Labour (Aus), Conservatives (Canada), National (NZ), CDU (Germany)...are all leading their countries respective coalitions or minority governments and that they are also they parties that got the highest number of seats in the election. Is there a respectable, functioning democracy in the world that doesn't allow the party with the biggest following to form a government?

I am sick of hearing this argument given by the Thaksin bashers regarding coalition governments. YES WE CERTAINLY DO UNDERSTAND THE RULES OF THE THAI PARLIAMENTARY SYSTEM. We do also know that coalition governments around the world are lead by the parties that received the most votes in the election. In Britain, Australia, Canada, NZ, ..... the party with the most votes lead the opposition. That is because the other parties realise that they are the most popular and by excluding them from governing is against the will OF THE LARGEST GROUP IN THE ELECTORATE.[/size][/color]

No, it is quite clear that you do not understand, or are just deliberately repeating this hoping it will stick. Many, many times all over the world the party that gets the most votes does not form the government. It doesn't mean anything unless you get the majority

If you are so knowing, please explain why it is that across the world the leading parties of coalitions are the parties that won the most seats in the general election.

Please explain why the Conservatives (UK), Labour (Aus), Conservatives (Canada), National (NZ), CDU (Germany)...are all leading their countries respective coalitions or minority governments and that they are also they parties that got the highest number of seats in the election. Is there a respectable, functioning democracy in the world that doesn't allow the party with the biggest following to form a government?

Actually, the UK wasn't necessarily done and dusted as simply as that. The rule I believe in the UK, If not mistaken is that the party with the largest number of seats has an opportunity to form the government - be it Coalition or a minority government (if parties can't agree) - however if they are unable to do so in a certain time span, then other parties have the opportunity to form a coalition. There is nothing undemocratic about Coalitions formed such as the one here in Thailand (it could have happened in all the countries you mentioned), although I'll admit I'm nor enamored by them, be it here in Thailand or back in my old homeland UK.

This is Thailand- how do you think Thaksin could buy up all the NAP MPs wholesale(80 seats)?

How could PM Thaksin get away with the murder of 2,500 people in the so called drugs war?

How could a man who hid millions of bahts worth of shares in his servants' names and brazenly say in court it was a 'honest mistake'get away with it 8-7, and remain PM?

Democracy in Thailand is just beginning, it took the West hundreds of years to develop their systems. We here, are just starting and unfortunately money still rules.

If I were Abhisit I will keep my mouth shut . Just look a few years back, during the last election.

The democrats, with the help of their friends from the PAD, prevented Somsak then Somchai to assume their mandate then arm twisted the small party of the coalition to switch side under the pretext that the PAD will prevent any government to function unless it's lead by the democrats. Thaksin is just using the same tactic the democrats used during the last election.

Abhisit owes his job to the thugs of the PAD, who is he to criticize Thaksin ? His comment today shows this guy has absolutely no shame !

Jurgen, who is the "Somsak" you refer to, in your post quoted abpve ?

<snip for brevity>

The huge margin 233:165 that the Dems lost the last election by mean it is ridiculous that they have been leading the current coalition and it is certainly the reason that the country has huge social divisions.[/size][/color]

I note that you're quoting the number of MPs, rather than the shares of the vote, at the last election, but let that pass for now ...

Would you agree that, on the numbers you quote, the defection in December-2008 of some 40 former-PPP MPs to the current coalition-government, would now make that "huge margin" a rather-less-impressive 193 : 165, even before one allows for other individual MPs expelled from PTP for disloyalty ?

This is not to belittle the likely-result of the Red-Shirt/PTP party, in the forthcoming election, IMO they will probably be the largest single party, but not an absolute majority and, if the Democrats (as second-largest party) can put-together a governing-coalition again, then they are entitled to form the new government.

I don't see any amount of intimidation changing this significantly, whether threatening unbiased provincial-governors or defacing election-posters or grenading the PAD or local spats between feuding rival candidates, so perhaps there might be more progress in helping continue to improve conditions for the poor, by the UDD-leaders negotiating or proposing specific improvements to the new government.

Jaw-jaw is sometimes more productive than war-war, in overcoming these social-divisions, wouldn't you agree ? It also costs fewer lives. B)

Look forward to your posting the news article and accompanying link.

i can not meke up a link from a report that the Channel News Asia broadcasted yesterday,sorry :(

Here's a helpful headstart for you...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/

can you specify???

hahaha... no, that was your task. I was just trying to be helpful and get you pointed in the right direction.

