Idea For A Business In Surin

jaideeguy

I kidnapped [rescued?] my Thai wife and her 2 kids from Surin 10 yrs ago and we have been living in Chiang Mai and altho CM has been good to us, it is now time to move and I would like to set the wife up in a business that could lessen some of the $ burden on me and alow me to travel a bit and leave her close to her family.

I asked her to tell me what kind of businesses that she thought may work there.....Anything but another noodle shop.

She actually surprised me with what may be a good idea, if it's not done already.

To transport CM's beautiful fresh vegetables to supply the restaurants and resorts in the area, as well as local expats. We do have good connections in the farming business and i could easily construct an air conditioned cool shop so the lettuce and other perishables wouldn't wilt. Could also offer other falang goodies....unless someone else is already doing that?? I know that there are the [not so] superstores that have a handfull of falang items, but we could offer more selection and hopefully better prices. I also have a good beef connection that actually ages their beef and altho local/Thai....it is good quality and priced under imported.

Do you Isaan expats and resort/restaurant owners think this idea would fly or flop?? Could deliver to burri ram and si saket.

or any other doable business ideas that are not another noodle shop??

Or, maybe someone there would like to exchange a business....resort or restaurant for a small estate in CM with 3 houses and swimming pool on 3/4th of a rai in a quiet park like location, yet 25 minutes from the airport. If so, PM me and we can exchange details/fotos.

thanks in advance.....

Agree that there are way too many massage shops, tuktuks, noodle shops, spas, vendors and retail outlets and I'm encouraging her to think 'outside the box'. It's a fact everywhere that the middlemen are the ones that make the most money....not the farmer or the retailer. I told her that I would back this project if she took a corespondence course or short course on [money] management, as she comes from many generations of poor money managers.....don't they all?

After 10 years of living in Thailand you should know that just supporting her and her 2 kids and all the extended family will be cheaper than a thai ruin.. er, running a business with Falang money absolving the thai from any version of reality.

If you're not going to be there to make every decision or you do not have the funds to open a self running 7/11 type franchise then pleeeeease refer to my first sentence.

Good luck to ya

Not quite sure which restaurants and resorts you think you can sell vegetables too. It's not like the local market isn't fully stocked with fresh veg at a price cheaper than you would need to charge it you are hauling it and keeping it refrigerated.

Perhaps you mean sell it to those 5 star restaurants and boutique resorts? Oh wait... This is Surin there aren't any.

Not wishing to rain on your parade, but I just don't see a market.

Send her on a masseur course. Get he certificated and set up shop. Someone always wants a massage after working the fields.

I wouldn't totally dismiss the massage idea. It' seems to be increasingly popular in Ubon. :unsure:

Wife of a friend is a hairdresser, finished a 3 months massage course, got a license and had no problem getting a job at a decent massage place. She is at the same time attending courses to be educated in herbal spa massage, and I think the thought of having a future hair/beauty/herbal spa/massage place, have crossed their minds........... :D

I wouldn't totally dismiss the massage idea. It' seems to be increasingly popular in Ubon. :unsure:

Wife of a friend is a hairdresser, finished a 3 months massage course, got a license and had no problem getting a job at a decent massage place. She is at the same time attending courses to be educated in herbal spa massage, and I think the thought of having a future hair/beauty/herbal spa/massage place, have crossed their minds........... :D

I have to agree with this, the options for (good) massage in Surin are actually quite limited. There are a couple of fairly decent places but even they can be hit and miss depending on which girl actually massages you.

Edited by CallumW

So, a few of you are suggesting a massage business.....what flavor?? Traditional [straight], soapy, or 'happy ending'?? Lotsa variations here in CM. And what would the market bare for a traditional massage?? there are so many here in CM that the going rate is 200+thb/per hr. would Surin expats pay that?? I'm sure locals wouldn't.

As I remember there is a 'fishbowl' type of operation down in the entertainment area and those are big baht toset up.

Re: businesses in LOS.....yes, I agree that anything but the most simple food operations will require constant supervision by me. TW just doesn't know how to manage money..

I have learned thru experience that there is small baht in any restaurant venture, as we had a restaurant that I paid for and subsidised for 6 months before I realized that there is cheap food everywhere.

Maybe a franchise somewhere???? the CP roasted chicken stands up here in CM seem to be doing good business. Do they have them in Surin??

My ultimate goal is to set the wife up so that she is not so much of a drain on my declining dollar and in a place near her family so that I can travel without worrying about her support and safety.

So, a few of you are suggesting a massage business.....what flavor?? Traditional [straight], soapy, or 'happy ending'?? Lotsa variations here in CM. And what would the market bare for a traditional massage?? there are so many here in CM that the going rate is 200+thb/per hr. would Surin expats pay that?? I'm sure locals wouldn't. I'm sure the farangs wouldn't either. There are tons of them all over Surin

As I remember there is a 'fishbowl' type of operation down in the entertainment area and those are big baht toset up. There are already 2 Big ones in Surin (Rose Queen and M&M)

Re: businesses in LOS.....yes, I agree that anything but the most simple food operations will require constant supervision by me. TW just doesn't know how to manage money..

I have learned thru experience that there is small baht in any restaurant venture, as we had a restaurant that I paid for and subsidised for 6 months before I realized that there is cheap food everywhere.

Maybe a franchise somewhere???? the CP roasted chicken stands up here in CM seem to be doing good business. Do they have them in Surin?? Many inc Amway!!!!

My ultimate goal is to set the wife up so that she is not so much of a drain on my declining dollar and in a place near her family so that I can travel without worrying about her support and safety.I tried that too. You must remember Surin is a very poor area so people inc Farangs have a lot less than maybe CM

Edited by micky6