Thailand Elite Card Looks To Moscow And London

george

I discovered a little something about the golf privileges of the Elite Card. While in Pattaya recently, I picked up a brochure from the Tourism Authority of Thailand office (now conveniently hidden up on the hill away from the prying eyes of most tourists). The brochure is entitled "Golf Guide Pattaya and the Eastern Seaboard". One side features a nice map showing locations of the golf courses and main roads. The other side has details, such as address, phone, fees for playing a round, hiring a caddy or cart, and facilities available. Twenty-five golf courses are featured. Of these 25 elite golf clubs, exactly one, Kiarti Thanee Country Club in Samutprakan, lists a 30% discount for visitors with "TGC", which I assume means Thai Gold Card. None of the other 24 clubs mentions anything about discounts for golfers with the glorious golden elite card.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m probably in the minority here but having had a look at their web site it looks like it’s a good deal for someone who travel a bit, plays golf and have 1mil collecting dust in the drawer. :D

Following info from the website with reservations for my interpretations of the benefits, not always clearly described on the site:

Costs: 1mil entrance fee, 40,000Bath/year subscription fee.

Note: It is a life membership and it can be transferred. If it’s a hit :D you could even make some money out of it. :D

On the other hand it could go bust anytime. Considering the likelihood of many high profile high power members any default would most likely result in the initial entrance fee to be returned to save face for the government.

Benefits:

Stay:

Indefinite stay visa. This means different things to different people. For someone on a retirement visa it would mean no need for the 800,000bath. For someone doing the visa runs it could save something around say 20,000bath per year (not sure on what these costs are, could vary a lot I guess)

Arriving and departing:

Fast track immigration, use of business class check in, can bypass all queues, free use of Thai business class lounge (free booze :o and snacks). Maybe not much savings here but nice if you travel a bit.

Transport:

Free limo service from airport to city in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket. Savings depend on your normal mode of transport, say 2000Bath savings, plus the extra comfort.

Upgraded travel experience:

Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus Gold membership. This gives you free upgrades, extra luggage allowance and mileage points. Maybe no savings but definitely a bonus if you travel a bit.

A base in the city:

Membership in Pacific City Club. No savings unless you planned to become a member anyway.

Business:

Exclusive meetings and seminars with top business executives and government officials. Handy for the business oriented, probably some free booze :D and food involved in these meetings as well. No real savings.

Health Advantage:

Free annual health check-up. No info on the extent of this check-up. An Executive check-up at Bumrungrad runs at about 15,000Bath. Say 5000Bath savings if you normally have an annual check-up.

Elite Living Health Care:

Free consultancy and treatment at selected hospitals. No details on this benefit but mentioning anti aging and lasik treatment at Bumrungrad plus several others so guess lets put a 20,000Bath saving on this.

Assurance:

2mil accident coverage. Not sure what kind of savings this will give you, say 2000Bath.

Spa Treats:

Regular complimentary spa treatments. No info on how many per year. Say four treatments a year and that you normally have several Thai massages a year then you would save about 1,500Bath, much more if you normally do full monthy :D.

Special deals at selected hotels, restaurants and shops:

Probably no savings here.

Liason:

Access to unique and rare tour packages, priority booking for sporting and other international events in Thailand. Probably no savings here.

Member Service:

24 hours hotline with assistance to deal with any situations. Handy but probably no savings.

Golf:

Membership privileges with complementary green fees at forty golf clubs in Thailand. This is where you make a killing if you are a keen golfer. If you save around 700Bath per round and play three times a week like many golfers here do you will save over 100,000Bath.

Total savings for the average punter around 50,000Bath plus whatever you save on golf. Take away the 40,000Bath/year subscription fee and you save 10,000Bath or much more if you really maximize on everything, especially the golf part.

For the serious jet-setter/Businessman I can not really see any benefits except for the fast track immigration. He will normally be on expenses anyway and already have the travel and hotel benefits from his normal travel.

NOTE: I get nothing for plugging this card but would accept a free card if anyone from the Elite Card Company reads this :D .

http://www.thailandelite.com

"TGC", which I assume means Thai Gold Card.

TGC is the Thaigolfer Card, nothing to do with the Elite Card. The Elite card covers several courses in that area including Laem Chabang and St Andrews 2000.

You're right - TGC is the Thaigolfer Card (www.thaigolfer.com) and you can get membership for 600 Baht per year. Great card to have if you play golf all over the country. :o

I’m probably in the minority here but having had a look at their web site it looks like it’s a good deal

Yes, I believe you are correct in your self-assessment. I would think your view would be representative of something along the lines of approximately

0.0000001% of the targeted audience for the Thai Elite card.

