Favourite Restaurants

The Vulcan

I'm new to the area and wonder where you consider are good eating places?

So far I've enjoyed excellent Indian food at the Taj Mahal and I love the pizza's on the corner site in the town centre (soi leading to the Hilton)

Care to share your favourite places?

Must all be tourists I see in the restaurants then! :D

I have had holidays there and enjoyed both places you suggested. I found it hard to get authentic thai food (most places i went to held back on the spicy bits), but found a place called Bam Bam's down Poolsuk Rd near O'Neils Bar. Food is excellent and as a good sign a lot of the locals (expats and thais) eat there alot.

Also if you want to go a bit upmarket there is the Lets Sea which is about half way down the beach towards Koh Takiab. Had a dinner in the Chinese on the 17th floor at the Hilton which was very good.

Did not try places, but where they have the night markets there are supposed to be a lot of good places in and around that area.

Good bars I went to were O'Neils, Johnny Walkers, London Lounge, Monsoon Bar.

:o:D:D:D

Good reasonably priced Thai (and some international) food:

Minifarm Kitchen on Soi 88 beside 7/11 just across the railroad tracks and turn right.

Sirin Hotel Restaurant (across the parking lot from McDonalds) downtown.

Kim's Kitchen along the railroad tracks (east side).

Tamarind Restaurant on a dirt road in Nongkae beside the railroad track (east side) just north of the flyover. (You have to walk across a little wooden bridge over a canal. The sign is only in Thai so this may be hard to find but it is worth the trouble).

Usa Mass in Khao Takiab just past the new white temple on the opposite side of the road.

Cool Relax near the bus station behind old Hua Hin shopping mall.

Mr. Burger on the north end (east side) of the road that runs in front of Pai Mai driving range.

• Thanks 1

Carts on Pala-U road where 7/11 and Family Mart are adjacent.

Carts on left side of Phetchkasem heading north, big collection of them around soi 54, hab hoy tod, ba mee bet, etc etc.

Small monee and aroi makmak.

BBQ joint in the forecourt of TMB bank on Phetchkasem just south of the market.

Well, thanks for the responses. That's plenty to explore.

I must say I haven't been in any of the recommendations (yet) so seems I've quite a schedule ahead of me.

Once again, thank you for sharing this information

If you like Mexican food you should give Baja Tacos near the end of the night market on the left. Had one of their burritos and it was really good. Plan to go back soon. The service was good and friendly and the food a treat.

I agree, and another good place for Mexican (especially tostadas, meaty nachos, sizzling fajitas, and the best margaritas in town), although much more upscale is the California Cantina across the street from the Sofitel.

when i was last in HuaHin, i only went to 2 hawkers. some days they were there, other days they were not. i never did ask what time they turn up, but normally when i rolled out of bed, they would of been there.

looking at my slightly not so detailed lonely planet book and scanning my near faded memory, i'm sure of street stall hawker is somewhere down Th Phunsuk on derelict land, oppisite a row of tourist resturants. as for the other one, its down soi selekem, where the soi stagers in all directions. its usally sitting there oppiste a message parlour.

one other one i know has no photo menu, only thai script. only ever eat there once. after that only when i'm hungry, the blasted thing has shut shop. thats on the corner of Th Naep Khehat & Th Chomsin

Good reasonably priced Thai (and some international) food:

Minifarm Kitchen on Soi 88 beside 7/11 just across the railroad tracks and turn right.

Sirin Hotel Restaurant (across the parking lot from McDonalds) downtown.

Kim's Kitchen along the railroad tracks (east side).

Tamarind Restaurant on a dirt road in Nongkae beside the railroad track (east side) just north of the flyover. (You have to walk across a little wooden bridge over a canal. The sign is only in Thai so this may be hard to find but it is worth the trouble).

Usa Mass in Khao Takiab just past the new white temple on the opposite side of the road.

Cool Relax near the bus station behind old Hua Hin shopping mall.

Mr. Burger on the north end (east side) of the road that runs in front of Pai Mai driving range.

Ah yes Mr. Burger, one of my favorites, also last time I was there limited seating across from the Hin Nam- at the original location.

