Fish 'N' Chips

Mosha

Hi all love fish and chips and worked on fishing boats for years when i was younger as well.....

I grew up in a small fishing town in Swampscott Massachusetts USA of Swampscott Dory fame dory the boat not the fish, most if not all of the fish we landed was shipped day boat fresh to Logan Airport then onto England to be sold as fish and chips.. in the old days cod fish was the product then the cod got scarce and we started catching haddock which is very nice but now a days they catch strictly what we call dogfish i/e sand shark and that is what is sent to England now for fish and chips...

so enjoy your shark and chips lads.. :D

In Thailand at the super market ive been buying the fresh dory fillets for making fish and chips not sure what type of fish it is i always thought it was dory cod or scrod tastes the same yummy.... :whistling:

Dog Fish aka Rock Salmon, although the Spiney Dog fish is now on the endangered list. Where I lioved in Dewsbury is a Haddock area, very little Cod. I don't mind Ccod fresh caught, ie by me, but I do prefer my Haddock.

Edited by Mosha

Dog Fish aka Rock Salmon, although the Spiney Dog fish is now on the endangered list. Where I lived in Dewsbury is a Haddock area, very little Cod. I don't mind Cod fresh caught, ie by me, but I do prefer my Haddock.

Hi all love fish and chips and worked on fishing boats for years when i was younger as well.....

I grew up in a small fishing town in Swampscott Massachusetts USA of Swampscott Dory fame dory the boat not the fish, most if not all of the fish we landed was shipped day boat fresh to Logan Airport then onto England to be sold as fish and chips.. in the old days cod fish was the product then the cod got scarce and we started catching haddock which is very nice but now a days they catch strictly what we call dogfish i/e sand shark and that is what is sent to England now for fish and chips...

so enjoy your shark and chips lads.. :D

In Thailand at the super market ive been buying the fresh dory fillets for making fish and chips not sure what type of fish it is i always thought it was dory cod or scrod tastes the same yummy.... :whistling:

Having grown up on the North Sea coast, all the 'chippes' sold only local fish, never anything from the next county, let alone another country. But maybe it's different inland. But what glassdude and a few other non-Brits seem to be getting confused with is that when you go to a 'chippie' you don't just order fish and chips you choose which fish you want. Generally it's a choice of Cod, Haddock, Plaice, Skate or Rock Eel (Dogfish/ Sand Shark), you pick which fish you want. I haven't been in the UK for a while now so I'm not sure about Rock Cobbler being on the menu as a Cod alternative, but I've had Pangasius a few times here and never been impressed. Personally both Pangasius and TubTim are two of the worse fish I've ever tasted and never buy them anymore.

But thanks Rudie, I like the idea of using Parrot fish, I may have to pick some up tomorrow and play around. Anyone know what Parrot fish is in Thai? It's not on my fish list.

Makro stores sell Deep-Fryers, brand name Minoya. I bought mine at Makro ,Buriram . From memory B1,900

they got a promotion on in the makro by me..By 1 get 1 free rolleyes.gif

Google translate says pla nok gaew (ปลานกแก้ว)Sounds too convenient. I've seen them on the market though, do what I do and point "Taow arai/ e baht?" :lol:

Google translate says pla nok gaew (ปลานกแก้ว)Sounds too convenient. I've seen them on the market though, do what I do and point "Taow arai/ e baht?" :lol:

I was going to say Pla Nok Gaew, but I doubt it's right. I normally do just point and say "taow rai?" too, but I'm trying to learn all the different fish names. I found a great list of fish names online that I use, but Parrotfish isn't on there.

I thought the Brits were using sand shark etc as a replacement for Cod since the NFLD/grand banks fishery closed. Incidentally shark is great flaky firm fish for f&C. Watch it though ...some varieties require overnight soaking in lemon juice to get rid of the unpleasant uric acid taste

I think you are misinformed to think the brits relied solely on the grand banks fishery for their cod supplies since we have an excellent cod fishery on our doorstep in the north sea and have had for many years, maybe in my grandfathers day there were trawlers that ventured as far afield as the grand banks or into Icelandic waters, 5 or 10 years back the north sea went through a bad patch because restrictions were put in place mainly due to overfishing by foreign trawlers entering UK waters and fishing with nets that the UK fishermen were not allowed to use, but now the fishery is relatively successful, although due to costs, many of the UK Fish processors do import Icelandic cod, but these are larger fish with larger meat flakes and in my opinion don't quite taste as good as the north sea caught fish.