:o

Have you seen these new advertisements in some of the business magazines? Are these only in the local Thai copies? Or in all of Asia? Surely they're not world-wide! I wonder how much that cost!?  :D

post-20734-1129024365_thumb.jpg

I'm struggling to understand what kind of message they're trying to send on this one...? :o

"Come to Thailand and feel hands in your pants"

I'm struggling to understand what kind of message they're trying to send on this one...? :o

"Come to Thailand and feel hands in your pants"

H3ll, I can get that feeling for free several times a night in Pattaya (and other places I imagine).

No need to buy an Elite card for that feeling (plus, with the million baht I save by NOT buying the card, maybe those "feeling hands" will be able to feel more than that large snake that lives there) ! :D

TGC is the Thaigolfer Card, nothing to do with the Elite Card. The Elite card covers several courses in that area including Laem Chabang and St Andrews 2000.

You're right - TGC is the Thaigolfer Card (www.thaigolfer.com) and you can get membership for 600 Baht per year. Great card to have if you play golf all over the country. :o

OK, I stand corrected. I'd never heard of the Thaigolfer Card, which actually sounds like a pretty good deal, unlike a certain other card. Still, one would think that a brochure promoting Thai golf courses put out by TAT would mention if the Elite Card covers several courses in the area of the map.

Still trying to sell that pesky elite card? Put it right up there w/timeshares.  :o

Well put Brit :D

wow!!!... I totally agree... what a revelation!... that's perfect!!... they've had the wrong group in charge for it's marketing and sales since the start. Those guys could have easily sold a million of those worthless plastic cards by now.

The other group that would have done well would have been protection racket enforcers.

"Buy a card or we're breaking your leg......... twice."

You're right - TGC is the Thaigolfer Card (www.thaigolfer.com) and you can get membership for 600 Baht per year. Great card to have if you play golf all over the country. :D

For the same 30-50% discounts on all the courses in the Pattaya/Rayong area join the Pattaya Expats Club, 600Bath for a life time membership and no yearly subscription fee. This could even be a better deal than the Elite Card. :o

http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/golfgroup.htm

Still trying to sell that pesky elite card? Put it right up there w/timeshares.  :o

There was a photo in the paper this morning of the first punter, sorry, valued customer, to buy one in Moscow - the Canadian head of Pepsi (must be good money in fizzy water...) In the article below the photo, he admitted that he'd only got it because he was pressured by the Thai ambassador to Moscow in the days before the Thai Elite Card gravy train, sorry, promotional team, arrived in town. What are the odds that he wrote the whole thing off as expenses because of all the promotion that Pepsi were getting out of it? :D:D

And again the same comments :o

Ok, my point of view :D

This product is restricted to the people who can afford it. It is, of course, a minority.

When I say "afford", I mean those who don't think that 1 million is a lot of money.

These people are much more numerous on earth than what the majotity of the people on this forum seems to suspect.

This kind of people can spend a million when they go on holiday... for 5 days.

So, the value of this card is far less "astronomic" for them than for most other people.

Going back to the website www.thailandelite.com

1) "Stay"

This visa is the perfect option for the people who are rich enough not to work, but too young to be considered as retired. There are a lot of these people, even if most won't spend a million only to have a long term visa.

For businessmen, it is perfect too. And even for the retirees, this Special Entry visa eliminates lots of troubles... at a certain cost.

2) "Arriving and departing"

Just great. Attendants meet the members at the gate, bring them to the TE lounge and take care of everything. No need to go through immigration, no need to collect the luggage, no need to carry bags... Everything rapid, in style, no stress... and "pouf" you end up in a limo in less time you ever thought it was possible to do.

Many members from China or Taiwan come down to BKK for business just for the day. It means that this privilege is perfect for them.

3) "Luxury transport"

No need to explain. Limousine transfer, very efficient, always perfectly on time. Nothing to say.

4) "Upgraded Travel experience"

Not only they give the Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus Gold to the members, with all the advantages offered by Star Alliance, but TE also offers a free companion ticket for every int'l flight. Some will say that "it is only in Business or First", but the type of persons who buy the card surely already fly First class since a long time. So, the offer is very nice. You never travel alone :D

This is not a discount, it is a very nice privilege.

But if you want to speak about money, it means that everytime you go to Europe with your wife you save 200.000 bath (for those who are used to fly First class, of course).

5) "A base in the city"

The membership to the Pacific City Club is great for business meetings or social gatherings. Top class place for top class meetings, with top class rooms and material. This can't be usefull to people who don't belong to the business world, but to those who need to conduct high level meetings in Bangkok it is great.

Also a good place to visit in order to meet the wealthy local businessmen, for those interested.

6) "Open for business"

THIS is the most interesting of the TE privileges. Business gatherings, conferences, easy contacts, cocktail parties, invitations to events, ...

The real value of TE is here. It is networking in the country. Access to places or people you would not have access otherwise.

But the value of this privilege can be appreciated only by members, of course.

7) "The assurance of insurance"

Ok, probably this is less usefull, since every member is surely "over insured". They all already have insurance attached to their Amex Platinum or Centurion (at least).