Also there is Chuan Chom which is gulf side of the road north past VIP Condo, both Thai and Western food is good there

And then there is the really popular Issan food joint across from the first Army base heading north-Sepi Lee

I tried Buffalo Bills before which is out that way also, its sort of western style steakhouse

Cheers,

Biggest

I had excellent Food in a Restaraunt i can't remember the name of, close to McD's on that small kind of complex there & it had an American Theme, on the Top level ??

Ribs, Pulled Pork etc, superb.. :o

Great American BBQ.

Pricey and they add tax and service so bump up the menu price by about 15%.

Thta's it, thanks..

& if they do bump up by 15%, so be it, i'm happy to pay it & it still seems cheap for me after being on Samui for 5 years.. :o

For real Thai food go to Kin Laek (กินแหลก). It's right on Petchkasem Rd. near soi 77, just about 400 meters from Hua Hin Condochain. Here you'll beg for less chilly.

I love Caruso for Italian food. It's on Naresdamri Rd. Just take a walk from Hilton up north for about 100m. It's on the corner of what they call Yaek Fah Pah (Thunderbolt intersection) for its narrow road but intersects to many allies. The place is small but the taste of food is not.

If you like Peking Duck I recommend White Lotus on top floor of the Hilton. If you like deep fried duck with sweet sauce I recommend Supatra by the Sea. Both places are great in terms of view for Hilton you can see far out to the sea, for Supatra by the Sea the tables are right on the beach (not so good in monsoon season like this but they do have tables under the roof and rooms with aircon if you despite the heat.

For seafood we like Chitra (จิตรา), a place in a concrete building right opposite where fishermen unload their freshies from the sea, behind Khao Takiab (the restaurant is actually 100 meters before the way up to Wat Khao Takiab and La Mer). So fresh seafood is guaranteed. La Mer's too overpriced but good for scenic view of the sea.

Other places that we go when we are there would be Let's Sea (fusion Thai), Pom Pom (Italian near Pacific condo....I can't remember the new name of the condo), and Coco 51 (fusion Thai).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion of Caruso. Went there with a friend and both the pizza and calzone were excellent!

A relatively new place on Phetkasem road between Soi's 113 and 115 (I think) called North Sea is good. They have an extensive drinks, wine, beer, and coffee menu and a smaller food menu of Northern Thai, traditional Thai, and Vietnamese food. I've tried several dishes and they were all good (especially the fresh Vietnamese spring rolls).

So far I've enjoyed excellent Indian food at the Taj Mahal and I love the pizza's on the corner site in the town centre (soi leading to the Hilton)

If you like French food, the best is La Paillote, opposite the Sofitel

• Thanks 1

Sorry, don't mean to be controversial, just helpful... but I think the French Restaurant on the beach just up a block from the city pier is by far the best choice for French food in Hua Hin. It is in a two story building with tables on the upper floor overlooking the beach, owned by a Belgian (I believe), it has excellent food, service and atmosphere from my experience (while a bit pricey, but aren't all French restaurants?). Sorry again, but the name of the establishment slips my elderly mind at the moment but I think it is easy to find from my description of the location (across from Monsoon).

Sorry, don't mean to be controversial, just helpful... but I think the French Restaurant on the beach just up a block from the city pier is by far the best choice for French food in Hua Hin. It is in a two story building with tables on the upper floor overlooking the beach, owned by a Belgian (I believe), it has excellent food, service and atmosphere from my experience (while a bit pricey, but aren't all French restaurants?). Sorry again, but the name of the establishment slips my elderly mind at the moment but I think it is easy to find from my description of the location (across from Monsoon).

It's called Brasserie de Paris. And yes, it's owned by a Belgian guy. (I wonder if his daughter took the rein since 2 years ago he said he would quit and wanted to just golf around.) The restaurant's nice, pricey but it's worth it.

• Thanks 1

I agree on this, judging by its la carte. They offer dishes that other French restaurants don't and I really appreciate the varieties but I do hope they have running water now. I'll check that out when I'm there for the jazz fest.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's called Brasserie de Paris. And yes, it's owned by a Belgian guy. (I wonder if his daughter took the rein since 2 years ago he said he would quit and wanted to just golf around.) The restaurant's nice, pricey but it's worth it.

