Fish 'N' Chips

Mosha

Dory fish, available frozen in Makro, is a good one.

as a lover of fish and chips dory fish fillets are the best,be aware there are farmed fillets about 140bht.kilo from makro,and pacific sea fillets 290kilo,home fresh these are better tasting,the farmed ones says farmed on the packets.

Hi, we buy in the Uk from tesco, River Cobler, it is a nice firm white fish meat. It is in actual fact Catfish - so I suggest you try a nice piece of cat fish you could even catch your own !!!! Good luck

River cobbler is actually the Pangasius fish, which a lot of UK fish and chip shops are using as a substitute for cod (mainly due to the fact that its much cheaper than cod these days)

Most of it is farmed and not very nice, tbh

Penkoprod

Hi, we buy in the Uk from tesco, River Cobler, it is a nice firm white fish meat. It is in actual fact Catfish - so I suggest you try a nice piece of cat fish you could even catch your own !!!! Good luck

River cobbler is actually the Pangasius fish, which a lot of UK fish and chip shops are using as a substitute for cod (mainly due to the fact that its much cheaper than cod these days)

Most of it is farmed and not very nice, tbh

Penkoprod

We use White Snapper or Tomuck ( spell/phonetic?) very like Barramundi but cheaper and firmer, I think... all available at local Thai markets.

Pangasius being fresh water is probably rather soft..like many local fresh water fish I have tried?.

I thought the Brits were using sand shark etc as a replacement for Cod since the NFLD/grand banks fishery closed. Incidentally shark is great flaky firm fish for f&C. Watch it though ...some varieties require overnight soaking in lemon juice to get rid of the unpleasant uric acid taste

Quote...."Good chip spuds are no problem"

They are for me,what variety do you use to create good chips?

only one variaty of spud for chips[maris piper]as they are not available i have used tesco spudsthe past couple of years with good results,how do you cook them,my way if you have a deep fat frier,set at 130temp.cook till just soft,lay out on kitchen towel till cold and put in fridge over night,when your going to eat set fat temp.190-200 when the fat is hot-hot drop in the chips and you will get good crispy ones.mrs bought spuds yesterday from tesco not a green one in sight.

Dory fish, available frozen in Makro, is a good one.

as a lover of fish and chips dory fish fillets are the best,be aware there are farmed fillets about 140bht.kilo from makro,and pacific sea fillets 290kilo,home fresh these are better tasting,the farmed ones says farmed on the packets.

just been reading some disturbing facts about pangasius the ones that are farmed along the mekong-delta[google search pangasius] but there are only 2types that live in salt water hence the diff.in price,it is also known as river cobler.

Googling Dory fish is bringing up photos of Pangasius (Pla Suay), is this the same fish? Thanks for the info. :)

the 2types found in saltwater are,pangasius-pangasius and pangasius krempfi,i did try the farmed not again.

@ Meatboy, here in Ranong the Tesco spuds are not as good, I'm not the only expat who has commented on them. Next job when in BKK or Phuket is to look up a deep fat frier. Thankyou all for the info, and I also had read the Pengasius stuff on it not being a safe food source. Just missing the mushy peas now. :lol:

@ Meatboy, here in Ranong the Tesco spuds are not as good, I'm not the only expat who has commented on them. Next job when in BKK or Phuket is to look up a deep fat frier. Thankyou all for the info, and I also had read the Pengasius stuff on it not being a safe food source. Just missing the mushy peas now. :lol:

there are some good deep fat friers about but exspensive,i bought one cost 1600bht only lasted 18months cheap compared to the professional ones,so i bought a good double handled pan,already had the basket,i found it ok.you just got to make sure the fat is not to hot on the first cooking.regarding the spuds i have found them ok.at most places,big c.central,tops.with the fish fresh fish out of the sea you cant beat,but some that are farmed taste awfull,i once bought a fish that looked like red snapper name sounds [taptin] it was like eating mud[.good chipping]

Dory is not farmed. What you are seeing is actually freshwater catfish fillets (commonly known as "Pangasius" but its actually Pangasianodon) being sold under a false name. Most of what you see here is either from Thailand or Vietnam. The Vietnamese stuff is usually much better.

just been reading some disturbing facts about pangasius the ones that are farmed along the mekong-delta[google search pangasius] but there are only 2types that live in salt water hence the diff.in price,it is also known as river cobler.

I can assure you that a lot of the "facts" are misinformation being circulated in the media by overseas lobby groups, who are scared of competition from imported Vietnamese catfish. We have been doing research on catfish farming practices in Vietnam for the last couple of years, and they are grown under very good conditions.

The water quality in your typical Vietnamese catfish pond is excellent, because they are exchanging a large percentage (30% or more) every day. They need to do that to keep the flesh colour good. It also helps that they have a practically unlimited source of water from the Mekong. If you've ever seen what a static water catfish pond looks like...well I know which one I'd rather eat.

But give me a marine fish any day.

