What Protection Is There When Asked To Pay For A Condo Lease A Month Before Arriving?

Hi All,

Just after advice, if landlord asking for payment now to secure condo lease, though obviously I would like some protection to make sure I'm not getting scammed and I show up and there is no condo etc, so what should they be providing me, anyone can whip up a fake contract I guess, but is there a way to be 100% sure that I am paying for a genuine place? thanks in advance.

Interesting! Before worrying about the small money of deposit, ask yourself this question - "How can a person agree to a lease when he has not even seen the premises?"

Well that's what I am asking here, that part goes without saying I guess, (she has sent me a whole heaps of photos of the place, not that it matters too much)

though the person I contacted, has her details all over thaivisa along various adverts etc, so I take it that it's safe to trust it if she's got her details all over the "rent a condo" section? I'm sure sellers have to be verified here?

Interesting! Before worrying about the small money of deposit, ask yourself this question - "How can a person agree to a lease when he has not even seen the premises?"

Well that's what I am asking here, that part goes without saying I guess, (she has sent me a whole heaps of photos of the place, not that it matters too much)

though the person I contacted, has her details all over thaivisa along various adverts etc, so I take it that it's safe to trust it if she's got her details all over the "rent a condo" section? I'm sure sellers have to be verified here?

Staying in a condo or apartment unit means communal living. Whether your stay in the premises will be heaven or hell depends not only on photos, but also the people you will meet in the surroundings of the project.

Better for you to first come here, stay a few weeks in a guest house, and then decide on renting the appropriate premises for long term living.

Staying in a condo or apartment unit means communal living. Whether your stay in the premises will be heaven or hell depends not only on photos, but also the people you will meet in the surroundings of the project.

Better for you to first come here, stay a few weeks in a guest house, and then decide on renting the appropriate premises for long term living.

Yes you make a valid point there, though the question I was asking was, how do we know we're not being scammed when paying the initial deposit, though I will read that thread you posted, I was thinking of staying in a hotel for a week first, then do some hunting.. cheers for that...

To answer your original question, there are no guarantees. My wife is an agent and she recently had a landlord who received an advance deposit for a room thru an ATM transfer. The owner later decided he didn't want to rent the room out and didn't return the deposit. Since it appeared that he was a vindictive type and had a lot of money(a surgeon), she decided that it wasn't worthwhile to pursue the matter with the police. Since I'm the one who pays for the bills, I ended up returning the money to the prospective tenant. I doubt most agencies would do the same.

Proceed with caution when dealing over the internet. I would only do rental transactions face to face with the owner as well as the agent. Don't leave the table without proper documentation including ID and signatures, receipts and contracts. Best of luck!

No, sellers are not verified in ThaiVisa classifieds or any other classifieds in Thailand, all they need is an email and phonenumber.

Buyer be aware.

If landlord actually owns condo, ask her to provide signed copies of condo title and Tabien Baan. Compare adress in tabien baan with adress in rentalagreement.

If you do not like condo or environment on arrival, your payments are usually non refundable

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

Buyer be aware.

If landlord actually owns condo, ask her to provide signed copies of condo title and Tabien Baan. Compare adress in tabien baan with adress in rentalagreement.

If you do not like condo or environment on arrival, your payments are usually non refundable

Ok thanks, I'm gonna send my reliable contact in bkk to go meet the landlord, and if all is in order etc, to leave deposit face to face, and get something solid in return, or else no deal, cheers for that..

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

To answer your original question, there are no guarantees. My wife is an agent and she recently had a landlord who received an advance deposit for a room thru an ATM transfer. The owner later decided he didn't want to rent the room out and didn't return the deposit. Since it appeared that he was a vindictive type and had a lot of money(a surgeon), she decided that it wasn't worthwhile to pursue the matter with the police. Since I'm the one who pays for the bills, I ended up returning the money to the prospective tenant. I doubt most agencies would do the same.

Proceed with caution when dealing over the internet. I would only do rental transactions face to face with the owner as well as the agent. Don't leave the table without proper documentation including ID and signatures, receipts and contracts. Best of luck!

What an A**hole! and that was really nice of you... nice one...what goes around comes around, is the way I see it, hope he gets what he deserves!

Deposit should be payed as a cashier check, cost 20-30 baht. Ask her to email correct name in english (according to her ID card). Bring a copy of check and she signs on copy she has recieved it. If deal is off, cashier check can be refunded to the person buying it in the bank

Edited by astral

Deposit should be payed as a cashier check, cost 20-30 baht. Ask her to email correct name in english (according to her ID card). Bring a copy of check and she signs on copy she has recieved it. If deal is off, cashier check can be refunded to the person buying it in the bank

but is the first month's rent supposed to be the deposit? so that means in a 3 month contract, I would only need to pay the remaining 2 months as rent? cheers

Sorry but I don't agree that the above statement is correct. A cashier's check is basically the same thing as cash. It guarantees that the receiver will get their money. It does not guarantee that the sender will get their money back.

In general, any advance deposit is made with the understanding that once payment is made, it is not refundable unless the room is not available. The advance deposit is a guarantee that the landlord will save the specific dates for the renter. The landlord holds the room for the renter and in turn is guaranteed of payment for the specific period. An advance deposit is used to pay for the room whether the renter shows or does not show.

Very few landlords will refund your money if you show up and decide you don't like the room unless there is some type of special guarantee of satisfaction. To simplify things, just remember that a rental is very similar to a hotel room. Once you pay for it, very few hotels will refund your money if you don't like the room. A good hotel will try to adjust the accomodations, however, very few will refund your money (unless there are heavy penalties).

Sorry but I don't agree that the above statement is correct. A cashier's check is basically the same thing as cash. It guarantees that the receiver will get their money. It does not guarantee that the sender will get their money back.

In general, any advance deposit is made with the understanding that once payment is made, it is not refundable unless the room is not available. The advance deposit is a guarantee that the landlord will save the specific dates for the renter. The landlord holds the room for the renter and in turn is guaranteed of payment for the specific period. An advance deposit is used to pay for the room whether the renter shows or does not show.

Very few landlords will refund your money if you show up and decide you don't like the room unless there is some type of special guarantee of satisfaction. To simplify things, just remember that a rental is very similar to a hotel room. Once you pay for it, very few hotels will refund your money if you don't like the room. A good hotel will try to adjust the accomodations, however, very few will refund your money (unless there are heavy penalties).

Well as long as I'm just paying for the period I am renting the place for, so the deposit is basically the first month's rent covered? so it's not like I'm paying for 4 months, but staying 3?

Edited by Jayroo

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to clarify if your deposit will be used as a damage deposit or as the first months rent. If it is to be used as a damage deposit, then you will owe the first months rent when you move into the unit. Then, you will have to deal with the issue of the return of the damage deposit upon moving out.

There are heaps of condos available for short or long term in the Pattaya area. Why take a chance like this? Follow good advice you got here and stay in a hotel or guesthouse first and check out the market so you can find something you like. This is low season and good, inexpensive hotels are available.