Van/Truck Transport Of Large Dogs From Airport?

KayCee

We will be arriving in Chiang Mai fairly soon, and accompanying us will be our three dogs. Two of them are quite large dogs, the other a medium-sized street dog. So, we will have not only our family and a ton of luggage, but three fairly large dog crates to transport from the airport to our new house.

We feel guilty enough about the strain of the move, but given where we live now (there are no shelters, street animals are routinely poisoned, terrible vet care, and no possibility of re-homing an adult dog), there is no way we would leave them behind, even if they weren't so much part of the family. So, the question isn't should we be bringing them, but how to make sure that we can get them home from the airport without too much delay and added strain.

Fortunately we will arrive in the evening when it won't be as hot, but we're not sure who to call or how to go about arranging to get them to their new home. Anyone know any good company that we could contact to help us with this?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Kaycee,

Welcome to Chiang Mai !

You might think about stating here the approximate total size of the travel-cages your dogs will be in: if you think they'd fit in the covered back of a typical Chiang Mai songthaew (seelor) pick-up, with the two narrow rows of seats in the back, then we, or other folks here, might be able to recommend a trusted local driver.

best, ~o:37;

I agree with orang37, the songthaew is your best bet provided you don't arrive too late at night.

In Bangkok they have specialty companies with air conditioned vans that will pick-up and deliver pets to/from the airport (at Western prices and then some), but not in Chiang Mai.

A song thaew is definitely the way to go. You may need to use two of them. In many of them, the two bench seats can fold up, creating a larger cargo area. Also, some have luggage racks on top that would work for your suitcases, provided it isn't raining. If you're arriving fairly early in the evening, you probably wouldn't even have to arrange for them in advance. They hang out at the airport.

Are you expecting to clear customs with the dogs in Chiang Mai? If so, then you should plan on arriving during normal business hours. Few airports can clear animals at all hours because they need special animal inspectors.

Edited by NancyL

We will be flying in from Africa, and the best way was through Bangkok, so the animals will all clear customs there, and then have a short flight up to CM.

We have 3 different sized cages

1. 118 cm long by 90 cm wide, 80 cm high

2. 108 cm long by 56 cm wide, 92 cm high

3. 102 cm long by 62 cm wide, 75 cm high

We're supposed to arrive in CM at 6:30 in the evening, so hopefully things will still be available!

I really appreciate the information! We've moved internationally before, and we visited Chiang Mai and loved it, having spent lots of time in Thailand before, just in other parts. The only thing that has my anxiety churning at the moment is being sure we make it as easy on the animals as we can. It's going to be a not very fun day for them as it is, though we're coming from only about 8 hours away by plane, so it's not as horrendous a journey as if we were coming from the US. Still, we know it will be hard.

Here's a pic of the dogs back when they were celebrating the Dog Day of Tihar in Nepal where they all come from originally:

Cute dogs! Looks like they enjoy their holiday, but probably because of some treat they were getting, not their pretty floral collars. But, the dog we outplaced in the U.S. loved to play dress-up, mainly because people made a fuss over her when she was all dressed up. Fortunately, we found an excellent new home for her and the teenagers there dress her up every day before her walks so she can meet her admiring public.

Anyway, you should have no problem in finding song thaews at the airport at 6:30 pm.

Hi NancyL,

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement! The special treats on the Hindi religious holiday of Tihar (or Diwali in India) was the only reason they tolerated the once a year decoration with the silly flowers! Their dignity was very much offended and the marigold garlands and red vermillion powder was disposed of minutes after the picture was snapped!

We're looking forward to settling into Chiang Mai. It will be so nice to be in a country with a dog rescue place. Perhaps after we settle we'll meet up with other animal lovers while going to help out there.

There are Airport Taxi and the other Taxi organization very easy to get them at the airport and they have various size vehicles, I think they can help you finding the right vehicles. I like your dogs and I wish them the best. I'm a dog lover and I wish could own a dog. Anyway I think letting the dogs go in songthews would be too hot and a torture for them.

We will be flying in from Africa, and the best way was through Bangkok, so the animals will all clear customs there, and then have a short flight up to CM.

