Handouts Have Made Thais Weak And Dependent

webfact

Spending on rural roads and infrastructure is damaging to the nation.

Swampy, Airport Link, BTS extentions - not so much.

jaltsc: only need one more than the other guy.

As one of those who DO NOT live in Bangkok, I can tell you that the lack of spending on rural roads IS damaging the nation. Thailand is not just Bangkok.

I would have thought that goes without saying.

I live in BKK, but it's obvious that Thailand needs infrustructure upgrades in rural areas... I am quite surprised anyone would think differently.

Thailand needs some serious decentralisation.

Spending on rural roads and infrastructure is damaging to the nation.

Swampy, Airport Link, BTS extentions - not so much.

jaltsc: only need one more than the other guy.

As one of those who DO NOT live in Bangkok, I can tell you that the lack of spending on rural roads IS damaging the nation. Thailand is not just Bangkok.

and Thailand is not just Issan although the rreds think it is........

The writer of that article has obviously never worked in a rice paddy. I wonder if he has ever even seen how hard the average Thai has to work to survive.

Thailand already has low unemployment, now the challenge is going to be to pay people enough for their hard work so that they can live and have a brighter future. Anyone who thinks That Thai's are lazy are either blind or spending too much time in the bear bars. Everywhere I go I see Thai's working hard to be competent at their jobs and trying to get ahead. One of my wife's high school friends has a four year degree and 3 years experience working in Japan in a Auto factory. He speaks and writes Japanese perfectly and recently got a job with the relatively high pay of 20,000 baht/mo.

Every country lives or dies on it's middle class and Thailand has a long way to go.

Infrastructure projects make more sense because they improve the country as a whole. Building alternatives to cars and highways provides people a way to get to where their going without clogging the roads.

From where I'm sitting in the UK these so called handouts are extremely parsimonious and compared to UK benefits Dependants Thais are far from weak and Dependant.

Exactly, Try getting a grip on the "handouts" at the top. Helping your neighbor today and being helped by him tomorrow is not handouts, it's community.

Abhisits promise is the welfare state

"5 reductions and 5 increases" = 10 points (in words ten) the number on the ballot paper for the Dem's.

Five Reductions

1. reduce education costs for the 15 years of 'free' schooling
  2. reduce cost of university study via soft loans
  3. reduce restrictions on free universal healthcare
  4. reduce living costs for people by providing free water, power, bus and train services
  5. reduce the cost of fertiliser for farmers

Five Increases

1. increase profits for farmers by 25 per cent
  2. increase minimum wages by 25 per cent in two years
  3. increase allowances for elderly people
  4. increase the fight against drug trafficking
  5. increase efforts to uphold the rule of law without granting an amnesty to wrongdoers

Abhisits promise is the welfare state

"5 reductions and 5 increases" = 10 points (in words ten) the number on the ballot paper for the Dem's.

Five Reductions

1. reduce education costs for the 15 years of 'free' schooling
  2. reduce cost of university study via soft loans
  3. reduce restrictions on free universal healthcare
  4. reduce living costs for people by providing free water, power, bus and train services
  5. reduce the cost of fertiliser for farmers

Five Increases

1. increase profits for farmers by 25 per cent
  2. increase minimum wages by 25 per cent in two years
  3. increase allowances for elderly people
  4. increase the fight against drug trafficking
  5. increase efforts to uphold the rule of law without granting an amnesty to wrongdoers

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4442652

Certainly looks better than "credit cards for farmers and taxi drivers" and "free tablet computers for every kid".