But nevermind. Don't bother unless you want to.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has urged former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra not to threaten to mobilize supporters if the Pheu Thai Party wins the election but fails to form the next government.

He might as well have said its OK if you win the election but we cheat our way back in again. I fail to see how anyone can still support this man. Roll on July and good riddance to him.

There is no way anyone with morals can support Thaksin. He is a truly evil man with no concern for anyone other than himself. How someone can support a cretin that thinks getting 30% - 40% of the votes will allow him to overrule a coalition with better than 50% of the votes is beyond me.

The sooner Thaksin is defeated and permanently removed from the scene the better off we will all be.

Wow, you may be right, after all that evil man was responsible for the Health Programme, how evil is that, the current Education Programme, wicked man and brought more in to Thailand in foreign investment than any other current day prime minister. Yes he was found guilty of changing a law that suited him but a lot of people benefited from that change of law.

Thaksin was out of the country and although Democratically elected, the army moved in and handec the job over to a fellow farang. That doesnt make sense. If you, the amazing people of the Kingdom of Thailand wanted him out then its the voting system you use not the army. Thats not democracy it's autocratic. The world is laughing at Thailand, the great Kingdom of Thailand and it's ancestors deserve better. People died for the right to elect the government, let the voting be fair and the party that receives more than any other individual party should be allowed to form the next government.

Good luck to the only truly elected leader of your country, who ever it may be. Let us hope though its the peoples choice, Yingluck Shinawatra.

Respectfully

HenryCHunter

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has urged former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra not to threaten to mobilize supporters if the Pheu Thai Party wins the election but fails to form the next government.

He might as well have said its OK if you win the election but we cheat our way back in again. I fail to see how anyone can still support this man. Roll on July and good riddance to him.

agreed

WHY?

There is no way anyone with morals can support Thaksin. He is a truly evil man with no concern for anyone other than himself. How someone can support a cretin that thinks getting 30% - 40% of the votes will allow him to overrule a coalition with better than 50% of the votes is beyond me.

The sooner Thaksin is defeated and permanently removed from the scene the better off we will all be.

Wow, you may be right, after all that evil man was responsible for the Health Programme, how evil is that, the current Education Programme, wicked man and brought more in to Thailand in foreign investment than any other current day prime minister. Yes he was found guilty of changing a law that suited him but a lot of people benefited from that change of law.

Thaksin was out of the country and although Democratically elected, the army moved in and handec the job over to a fellow farang. That doesnt make sense. If you, the amazing people of the Kingdom of Thailand wanted him out then its the voting system you use not the army. Thats not democracy it's autocratic. The world is laughing at Thailand, the great Kingdom of Thailand and it's ancestors deserve better. People died for the right to elect the government, let the voting be fair and the party that receives more than any other individual party should be allowed to form the next government.

Good luck to the only truly elected leader of your country, who ever it may be. Let us hope though its the peoples choice, Yingluck Shinawatra.

Respectfully

HenryCHunter

Henry,the army handed the job over to Mr Samak, the leader of PPP( Thaksin's party), who Thaksin then refused to re-elect, and Thaksin then passed the job of PM to his brother-in-law Mr Somchai.

The wicked man did start the Health and Education programmes which to this day are not really free, but they were a start. Unfortunately the wicked man proceeded to ban all TV and radio programmes that criticized his autocratic rule, tried to bribe judges with lunch boxes containing 2 million baht and told all constituents that didn't vote for him, they would have to wait for any budget at the end of a queue.

Divide and rule was, and still is, his game. That is not the way of a leader of a country.

In effect, and indeed he showed journalists his plan, he tried to run Thailand like his companies- targets to reach, ie number of arrests in the drugs war, drunk drivers at Songkran, etc, failure to meet the targets meant transfers or dismissal- so provincial governors were under pressure to meet the targets, whether the suspects were guilty or not. I remember the governors of the Central Region complaining that there were more drunk drivers in their provinces because the drivers had started drinking in Bangkok, but beacause they weren't drunk till they reached their provinces, they were then blamed for the figures of drunk drivers!

Respectfully

HenryCHunter

It would appear that Thaksin apologists have a very very weak weak spot. Which is? They know in advance that it is unlikely that they can put together a parliamentary majority (50% + 1 of the MPs) so what to do. So what to do? Well that is simple. Lie and lie again. The lie this time is that the biggest party (votes/MPs) should form the next government. All rubbish of course and you can see the repetitiveness of the line being peddled from the wannabe clones. The threat is yet another attempt to bring out the street thugs and their wish list is that the army give them a clear run at intimidation.

begin removed ...

