Windows Xp First Time User

Mumbo Jumbo

I am purchasing a new computer with Windows XP loaded, ( ive been using W98 ) as I am new to WXP is there any recommendations for things I should do to improve the security , ive been told that WXP comes with its own fire wall , but is switched off when you first get it and you have to do some thing to switch it on...? any advice regarding " switching on the new machine and connecting to the internet for the first time " would be appreciated, ive also heard that a computer can be infected with a virus within 2 seconds of first connecting to the internet..?any recommendations on tweeks / security adjustments to the ready installed WXP programmes would also be welcome

...Thanks .... Mumbo

General consensus seems to be that the built-in firewall is not 100% adequate and most prefer to install something extra like Zone Alarm (free version) - but there are others. Do a search on the forum to compare.

It's a while since I installed XP (Pro), but my memory is that the firewall is turned on by default.

You'd have to be really unlucky to get infected with a virus that quickly - but possible in theory. Use good anti-virus software (e.g. free like AVG, Avast etc - many have other favourites and you can check the forum to take your pick). You might like to boot up your machine and let everything fire up before opening your connection to the internet (dial-up/adsl modem or wireless) if you're really worried.

Check that your version of XP includes SP2 (service pack 2). Keep it updated with patches from Microsoft.

Run a virus and spyware scan at least once a week.

Thanks ..Steve2UK, I have been running Windows 98 for a long time, and managed to tweek the security parts of the programme, so now I am going to run WXP, its going to be a change !!, so thanks for the information,

Thanks..... Mumbo

I would make sure it's a licenced edition and not a copy...and you should have the CDs for it.

So many Thai dealers stick copies in their PCs and something like WXP does not copy well....one glitch and the whole thing starts to crumble, and you won't have a CD to turn to to re-install.

It is often suggested that you have a non administrative account and do all your internet stuff on that one and not on your administrative account because the administrative account has the ability to change alot of sensitive stuff on the computer and access to this is blocked to anything happening in the non administrative accounts....sorry I can't speak more clearly on this topic but its 'cause I'm not very knowledgeable so its best if you ask around about this to be sure that its right...but it makes sense to me anyway.

It is often suggested that you have a non administrative account and do all your internet stuff on that one and not on your administrative account because the administrative account has the ability to change alot of sensitive stuff on the computer and access to this is blocked to anything happening in the non administrative accounts....sorry I can't speak more clearly on this topic but its 'cause I'm not very knowledgeable so its best if you ask around about this to be sure that its right...but it makes sense to me anyway.

hi'

sure it makes a lot of sens, the admin has root privilege as on Unix, so make a non-admin account is just logical as most virus try to break in the root door ...

just don't forget to copy all shorcut of program you use from the admin doc and settings/start menu/programs to the all users (same folder:all users/doc and settings ..etc

just avoid to move the maintenance progs that you may use.

francois