Building Permits

I just wondered if it was normal practice for companys in thailand to sell projects off plan before they have the required building permits? what happens to the clients money if the company dosnt get the permit?

It depends on, a single house doesn't need building permit until the roof construction starts. And in many rural areas there is no need at all for a building permit. Also there are not many places i Thailand that have zone planning although some islands have it.

A developer needs, this is in addition to the building permit, a development license and a land development license. Check these licenses first.

Edited by stgrhe

It depends on, a single house doesn't need building permit until the roof construction starts. And in many rural areas there is no need at all for a building permit. Also there are not many places i Thailand that have zone planning although some islands have it.

A developer needs, this is in addition to the building permit, a development license and a land development license. Check these licenses first.

thank you for your reply i am thinking about a 250 unit preconstruction develpment in phuket that im told is 50 %sold off plan, I have been informed that the project dosnt have all building permits just an enviromental permit

whatever that is.

thank you for your reply i am thinking about a 250 unit preconstruction develpment in phuket that im told is 50 %sold off plan, I have been informed that the project dosnt have all building permits just an enviromental permit

whatever that is.

If all they have is the EIS-permit (Environmental Impact Study) then you could have a problem. Thee must be a Development License AND Building Permit prior to the commencement of construction.

Simpel solution to your doubts: Get your lawyer to perform a 'Due Diligence' exercise before you sign or pay anything.

Edited by jaapfries

I just wondered if it was normal practice for companys in thailand to sell projects off plan before they have the required building permits? what happens to the clients money if the company dosnt get the permit?

Of course it's normal practice, how else is the developer going to be able to afford his Bentley and Ferrari?