8) "Golfing Heaven"

Unlike what was said above on this forum, the advantages cover 38 golf courses in the country.

9) "Spa treats and treatments"

Thailand is the country of the Spa. It had to be in the TE privileges. If you can afford a card, better have a nice skin too :D

10) "Healthy advantages"

Uhm... that must be of some interest for the older rich members :D

11) "Recognition at reception"

Members surely didn't wait for TE to spend their nights in expensive hotels. But the membership automatically upgrades them to suites and welcomes them personaly. It does make the difference.

12) "The best table in the house"

Well, they really provide you with the best table...

13) "Shopping services"

Uhm... That is certainly the best way to ensure that the wife of the member spends even more than usual :D

But still a good service...

14) "Liaison"

Custom made tours for the member and his guests. Very confortable, and no souvenir shops included (so, you save money by not buying little bracelets, cool no? :D ). It has its value too...

15) "Member service"

A call center that can arrange everything. Rapid, polite and efficient...

Ok, in other words, it is not about discounts. It is about making life easy, trouble free stays, enjoyment, connections, ... for those who have and spend loads of money.

One of the goal of TE is to attract foreigners who can "bring something more to the country". It means active businessmen, rich retirees, etc...

Their goal is to make these people spend their time and money in Thailand rather than in other countries.

It is not a charity company that will offer discounts everywhere and make Thailand cheaper than it is.

For those who belong to the targeted group, and want to offer themselves this card, it is a good deal.

Uhm, I guess this will heat up the discussion :D

There was a photo in the paper this morning of the first punter, sorry, valued customer, to buy one in Moscow - the Canadian head of Pepsi (must be good money in fizzy water...) In the article below the photo, he admitted that he'd only got it because he was pressured by the Thai ambassador to Moscow in the days before the Thai Elite Card gravy train, sorry, promotional team, arrived in town. What are the odds that he wrote the whole thing off as expenses because of all the promotion that Pepsi were getting out of it? :D:D

Advertising and public relations write off for certain. Pepsicola makes a lot of money in Thailand. There's baht in bubbles.

( - snip - blah blah blah )

For those who belong to the targeted group, and want to offer themselves this card, it is a good deal.

Uhm, I guess this will heat up the discussion  :o

Hmmm... guess it will won't really "heat" things up... as all these pseudo-benefits of card ownership have already been hashed over to death in numerous previous threads.

The Elite card is a long-dead horse that has been flogged unmercifully for years now.

The bottom line is obvious to anyone with 2 open eyes... or even to a blind man with no eyes...

If the card WAS "a good deal" for the "targeted group," or any group for that matter, they would have sold far more than what they have done in the past years the card has been offered and remarketed and redone .

The proof is in their sales totals as even rich people aren't stupid enough to buy one.

:D

but anyway, yours was a good effort to try to revive this ...

:D

I think that if TE was offering real land privileges to foreigners it would certainly affect positively their sales.

That may well be true but I cannot imagine that there is any desire on the part of the appropriate powers-that-be to amend the land ownership laws in such a way, with the sole intention being that the Thailand Elite Card become a success.

This product is restricted to the people who can afford it. It is, of course, a minority.

Spin it that way if you like, but the original sales target for the Elite Card was one million cards moved in five years. I'd hardly call one million cardholders a minority.

Watching this saga is certainly more laughs than watching re-runs of the "Goons"

The difference is the Goons were deliberately trying to be funny and make you laugh.

The Elite Card crowd are desperately trying to be serious ............ but they still make you laugh.

Patrick

The benefits from having a TE card still seem very questionable

and I still can't see the value for money. I agree allowing land ownership

for farang`s could make a difference -but Thai`s are never going to

change their position on this- it is far too sensitive an issue.

But the real concern I have is what happens to card holders

after all the marketing hype simmers down and say for example there is

a reduction in the quality of some of these services ?

e.g. the car fails to turn up at the airport ........

You cant threaten to not renew your membership ?

Any situation where you pay a lump sum amount upfront

for what are meant to be ongoing services always seems risky

to me in any situation but in a country like Thailand where

consumer protection laws are relatively weak -who will TE

members be able to complain to if there is lack of performance

down the track and if standards drop ?

I think that if TE was offering real land privileges to foreigners it would certainly affect positively their sales.

That is the ONLY issue that would get me and a million other farangs interested.

I actually think that some kind of fast tracking into PR and / or a real long term non imm visa for the (rich) under 50 retired and unmarried brigade (that doesnt need a visa run every 90 days like the easily available B or O options) would also be good selling points..

If I played golf I get better savings with a 2000 baht PEG's card.. Limo and taxi is a very minor perk (dont these guys ahve drivers to pick them up).. I am rich enough to be retired and have 0 interest in biz contacts anymore (especially in Thailand)..

Really the only things to attract my interest would be land and visa benefits.. Niether of which seem to really be on offer..