Dory is not farmed. What you are seeing is actually freshwater catfish fillets (commonly known as "Pangasius" but its actually Pangasianodon) being sold under a false name. Most of what you see here is either from Thailand or Vietnam. The Vietnamese stuff is usually much better.

I can assure you that a lot of the "facts" are misinformation being circulated in the media by overseas lobby groups, who are scared of competition from imported Vietnamese catfish. We have been doing research on catfish farming practices in Vietnam for the last couple of years, and they are grown under very good conditions.

The water quality in your typical Vietnamese catfish pond is excellent, because they are exchanging a large percentage (30% or more) every day. They need to do that to keep the flesh colour good. It also helps that they have a practically unlimited source of water from the Mekong. If you've ever seen what a static water catfish pond looks like...well I know which one I'd rather eat.

But give me a marine fish any day.

being a fisherman 50years i have seen a lot of change,sea bass one of the best,brown trout,rainbow trout,salmon excellent to eat but these are comercially farmed and there is a big diff.in taste,so give me the saltwater pangasius and any fish caught in their natural inviroment,i could murder a loch fyne kipper.

there are some good deep fat friers about but exspensive,i bought one cost 1600bht only lasted 18months cheap compared to the professional ones,so i bought a good double handled pan,already had the basket,i found it ok.you just got to make sure the fat is not to hot on the first cooking.regarding the spuds i have found them ok.at most places,big c.central,tops.with the fish fresh fish out of the sea you cant beat,but some that are farmed taste awfull,i once bought a fish that looked like red snapper name sounds [taptin] it was like eating mud[.good chipping]

I believe Taptim are pink coloured Nile Tilapia

I consulted for a fish n chip start-up

My team and I went through all the local fish.

Without a shadow of doubt, Parrot fish is a far far superior local fish. Breaks down textually like Cod, but has incredible flavour.

Not cheap - thats why most businesses wouldn't use it, but the extra cost warrants a considerably higher retail price as it's delicious.

jap.gif

Makro crinkle cut chips are excellent value and fry up consistently well.

Chipping potatoes can be hit and miss and, frankly, for any minor benefits the effort is not worthwhile.

No self-respecting Englishman would eat Makro crinkle cut chips.

Mai chai Sir - I can introduce you to a couple of dozen Brits (English really + 1 Taffy) who regularly order crinkle cut chips with our meals.

They crisp up nicely and have a good taste. Better, IMHO, than Farm Fritesn brand.

When we introduced steak chips most customers still opted for crinkle cut.

The English are OK, it is the Americans who need a bit of encouragement and counselling to wean them off 'fries' :bah:

I thought the Brits were using sand shark etc as a replacement for Cod since the NFLD/grand banks fishery closed. Incidentally shark is great flaky firm fish for f&C. Watch it though ...some varieties require overnight soaking in lemon juice to get rid of the unpleasant uric acid taste

I think you are misinformed to think the brits relied solely on the grand banks fishery for their cod supplies since we have an excellent cod fishery on our doorstep in the north sea and have had for many years, maybe in my grandfathers day there were trawlers that ventured as far afield as the grand banks or into Icelandic waters, 5 or 10 years back the north sea went through a bad patch because restrictions were put in place mainly due to overfishing by foreign trawlers entering UK waters and fishing with nets that the UK fishermen were not allowed to use, but now the fishery is relatively successful, although due to costs, many of the UK Fish processors do import Icelandic cod, but these are larger fish with larger meat flakes and in my opinion don't quite taste as good as the north sea caught fish.

I consulted for a fish n chip start-up

My team and I went through all the local fish.

Without a shadow of doubt, Parrot fish is a far far superior local fish. Breaks down textually like Cod, but has incredible flavour.

Not cheap - thats why most businesses wouldn't use it, but the extra cost warrants a considerably higher retail price as it's delicious.

jap.gif

I would agree that the parrot fish is a decent tasting fish, my other fave here in LOS is sea bass (if I can get a fesh one),, I have tasted UK imported Haddock in Thailand a few times and although it tastes nice, the taste of the imported haddock is not the same as a freshly caught one, Haddock in my opinion is normally a much better tasting fish than cod, however once frozen cod still retains its taste while haddock loses much of its taste.

We've been buying the pangasius from Makro for some time... Aro brand (their house brand).

Yes, this comes from Vietnam.... and is quite delicious, I must say, made Cajun "blackened" style, which I like to make often, and the wife likes it as well. She also cooks it up Asian style, which is pretty tasty too. In addition, it was also quite decent baked in basil/garlic/pinenut pesto.

I think we buy more pangasius than any other type of fish.

frozen crinkle cut chips aroy double cooked,off to home fresh later on for pangasius,i am going to try a fillet smoked,and see if they got parrot fish which is best battered or steamed.fillet of haddock, mushy peas,chips yorkshire style cooked in beef dripping oh dont forget the scrumps.

Re Makro, do I need a card for them? I have a UK one but it's not ben used for a long time.

No membership card required, wouldn't think your UK card would suffice in LOS, but can get a day pass on entry,, many times we have forgot to bring our card and just sign on at the desk on entry