No, Stephanie went back to Belgium some 6 months ago and is apparently running a travel agency there.

The food is good, particularly the fillet steaks, but I think that the fish dishes are a real ripoff - very very small portions.

A very good restaurant is the 'Boat' at khoa takiab - excellent allround food and very sensible prices and pleasant staff - take your own drinks if you wish - no corkeage charges whatsoever.

The 'Anantastila' at KT is very good, but not in the low season as there is hardy anybody there and thus no atmosphere.

Excellent pizzas at the 'Windmill' in the Grand plaza square. Bam Bam's behind the Tiporia Hotel is very good and 'Friends' on the road upto the railway station/driving range is very good for fish -excellent tampura and again very nice staff.

Enjoy your food

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

casa mia pizza , on the pala-u road about half a mile from the railway tracks.

excellent food , excellent service , excellent value in a professionally run unpretentious relaxing restaurant.

3 girls restaurant , on the canal road behind the hua hin hospital , a strange set up for a resaurant , with a large swimming pool for guests , a big stage for music , lakeside salas , an air conditioned room and a flower shop. good service and a large menu of thai and western food , good food , service and pricing.

there are more and more good eating places with easy parking outside the increasingly overpriced town centre these days.

however , one to avoid is BAAN -ESAAN on phetkasem rd , on the left on the way out of town about half a kilo before the hin naam sai suay condo. awful food ( on the night we went) , a very loud thai band , moronic service , an unfriendly manageress , and possibly the most disgusting urinals in s.e.asia. with toilets like that one can only be suspicious of the cleanliness of the kitchens and the cooking staff . count your drinks and ice buckets carefully before paying , our drinks bill was padded , but they removed the empty bottles from the trolley before bringing the bill. 100% disappointment from a place that looks very inviting.

the baan-esaan past the airport tunnel on the way to cha am is part of the same business but much better in all respects. down to the managers probably.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had fish and chips at The Original Fish and Chips Restaurant for the first time yesterday and I must say I am an instant fan of both the food and the hospitality!

The fish (I ordered Cod) and chips were the best I've had in Thailand. The place is right beside the railroad tracks near the old bus station. To my surprise, even thought it looks like a small almost temporary building, it had air conditioning and a toilet. The owner, Richard, a long time English ex-pat and Hua Hin resident, is a real character and I really enjoyed listening to the stories of the many adventures of his life. The place is owned by his Thai wife and run (at least when we were there) by his charming sister in law who herself is well traveled (years in Germany and Japan and speaks those languages as well as English and Thai). She even bought us a beer as did Richard when he arrived after we were finished with our meal.

It will be my first stop whenever I have a hankering for fish and chips anytime in the future.

I highly recommend it. :o:D :D

• Like 1

The Three Girls on the Klong Road that runs parallel to the railway. We eat there at least three times a week.

Also on the Pala U Road about 400m past the 7 Eleven just where the road goes from four lanes to two (but not for long) is a brand new place on the left. Can't remember the name but it's a big place with a thatched roof. Run by a Danish bloke and his Thai wife. Great food and it won't burst the bank.

La Mer in Khao Takiab, not the cheapest but great food.

Baan Isaara (?) is on the road that runs parallel to Phetchkaseem Road. It's actually the road that goes down the beach side of Starbucks at the fork. The restaurant is not too far from the far end of that road (heading north) and it is only about 250m from the end of it on the right. It is an old colonial type house down at the beach. Usually busy at weekends.

• Thanks 1

the seafood buffet at the sofhotel is the best I have ever experienced.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

If there are any Americans in or around Hua Hin who miss a big Thanksgiving dinner or anyone else who is curious about this American holiday fare, I just found out that the California Cantina across from the Sofitel is going to offer it with Turkey and all the traditional trimmings and side dishes. Thanksgiving this year for those who don't know is on November 27th.

They're offering it at b295 (plus Vat) which is a great value for a Thanksgiving buffet. I was told that anyone interested should contact the restaurant and make a reservation so that they'll have an idea of how much to cook (turkeys take a while to cook).

I've been to the Cantina for steak, ribs, and Mexican and all were good so I expect this to be a very tasty buffet.

Enjoy

• 1 month later...