...lol..so much for my Brit grammar school education and my revered geography teacher....don't think I said "solely" though..Dogger Bank also probably....

might want to take a look at this too...http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/15/europe-cod-fishing-quota

[theseahorse] i think you might have had the farmed pangasius as someone who lived in yorkshire and done a lot of fishing out of bridlington i know what fish out of the sea tastes like,i do buy pangasius-pangasius which is out of saltwater,i have only been able to get it at home fresh in the malls,yesterday 289kilo labled pacific dory fillet as it comes frozen it needs to be drained on kitch.towels

[theseahorse] i think you might have had the farmed pangasius as someone who lived in yorkshire and done a lot of fishing out of bridlington i know what fish out of the sea tastes like,i do buy pangasius-pangasius which is out of saltwater,i have only been able to get it at home fresh in the malls,yesterday 289kilo labled pacific dory fillet as it comes frozen it needs to be drained on kitch.towels

i just remembered what i used to do with farmed fish was to salt them overnight this could do the trick with the pangasius[dory fillets]sold in makro,when old creeps up on you,you start to forget things,o shit what was i talking about.

i just remembered what i used to do with farmed fish was to salt them overnight this could do the trick with the pangasius[dory fillets]sold in makro,when old creeps up on you,you start to forget things,o shit what was i talking about.

Thanks, maybe I'll look out for the saltwater variety pangasuis pangasius, I tried a few places in the past, normally labelled Dory, (but nothing like a John Dory) and they were definitley freshwater, with a very muddy flavour.

I thought the Brits were using sand shark etc as a replacement for Cod since the NFLD/grand banks fishery closed. Incidentally shark is great flaky firm fish for f&C. Watch it though ...some varieties require overnight soaking in lemon juice to get rid of the unpleasant uric acid taste

I think you are misinformed to think the brits relied solely on the grand banks fishery for their cod supplies since we have an excellent cod fishery on our doorstep in the north sea and have had for many years, maybe in my grandfathers day there were trawlers that ventured as far afield as the grand banks or into Icelandic waters, 5 or 10 years back the north sea went through a bad patch because restrictions were put in place mainly due to overfishing by foreign trawlers entering UK waters and fishing with nets that the UK fishermen were not allowed to use, but now the fishery is relatively successful, although due to costs, many of the UK Fish processors do import Icelandic cod, but these are larger fish with larger meat flakes and in my opinion don't quite taste as good as the north sea caught fish.

...lol..so much for my Brit grammar school education and my revered geography teacher....don't think I said "solely" though..Dogger Bank also probably....

might want to take a look at this too...http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/dec/15/europe-cod-fishing-quota

Hi David, I have to laugh when these quota cuts are enforced largely through miscalculations of the scientific researchers, but also a contributing factor is the UK government trading some of those quotas off to other EU members, I would think the real experts are the fishernen themselves, although I havent been back to UK since early 2010, I have many friens that are skippers fishing off the North of Scotland and up until that time fishing was ok, also having spent 16 years as a fisherman and a further 11 years in the fishing net manufacturing business (3 years as factory manager) this included manufacturing nets for the Torry marine lab, I have seen the equipment that the scientists use to make their calculations, they are using methods/equipment to catch the fish that were used by the fishermen 25 years earlier, and they continue to fish for their samples in the same areas, whilst the fishermen are exploring many areas of the north sea.

Ok I cannot vouch for south of the border, but I am sure not many scottish fish processors would import haddock when the haddock is plentiful right on our doorstep, my daughter is married into a fish processing family and I do know there are times when they import small amounts of haddock and cod from Iceland for international export.

Ok back to confused. We were going out to a favourite eating spot in Ranong. SWMBO wanted to go to Tesco. (Rule #1 being do as the person doing most of the cooking says :lol: ) In the frozen fod section was Pengasius and it gave the Latin scientific name, and right along side it was "Pacific Dory". What is Pacific Dory?

Ok back to confused. We were going out to a favourite eating spot in Ranong. SWMBO wanted to go to Tesco. (Rule #1 being do as the person doing most of the cooking says :lol: ) In the frozen fod section was Pengasius and it gave the Latin scientific name, and right along side it was "Pacific Dory". What is Pacific Dory?