We have 3 different sized cages

1. 118 cm long by 90 cm wide, 80 cm high

2. 108 cm long by 56 cm wide, 92 cm high

3. 102 cm long by 62 cm wide, 75 cm high

We're supposed to arrive in CM at 6:30 in the evening, so hopefully things will still be available!

I really appreciate the information! We've moved internationally before, and we visited Chiang Mai and loved it, having spent lots of time in Thailand before, just in other parts. The only thing that has my anxiety churning at the moment is being sure we make it as easy on the animals as we can. It's going to be a not very fun day for them as it is, though we're coming from only about 8 hours away by plane, so it's not as horrendous a journey as if we were coming from the US. Still, we know it will be hard.

Here's a pic of the dogs back when they were celebrating the Dog Day of Tihar in Nepal where they all come from originally:

Why not take them out the cages when you get outside the airport, easier for transporting and i'm sure the dogs wouldn't mind :D

Edited by alfieconn

I'm certain that you would do so in any case, but be sure to inform yourself about protecting your three against tics and the diseases they carry. Here in the tropics, tics are everywhere.

By 6:30 p.m., it should be no longer be hot, as temperatures go here.

We'll definitely see if it works. Sadly, since they're coming from Nepal, then Africa, they've lived their lives in walled compounds (though we always tried to find ones with lots of space for them to run around), because it wasn't really safe to walk them with all the unvaccinated and aggressive street dogs around. Plus, there was occasional poisoned meat put out by the government. And, the folks just walking around the streets were terrified of big dogs, and tended to throw things at them and scream. One soldier guarding a minister's house even pointed his gun at our dog once. It's left our dogs more unsocialized than I would like, even if it did keep them safe. They're utter sweethearts, but might be totally overwhelmed by all the noise and bustle and people. At least it will be evening by then and hopefully a bit cooler, and thei cages are a good bit larger than they really needed, so they have a good bit of extra room in there. Two of my dogs love to sleep in theirs already so they just feel less stressed staying put for the last half hour or so of the ordeal. On the other hand, they may want to get out and get loved on by the kids and see all the stuff going on. :) We'll see whether being out will stress them or make them happier once we're there and can judge their reaction.

We'll be living in Mae Rim, so hopefully once they get there and home, we can get them a bit more used to walks and so on, and their lives will be as much richer as ours will be!

A few years ago we brought over our rescued dogs from a Mediterranean location to Chiang Mai via Bangkok. Whilst it is possible that things have changed since the move to the new airport, some things may not have been improved. You may already have considered the points I raise below and have the answers.

We found that time spent ensuring that the pre-flight vaccination & certification requirements are satisfied paid off handsomely. However, after landing and whilst the paperwork was being handled and the duty assessed the dogs were keep in their sky kennels in an unairconditioned warehouse and no arrangements were in place to water them. At the time the customs section handling the import and paperwork was located in a different building and handled paperwork in rotation, rather than giving priority to livestock. When they assess duty if they find there is duty to pay you or your representative had to pay before the dogs were released.

There was also no system in place to get our dogs from the arrivals warehouse to the domestic cargo area. As customs clearance and transfer times at this point could have lead to delays it was difficult to prebook space on a domestic flight. I can recall that one of the 2 waves of dogs we sent over (7 of them I think) landed at mid day and were shipped on a 4 - 4.30 pm flight. They eventually reached their newly built accommodation at this end just before 7, because having landed I had to get from the passenger terminal to the cargo building to sign for their release.

If you would like to know more, please PM me.

Edited by Saraphee

A few years ago we brought over our rescued dogs from a Mediterranean location to Chiang Mai via Bangkok. Whilst it is possible that things have changed since the move to the new airport, some things may not have been improved. You may already have considered the points I raise below and have the answers.

We found that time spent ensuring that the pre-flight vaccination & certification requirements are satisfied paid off handsomely. However, after landing and whilst the paperwork was being handled and the duty assessed the dogs were keep in their sky kennels in an unairconditioned warehouse and no arrangements were in place to water them. At the time the customs section handling the import and paperwork was located in a different building and handled paperwork in rotation, rather than giving priority to livestock. When they assess duty if they find there is duty to pay you or your representative had to pay before the dogs were released.

