Police To Remove PAD "Vote No" Campaign Signs

webfact

Police ask BMA to remove PAD's 'vote-no' posters

news2011-06-06_09-50-29_255406060003_voteno.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 June 2011 (NNT) – The National Police Bureau has asked the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to have all the 'vote no' posters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) removed from the streets.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri stated that the BMA have the authority to remove 'vote no' posters from streets under the Cleanliness Act and the Advertisement Billboards Act since such posters are not for election campaigns.

The decision of the police came after the EC announced that removals of vote-no posters are out of its jurisdiction since they are not campaigning for any political parties.

The vote-no posters raised by the PAD features animals such as buffalo, monitor lizard, dog, monkey and tiger wearing suits similar to humans. The posters encourage people to vote no in the upcoming 3 July general election and tell people not to let 'animals' go into Parliament.

Earlier, Pheu Thai Party Spokesperson Prompong Noppasit asked the EC to take legal action and remove the posters from the streets since they are inappropriate, tarnish national image and can mislead perception about democracy among people, especially children and youth.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-06 footer_n.gif

The monkey looks honest. If i could vote it would definitely be the monkey, look he even comes with a banana. Definitely the monkey.

the monkey looks a little too much like a certain jailed red leader for my taste..........

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police ask BMA to remove PAD's 'vote-no' posters

BANGKOK, 6 June 2011 (NNT) – The National Police Bureau has asked the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to have all the 'vote no' posters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) removed from the streets.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri stated that the BMA have the authority to remove 'vote no' posters from streets under the Cleanliness Act and the Advertisement Billboards Act since such posters are not for election campaigns.

The decision of the police came after the EC announced that removals of vote-no posters are out of its jurisdiction since they are not campaigning for any political parties.

The vote-no posters raised by the PAD features animals such as buffalo, monitor lizard, dog, monkey and tiger wearing suits similar to humans. The posters encourage people to vote no in the upcoming 3 July general election and tell people not to let 'animals' go into Parliament.

Earlier, Pheu Thai Party Spokesperson Prompong Noppasit asked the EC to take legal action and remove the posters from the streets since they are inappropriate, tarnish national image and can mislead perception about democracy among people, especially children and youth.

nntlogo.jpg

The monkey looks honest. If i could vote it would definitely be the monkey, look he even comes with a banana. Definitely the monkey.

The PAD are pushing for No Vote, but their political wing the NPP are standing in the election - so I can see that the police are right to take these signs down, as they haven't been placed by any of the existing parties. If the PAD want signs put up, maybe they need to break from the NPP? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

To National Police Spoke Person and PiSek and all other politicians involved:

you do read Thai, don't you?

well, even if you don't read Thai, you still can see, can you not, friends?

open your eyes wide, wider....

is there a political insignia appearing on the upper left hand corner, or not? SEE ATTACHED PIX

pls stop being too bias toward whatever, whoever and whomever....

do not want to call you bunch stupid, apparently you all are not, my friends.

however by virtue of your own statement that those signs were put up by the yellows....

....so I can see that the police are right to take these signs down, as they haven't been placed by any of the existing parties....

perhaps does show only your ignorance but not your stupidity....

the insignia appearing on the upper left hand corner does belong to a current thai political party....

if you are unable to identify which thai political party it belongs to.... just ask thaivisa members....

there are perhaps thousand of farang who would be happy to dig into our thai dictionary and come up with the right and proper thai owner of the insignia.... LOL :Thaiflag:

I am told they belong to the Puea Fa Din Party and are approved as such.

I think these posters are brilliant! Hoping to go out later tonight and steal some for my own personal collection.

I think the Kwai is particularly handsome-

251712_10150629057560710_508210709_19087304_4097684_n.jpg

Tiger is a bit too aggressive, Dog only has one tooth left, Monkey has gone bananas and I haven't seen the monitor lizard yet.

Party On! jap.gif

This is a 2nd Amendment issue... pure and simple!!!

Oopppps.... My Mistake... I confused this with a REAL democracy...

There is NO Freedom of Speech or any other enforced Constitutionally Protected Rights in Thailand.

CS

I can't find any "2nd Amendment" in the constitution of Thailand. Read it here; English translation here. You'll be surprised to find how much there is in there about freedom and individual rights. Thailand does have laws, though, that do not allow everybody to go and put up posters anywhere advertising their opinions without permission, unlike perhaps in your unnamed country with a 2nd Amendment. Nothing wrong, however, with arranging your opinion to be placarded on a licensed advertising space in Thailand, I'm sure.