It's the same thing, they sometimes call Pengasuis; Pacific Dory, Cream Dory or just Dory. It's possible that one of them was the freshwater variety and the other was the saltwater (well, slightly salty water) variety.

OK thanks, yes possibly one of them is the Freshwater. Just need to find Pla Ka Bpong (Snapper) in the market. I know it's there cos another favourite eating spot has it on the menu.

At most Food Courts, KKens, I order the fish (2 peice) and not the rice but ask for fries.

They give you a white sauce and salad with it for 50 bath and it is very good, for thailand.

Sometimes you have to watch that they not put the gravy on the fish.

Not perfect but in a pinch it will do !

• 4 weeks later...

Me dear old mam used to do crinkle cut chips. Now't wrong with them.

-----------------------------

:whistling:

I'm sure you Brits won't believe it but in the late 50's and early 60"s my father used to do a Saturday Fish Fry meal for the whole family. This was in the U.S. in western Massachusetts.

I don't remember what the Fish was, but I remember very well that we made the potatoes out of those my father had planted last year in our garden. My mom would cook and can them in Mason jars and they were kept downstairs in the cellar in sealed Mason jars until they were needed.

We had a Potato cutter that gave us a crinkle-dut Potato slice. My father was in charge of deep-frying them in hot Bacon fat drippings we kept from frying Bacon for breakfast.

Mom used to bake hot homemade Cornbread to go with the Fish and Potatos. While that was baking she would also mix up a tossed salad from fresh vegatables we had picked from the garden.

The 3 kids were in charge of washing and cutting up the Potatos for my father to cook.

But that was before the days that food came from malls selling packaged cr-p...or as I call it the food in the U.S. became "cali-fornicated".

I guess I'm part of the last generation where meals were prepared by the family at home from fresh incredients rather than bought from a store pre-packaged.

But that's another story.

:blink:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Me dear old mam used to do crinkle cut chips. Now't wrong with them.

-----------------------------

:whistling:

I'm sure you Brits won't believe it but in the late 50's and early 60"s my father used to do a Saturday Fish Fry meal for the whole family. This was in the U.S. in western Massachusetts.

I don't remember what the Fish was, but I remember very well that we made the potatoes out of those my father had planted last year in our garden. My mom would cook and can them in Mason jars and they were kept downstairs in the cellar in sealed Mason jars until they were needed.

We had a Potato cutter that gave us a crinkle-dut Potato slice. My father was in charge of deep-frying them in hot Bacon fat drippings we kept from frying Bacon for breakfast.

Mom used to bake hot homemade Cornbread to go with the Fish and Potatos. While that was baking she would also mix up a tossed salad from fresh vegatables we had picked from the garden.

The 3 kids were in charge of washing and cutting up the Potatos for my father to cook.

But that was before the days that food came from malls selling packaged cr-p...or as I call it the food in the U.S. became "cali-fornicated".

I guess I'm part of the last generation where meals were prepared by the family at home from fresh incredients rather than bought from a store pre-packaged.

But that's another story.

:blink:

The generation growing up now don't even buy vegetables unless they've been washed and chopped up already.....or cut into cute shapes etc! laugh.gif

i tried some cutlets of spanish mackeral in a light batter looks dark but cooks up white,very good taste,tesco or home fresh,yesterday they had line caught cutlets at home fresh [415bht kilo] trying some today.

(Pangasius, Vietnamese River Cobbler, White Catfish, Gray Sole) What ever you want to call it.

Found this quite interesting artical a while back, i have since steered clear of any establishments selling it, but to be fair the artical was written some time ago so may be things have changed but until i here different i will not even entertain eating this fish.

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

Just to add some thing positive to this thread, i remember a while back my ex, run a take away service in Pattaya, fish and chips were quite a big seller, the fish she used was called Indian Halibut (Or One Eye) a salt water species which we bought from the Naklua fish market, huge beasts Compared to the tiddlers being sold in the Big two Supermarkets) and the nearest salt water fish i could find that come any where near Cod, (in taste, color and texture that is)alough still a long way off.

The Big Two Supermarkets do sell it but they are tiny and one would have a hard job getting any decent sized fillet from them,We used to buy 30-40 kilos at a time from Naklua market, but after filleting the fish you would end up with about half the weight in fillets.

Just google Indian Halibut and click images to see what it looks like, and yes with those teeth it does somewhat resemble a Piranha fish.

TB