5 Year Driver License

Just looking for the latest information on when you should apply for the 5 year Thai Driver License. I have the 1 year license that is due to expire on July 13. To renew and get the 5 year license, do I have to wait until after it expires? That seems to be the information I see on other posts, but a lot of them are several years old. Is there more current information or is this still the rule?

For all that'll be said here, just go in on the 13th and get it done. Should only take a few minutes and it's done. No test just paperwork. Pretty easy actually.

just my experience i went day before mine ran out as expiry date was at weekend and office closed, they said i could renew it but would only get another 1 year one, so i went back on the monday and got 5 years. as i understood it all renewals you have to do the practical exam again. but i have deallt with differnt offices around the country and all seem to have differnt rules. i had to do the test twice within a couple of months as motorbike and car ran out close together.certainly would not get it done in minutes at chon buri,pattaya or samui

Just got my first 5 year license.

The procedure, in Bangkok:

Show 1-year license - expired, not more than year

Show passport with non-immigrant visa, original and copy

Certified resident adress from embassy or work permit, original and copy

Original medical certificate, thai form, not more than 1 month old

I got a queue number, and had the license within 10 mins......

Will probably be getting my first car license on Monday or Tuesday. Let's see if I got this straight. I need passport and my current motorcycle Thai driver's license, my American car and motorbike license. Letter of residence (and copy), Medical certificate (and copy), copy of main passport page and copy of visa inside the passport. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have copies made of the driver's licenses as well and of course I'll need pictures.

Like said what you have to do can be different in other provinces but it's no big deal and nothing to worry about.

Funny thing I notice is everyone talks of 5 year when after 1 year renwal mine was 6 years.

post-87530-0-89253500-1307169361_thumb.j

Will probably be getting my first car license on Monday or Tuesday. Let's see if I got this straight. I need passport and my current motorcycle Thai driver's license, my American car and motorbike license. Letter of residence (and copy), Medical certificate (and copy), copy of main passport page and copy of visa inside the passport. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have copies made of the driver's licenses as well and of course I'll need pictures.

dont need pictures anymore they take picture for you and put it on licence, dont see why you should need thi motorbike drivers licence if your going for car. i would take all originals as well as copies then if on the day they want some thing extra, you can usually get it photo copied around the office. as i said they all seem to have differnt ways of doing it.

Edited by NALAK

Now im confused.My Thai Licence Reads.Issue Date13Jan 2005. Expire.23March 2015.

If that is the dates printed on your license, don't be.

Everyone is posting there experiences and as said before it depends on what province you get your license at and then they may still change year on year.