There was also no system in place to get our dogs from the arrivals warehouse to the domestic cargo area. As customs clearance and transfer times at this point could have lead to delays it was difficult to prebook space on a domestic flight. I can recall that one of the 2 waves of dogs we sent over (7 of them I think) landed at mid day and were shipped on a 4 - 4.30 pm flight. They eventually reached their newly built accommodation at this end just before 7, because having landed I had to get from the passenger terminal to the cargo building to sign for their release.

If you would like to know more, please PM me.

Thank you so much Saraphee. It's this sort of information that is so helpful. We've read the pet section of this forum and gotten some very useful hints - like being sure they ship from here as excess baggage on the same plane as us, and not as cargo. (Our kitty is traveling with us in the cabin) We've also got our agent here working to confirm their booking onward from BKK to CM to be sure there aren't any last minute snags. That flight leaves from the same terminal/airport so we were told that it wouldn't be far to move them once they're cleared, but I hope that's true. If there is a last minute disaster and we can't make a flight to CM that day without a ridiculous long (and hot) delay, we have a plan B which is to bag it and spend the night in BKK at the house of friends who are happy to have the dogs there with us. We have to have a truck on standby that's air conditioned, if we need to do that, but we're lining that up.

I swear I'm about a thousand times more stressed about moving them safely than I am about any of the other hassles with sea/air shipment allowances from our employer, or the packing, or anything else! Having such kind advice and tips is really helpful!

Hi KayCee,

If I understand it well, you will arrive in Chiang Mai in the early evening (6.30PM). What time does your plane land in BKK? Is that mid-day? As that would be pretty hot for the dogs; from the plane to the transfer area and back to the plane, I mean.

I know from two couples who rented a mini-van in BKK and drove up to Chiang Mai. Both brought two dogs with them. This could be another option.

Most dogs that I have collected (or know of) that came from far, were quite fine (and happy) once out from their travel crates. (make sure that collars and leads are all intact and strong).

As soon as you come out of Chiang Airport, you can let the dogs out of their crates and walk the parking lot a little so they can pee and poo. There are no street dogs there, that I have seen, but there may be one or two sniffer dogs with their handlers. Do have doggy bags ready though.

Last time I collected a boxer, big crate and care-giver, we got very kind help of the airport officials who carried the crate, that was full with poo and pee, to my car. They did not help cleaning the crate, though, before I put it in my car. ;)

Best is to keep them away from the street lights. My GSD got the fright of her life once, when sniffing one and she got a major shock. I don't think this is a regular thing of the streetlight there, but I rather avoid trying it out if there is still electricity on it or not.

There is a car rental agency here, that you may want to contact. They are definitely big dog lovers, but not sure if they are willing to transport dogs in their rental cars. You could email them and ask: http://www.phuritacarrent.com/index.php It would be so much easier for you if there is a van waiting for you to bring you and your dogs to your new home. If they are not able to help you, please feel free to send me a pm, and I can try to arrange a songteaw (red taxi) for you, if you like. :)

Nienke

Hi KayCee,

If I understand it well, you will arrive in Chiang Mai in the early evening (6.30PM). What time does your plane land in BKK? Is that mid-day? As that would be pretty hot for the dogs; from the plane to the transfer area and back to the plane, I mean.

I know from two couples who rented a mini-van in BKK and drove up to Chiang Mai. Both brought two dogs with them. This could be another option.

Most dogs that I have collected (or know of) that came from far, were quite fine (and happy) once out from their travel crates. (make sure that collars and leads are all intact and strong).

As soon as you come out of Chiang Airport, you can let the dogs out of their crates and walk the parking lot a little so they can pee and poo. There are no street dogs there, that I have seen, but there may be one or two sniffer dogs with their handlers. Do have doggy bags ready though.

Last time I collected a boxer, big crate and care-giver, we got very kind help of the airport officials who carried the crate, that was full with poo and pee, to my car. They did not help cleaning the crate, though, before I put it in my car. ;)

Best is to keep them away from the street lights. My GSD got the fright of her life once, when sniffing one and she got a major shock. I don't think this is a regular thing of the streetlight there, but I rather avoid trying it out if there is still electricity on it or not.

