Inexpensive Guest House / Hotel Near Airport?

Hello...

I will be flying in to the airport Sunday night for a connecting flight and will need to spend the night in Bangkok. However, I will have a large box containing a bicycle with me and so would like to stay close to the airport. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive guest house or cheap hotel nearby?

Thanks for any tips!

You didn't specify your interpretation of "inexpensive". If you're happy with "normal" hotel rates by western standards, ignore what follows.

If you're looking for something under USD $20 I doubt you'll be able to book it ahead of time, and in fact there's no need to do so at all.

Just take a taxi out of the airport, and ask to be taken to a short time hotel ("Rong Ram Chooakrao") . The airport taxi guys are a bit more scammy than others, so DON'T let them persuade you to go to a massage etc - worst case scenario, ask to be let out along any major street-level intersection and take another regular taxi.

The usual rate is B150 - B250 for 2-3 hours, and 24 hours is usually around double that. The big advantage for your situation is that the fixed check-in/out time scam doesn't apply, the clock starts whenever you check in. The disadvantage is that you might not like the decor of the room (mirrors on the ceiling etc) or the seedy atmosphere, but on the other hand you might find it interesting 8-)

Don't let your taxi go until you've completed negotiating, if you don't like one place there's another five minutes away.

If you'd prefer taking local buses - much cheaper - then check your luggage at the storage desk in the airport and you won't have to lug it around, you can always go back to get it once you're settled in.

And of course now that you know you can check your bulk luggage, you're free to take the airport shuttle into Bangkok and have a proper night on the town if you're so inclined!

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Nice hotel

Silver Gold Garden, Suvarnabhumi Airport

Try to Google it.

:thumbsup: I'll second that recommendation. Free airport shuttle round-trip, clean room, friendly staff, Tesco Express mini-mart very near by. I've stayed there about a dozen times. I never got the room with breakfast deal, so can't comment on the food quality/quantity.

Their web site: http://www.silvergoldgarden.com/

But, also check the rates at: http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/silvergold/

Sometimes sawadee.com is cheaper, other times not.

I stayed at the Great Residence last year and it was fine for an overnight. Clean rooms, free airport shuttle, shops and bars about 5 minutes walk away. I have no complaints about the place.

No idea if this is any good or not.

http://www.thecottagebangkokairport.com/contact.html

Stayed there at the beginning of April this year. It is fairly new and was okay for price paid, restaurant was reasonable as well, they had slight problems with their internet access but sorted it quickly. The free transportation to and from swampy worked efficiently. Would stay again.

Regards

I read a review that said their internet was crazy expensive. What did you pay? Also - did you go to the close by shopping mall and if so what is it like and how far to walk?

Ye, I think the internet was quite expensive, something like 50-70 baht for 20-30 minutes but can't remember exactly.

Did not venture outside at all, I arrived quite late at night and had an early morning departure next day, so a quick bite to eat then off to bed.

Sorry can't be of more help, all these Airport hotels are much the same really.

Regards