Yes he was found guilty of changing a law that suited him but a lot of people benefited from that change of law.

... end removed

K. Thaksin had a law changed which effected ownership of telecom companies. The same day the law came into effect (23rd of January 2006) the sale of the Shinawatra family's share of Shin Corporation to Temasek Holding was announced. Sure lots of people benefited, the Shinawatra clan, in-laws, a few big businesses. Mostly be not paying taxes :blink:

Read a bit on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra_$1.88_billion_deal_controversy

That Thaksin has been fomenting insurrection and is charged with terrorism, that under his administration he led the call for the "war on drugs" that killed so many innocents etc ... and is still getting friendly posts by some westerners is mind-boggling to me.

In that case, i'd advise to keep your sources of information local for now. easier to digest.

Most international observers, analysts and academics have a much less... naive and hysterical view and a much more, let us say, balanced and realistic view of the thai political reality.

If it is mind boggling, then maybe you need a rethink :-)

realistic view, that is a bold statement from a man who writes such ill informed rubbish

It would appear that Thaksin apologists have a very very weak weak spot. Which is? They know in advance that it is unlikely that they can put together a parliamentary majority (50% + 1 of the MPs) so what to do. So what to do? Well that is simple. Lie and lie again. The lie this time is that the biggest party (votes/MPs) should form the next government. All rubbish of course and you can see the repetitiveness of the line being peddled from the wannabe clones. The threat is yet another attempt to bring out the street thugs and their wish list is that the army give them a clear run at intimidation.

If that is the case could you please let the Thaksin apologists know;

Which other democracy in the world has a coalition that is lead by the party that got the 2nd most seats in the previous election by a substantial margin?

Thanks in advance.

Which other democracy in the world has a coalition that is lead by the party that got the 2nd most seats in the previous election by a substantial margin?

Thanks in advance.

You mean after the party with 1st most seats had a coalition and two PM's and after six/seven months being in government got legally disbanded for vote-buying, clearly documented in (undoctored) video clips? Not too many countries like that I'm afraid. Most democracies tend to be really stuffy ;)

Thanks in advance.

You mean after the party with 1st most seats had a coalition and two PM's and after six/seven months being in government got legally disbanded for vote-buying, clearly documented in (undoctored) video clips? Not too many countries like that I'm afraid. Most democracies tend to be really stuffy ;)

...and the party with the 2nd most seats were guilty of electoral fraud and were let off by a friendly judiciary on a ridiculous technicality...

Thanks in advance.

...and the party with the 2nd most seats were guilty of electoral fraud and were let off by a friendly judiciary on a ridiculous technicality...

The two cases you refer to had little chance of succeeding, even opponents agreed on that. Cases are first judged on technicalities, before really proceeding. These two didn't. A case of THB 250m donation based on hearsay, a case of 'too small posters' and the Dem's having the ridiculous idea to ask for tax receipts. No, I'm not providing links this time, too many of these probing questions.

BTW did you read that Ms. Thida said the UDD would next week set up a distance-learning school to inform people about election fraud techniques and how to prevent them, via its television channel Asia Update. Funny that they seem to know all about election fraud techniques ;)

[if that is the case could you please let the Thaksin apologists know;

Thanks in advance.

The present government of Sweden is led by the party that came second.

Thanks in advance.

Sweden is led by the second largest party as is the Czech Republic and Slovakia, in Belgium the first place party has been unable to form a government for over a year now leaving the 3rd place party in a caretaker government and it is still unknown what will happen. That's just a few in the past couple years. That's what happens when you can't get 50%, it goes to whoever can. It is usually the party with the most seats because it is usually EASIER, not because they have any RIGHT to it.

You really think that if party A gets 34 seats and parties B&C get 33 each, that party A has some sort of intrinsic right to rule? Especially if B&C are ideologically aligned and they outnumber A 66 to 34? That's absurd. And isn't how things work even if you think it should. In every country when no one gets 50% there is a struggle by all to try to gather enough for a government.

Edited by DP25

Parties Votes

Social Dems 30.66%

Moderate party 30.06%

PPP 48.5%

Dems 34.3%

Please reread my post. You are making yourself look stupid.

