Roaming Internet In Cm - Prepaid?

mamborobert

Seeking some Chiang Mai specific iternet assistance if I may.

I have a former work colleague who will be visiting Chinag Mai next week for some 4 months. Whilst here he will need internet access probably with a lot of downloads to keep on with his job in the US (not working but he is the final vetter of some constrcution project revisions). As I can respond to emails he as assumed that I have picked up significant skills in IT since I came to CM. He is delusatory. Children bought me a Samsung Android tablet and with that I can rule my small and insignificant world.

Anyhow...he will need wireless internet that he can use in various places but probably mostly near the old boxing stadium/kawilla barracks area. I have tried using a phone as a hotspot near there and it is good enough for me but not for him.

Any ideas what would be the best prepaid wireless (good speed/good download limit) in that area or CM in general. He will be staying with me in Nong Hoi but I do not have broadband or adsl or whatever...just me the tablet and a sim, and he likes to roam. Ideally prepaid rather than subscription.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated......

The problem I see is that inasmuch as he will be working on construction project revisions, you are looking at AutoCad drawings (Most likely) which tend to be quite large. Even drawings in PDF format tend to be large....

The problem I always have is losing the dam_n signal and having the download start again. Nothing more frustrating then getting 15mb downloaded and having the signal drop.

If your friend can get his drawings/data uploaded to an FTP site, then he can use a download manager which even if the signal drops it will continue the download.

For the connection, DTAC and AIS are both relativly reliable,just purchase a DONGLE and off he goes.

I have True on my IPhone and AIS on a tablet - Both have 3G and work well for me (I live inside the moat)

You can get prepaid plans that also include time for their wifi hotspots - so if you have a large upload/download you cold head to coffee shop for those things

Trying both won't cost you much just buy a sim for 49-99 baht and add 100 baht and select a prepaid plan

Also look at Dropdox as a great cloud/collaboration tool to upload & download file in the background - Check it out here: Dropbox

Edited by sfokevin

I didn't think Thailand had a 3G network yet?

Sadly no operator is operating 3G nationwide but every single operator is operating 3G of some sort in certain locations.

AIS: 3G in Chiang Mai, Hua-Hin, Chonburi and Korat (and Siam Paragon and Central World)

DTAC: 3G in central Bangkok (Sathorn-Silom)

True: 3G in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Chonburi, and Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

TOT: 3G in Bangkok.

I didn't think Thailand had a 3G network yet?

Sadly no operator is operating 3G nationwide but every single operator is operating 3G of some sort in certain locations.

AIS: 3G in Chiang Mai, Hua-Hin, Chonburi and Korat (and Siam Paragon and Central World)

DTAC: 3G in central Bangkok (Sathorn-Silom)

True: 3G in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Chonburi, and Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

TOT: 3G in Bangkok.

Many thanks for this advice in particular.

Went to AIS, got the 7.2 3g dongle (pack came with a sim) and it works a treat ...a real plug and play in a few minutes, with one click activation and one month credit.

Tried it in a few locations around Kawila and great speeds...a really good tip for a 3G service in CM