There is a car rental agency here, that you may want to contact. They are definitely big dog lovers, but not sure if they are willing to transport dogs in their rental cars. You could email them and ask: http://www.phuritacarrent.com/index.php It would be so much easier for you if there is a van waiting for you to bring you and your dogs to your new home. If they are not able to help you, please feel free to send me a pm, and I can try to arrange a songteaw (red taxi) for you, if you like. :)

Nienke

I would not advise using a song thaew because as far as I know, most of them have open ended passenger entrances and exits at the rear of these taxis and if the dogs were to become a little boisterous, they could easily bolt out of the taxi.

Do you have contacts already in Chiang Mai who could make the arrangements for you?

When I advised using a song thaew, I thought the dogs would be in their crates. Now that I've learned their final destination is Mae Rim, then perhaps a rental van might be better, where they could be released from their crates and ride in air conditioned comfort. A song thaew ride to Mae Rim is trying even for humans.

Why does not one of all you helpfull people (in case you have a pick up truck)offer to pick them up and bring them to their house in mae rim!

I have no car,but if i had one i would offer this....and the problem would be solved and maybe a new friendship made! ;-)

Why does not one of all you helpfull people (in case you have a pick up truck)offer to pick them up and bring them to their house in mae rim!

I have no car,but if i had one i would offer this....and the problem would be solved and maybe a new friendship made! ;-)

I don`t think people are not offering to help out of malice.

The problem is that the a specific type of vehicle is required for the transportation of these dogs from the airport, such as an enclosed space wagon or mini bus.

An ordinary car is too small and an open pick up or open red taxi would not be suitable for reasons already mentioned.

Ah ha, I have just at this very moment thought of a solution. If the OP could send me 3000 baht, I`ll tell him what it is.

No, no, only joking, couldn`t resist it.

I know that the Chiang Mai blue and yellow taxi meter company have these vehicles, I have seen them on the road and that these vehicles can be booked with the driver, using a credit card over the phone or cash and they don`t charge a fortune. I believe the staff also speak reasonable english.

Does anyone have their phone number that can be passed on to the OP?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFMTBBh2AjY

post-110219-0-55038800-1307486305_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

@ Beetlejuice: you got a point about the dog's safety vs. the open end of the red taxi's. But with good fitting strong collars and leads, the dogs can be tied up in the front (just behind the driver, I mean)). If the collars and leads are no good, then these dogs shouldn't be taken out of their crates till they arrive at their new home and after the gate closes behind their butt.

I strongly doubt that KayCee would take the risk to have unsuitable collars and leads on these dogs.

Info on taxi-meters in CNX (google is your best friend ;)):

http://www.chiangmaiexpertdriver.com/

http://www.taxichiangmai.com/taxi_rates.asp (for Mae Rim district the fee is 300 baht) best to make a print out of this page and show it to the driver if they do difficult)

Sorry - I've been without internet in my current country of residence for a full day and couldn't respond. If you guys can believe it, the internet is far worse here, than there! rolleyes.gif

Bakala you're very sweet, but I wasn't fishing for an offer of a ride, just for advice on how to get it done. This move is costing us many thousands of dollars, so a van or taxi rental cost is not my biggest concern.

I really don't know what to say about the crate vs. no crate. Two of my dogs love their crate, one detests it. They would behave well in an air conditioned van out of their crates, I'm sure, but one tends to get carsick, and while he probably would have an empty tummy, it still could be rather unpleasant with foaming dog drool and all that, and I would hate that to be some kind soul's first impression of our family! whistling.gif

As for the collars and leads -- these guys haven't been walked much, and their collars are nice ones good leather ones from a visit to S. Africa (all they have where I live now is nasty barbed metal ones). Will they stay on if the 80 pound dog is having a hissy fit of panic? Probably. Have I tried it to be sure? No. :(

So... If I understand what people are telling me - my two best choices are probably either to have them IN their kennel in the Song Thaew (but this would not be suitable if they're out of their kennel). The downside is - even at 7 pm or so it may be warm, and it's a long painful ride to Mae Rim this way

Or, to try to take them out of their kennels and be safely inside a rented van type vehicle that has A/C (not a truck where the back is hot).

I think I would feel better to arrange the latter. If we take the kennels right up to the van, and stay with the critters inside it, they would feel secure and fine. And I can wipe doggie drool on the ride so we don't make a mess for the poor driver.

That seems the best, right? Now I need to find out how to arrange that, lol.

I so much appreciate the good advice and kind thoughts from everyone!