It would be easier if you had indicated here what these figures relate to. With a total of about 143% it can't be an election result, that much at least is clear :)

Parties Votes

Social Dems 30.66%

Moderate party 30.06%

PPP 48.5%

Dems 34.3%

Then look at the previous election in Sweden, Social Dems 35% Moderate Party 26%, Moderate Party gets Prime Minister because they had an alliance with other parties. And those percentages for Thailand aren't close to accurate now, as 2009 by elections it's PTP 189 vs Democrats 172 seats.

Parties Votes

Social Dems 30.66%

Moderate party 30.06%

PPP 48.5%

Dems 34.3%

You laid down the gauntlet and you lost.

Thai political pundits agree that if the Democrats lose by a wide margin to Pheua Thai, they will have to accept defeat, but if the margin is narrow, ie within 30 or 40 seats of each other, then it's all up to the bargaining, which is why Banharn and Phumjai Thai think they are so important at the moment.

All this present conjecture is tiresome nonsense really, as nothing matters till after July 3, which is still over 4 long weeks away.

Actually you are wrong 100%. This is a view borne out of blinkered prejudice. How can you support the Thaksin side - Thaksin was a murderer and thief? (the drug killings and the corruption) He has been blacklisted by democracies such as the UK and the USA which is why he sought refuge in tinpot dictatorships like Montenegro. Thaksin was described by Human Rights Watch as a one of the worst kind of dictators.

On the other hand Abihsit has shown great courage in the face of continual intimidation by a neo-nazi movement and even by some of his own supporters who were unhappy about his moves against corruption and towards a western-styled democracy. As I drove around the country last week I saw many defaced Abhisit posters but not one defaced Pheu Thai poster. That speaks a lot.

Mark my words and mark them carefully. If the red neo-nazis take control of Thailand after the next election under the leadership of the clone of Thaksin or Thaksin himself it will be a sad day for Thailand with no chance of democracy for many years to come. I fear for Thailand and the poor disinherited and manipulated masses that make up the majority of the population of whom many are duped by Thaksin's manipulative charms.

And if you want to question the 'neo nazi' tag I suggest you study Wilhelm Reich's Mass Psychology of Fascism before so doing.

I read this several times as I could not believe what i was reading. Any of us can take very very short phrases from a 400 page document and say exactly what we want it to say. Thakisn Shinawatra was never convicted of the offences or Murder nor has he been convicted of thievery. In fact his trial was not fair, that is documented by several leaders of the world but once a conviction was registered the countries you mention had no choice but to exclude him from entering or staying in the country.

I am ashamed of Britain and of it's leaders for allowing this persecution to be carried out. This now third world dicatorship we live in is a worse place for not having Thaksin at the healm to steer it's way through the political mire that is now prevelant throughout the world.

Abhisit has been brave, easy to do when the armed forces not the electorate gave you a job you failed to obtain on many occassions before because you failed to get a majority. Instead the great people of the Kingdom of Thailand voted for the person who gave them health, schools and affordable housing in many areas of the country.

I guess we will just have to read this twaddle from people who don't understand the meaning of democracy and as for neo nazis, When Riech first wrote about The Mass Psychology of Fascism in 1930-33 he was talking about something that begat nazism, perhaps you should study it yourself as it clearly has nothing to do with the events of Thailands corrupt political society when governments can be made and supported with a gun.

Good luck whatever the decision as long as the party with the most votes forms the next government.

God Bless the King and the people of this great Kingdom of Thailand

Parties Votes

Social Dems 30.66%

Moderate party 30.06%

PPP 48.5%

Dems 34.3%

You laid down the gauntlet and you lost.

Thai political pundits agree that if the Democrats lose by a wide margin to Pheua Thai, they will have to accept defeat, but if the margin is narrow, ie within 30 or 40 seats of each other, then it's all up to the bargaining, which is why Banharn and Phumjai Thai think they are so important at the moment.

All this present conjecture is tiresome nonsense really, as nothing matters till after July 3, which is still over 4 long weeks away.

So true, four long weeks but so important as this month will form the blueprint of the next generation of Thai politics

Respectfully

HenryCHunter

In fact his trial was not fair, that is documented by several leaders of the world

Dear Henry, sorry for cutting your post, but I'd like to ask a question on this sentence only. Although you may argue that k. Thaksin's trial was politically motivated, I do not recollect leaders of the world have spoken out on or even 'documented' an unfair trial. May I ask you to provide a few more details here ?

Thanks in advance,

rubl