Police ask BMA to remove PAD’s ‘vote-no’ posters

BANGKOK, 6 June 2011 (NNT) – The National Police Bureau has asked the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to have all the ‘vote no’ posters of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) removed from the streets.

National Police Spokesperson Police Major General Prawut Thavornsiri stated that the BMA have the authority to remove ‘vote no’ posters from streets under the Cleanliness Act and the Advertisement Billboards Act since such posters are not for election campaigns.

The vote-no posters raised by the PAD features animals such as buffalo, monitor lizard, dog, monkey and tiger wearing suits similar to humans. The posters encourage people to vote no in the upcoming 3 July general election and tell people not to let ‘animals’ go into Parliament.

nntlogo.jpg

monopoly revamped with more interesting items than a boot, top hat etc Love this to bits as it can only happen here.

Anyone got any swaps? This makes football cards a thing of the past but must say very light on the ground up here in Changers

Well, if it is the case as you insinuate that these are NPP posters, not PAD ones, then the NPP should be getting the National Police Bureau to reverse their request to BMA.

Bit hard to see form the posted image but it doesn't look like the NPP emblem:

post-32254-0-63252700-1307341214_thumb.p

Then why does it state---easily seen---''Peoples Politics Party''-------I can see it easy enough---even without my glasses!!!!!!

Well, if it is the case as you insinuate that these are NPP posters, not PAD ones, then the NPP should be getting the National Police Bureau to reverse their request to BMA.

Bit hard to see form the posted image but it doesn't look like the NPP emblem:

post-32254-0-63252700-1307341214_thumb.p

Then why does it state---easily seen---''Peoples Politics Party''-------I can see it easy enough---even without my glasses!!!!!!

Use your glasses. It says "New Politics Party". :lol:

I think these posters are brilliant! Hoping to go out later tonight and steal some for my own personal collection.

Tiger is a bit too aggressive, Dog only has one tooth left, Monkey has gone bananas and I haven't seen the monitor lizard yet.

Party On! jap.gif

One hell of a handsome buffalo he needs his own website. hellosexybuffallo.com sorry mods but this has had me giggling to pant wetting here ...... feel free to remove and chastise me .... this can only happen here

Police ask BMA to remove PAD’s ‘vote-no’ posters

nntlogo.jpg

blah blah more polotik.... Youth? get a grip on reality son! Got all the youth working it's bottom off here in Changers in the bars and children selling stuff to any passing farang. Red, Yellow, sunset green purple spots shirts you are the same ....... Number 1 first, family second and anything else well look in the distance

Perhaps if the yellow shirts hadn't taken over the airport to have an elected prime minister removed they might have learned the lesson that in an election, the winner is the ONE who has the most votes. They have seen the writing on the walls (no pun intended) that they will lose this election, and they are desperately trying to get the upcoming election cancelled. As despicable as the red shirts have been, at least they weren't behind a coup to remove the prime minister they didn't like.

Perhaps if the yellow shirts hadn't taken over the airport to have an elected prime minister removed they might have learned the lesson that in an election, the winner is the ONE who has the most votes. They have seen the writing on the walls (no pun intended) that they will lose this election, and they are desperately trying to get the upcoming election cancelled. As despicable as the red shirts have been, at least they weren't behind a coup to remove the prime minister they didn't like.

The yellow shirts took over the airport (and government house) to stop the PPP from changing the laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

The courts removed a PM (Samak for having another job while PM) and a party (PPP for electoral fraud).

The winner is the one that can form a coalition of a majority of MPs. That was the PPP initially, when Samak was elected PM, and again when Somchai was elected PM, but then after the PPP was disbanded and the Newin group decided not to join the replacement PPP (PTP), Abhisit was able to get a majority of MPs to support him.

The yellow shirts WILL lose this election. They have decided not to run and are campaigning for a "No Vote".

The Democrats on the other hand, will have a good fight with the PTP, and, IMO, form a coalition government after the election.

The yellow shirts took over the airport (and government house) to stop the PPP from changing the laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

The courts removed a PM (Samak for having another job while PM) and a party (PPP for electoral fraud).

The winner is the one that can form a coalition of a majority of MPs. That was the PPP initially, when Samak was elected PM, and again when Somchai was elected PM, but then after the PPP was disbanded and the Newin group decided not to join the replacement PPP (PTP), Abhisit was able to get a majority of MPs to support him.

The yellow shirts WILL lose this election. They have decided not to run and are campaigning for a "No Vote".

The Democrats on the other hand, will have a good fight with the PTP, and, IMO, form a coalition government after the election.

Facts and figures are easily manipulated into your personal ideals when you want to. Personal egos are what is at stake here and you are getting caught up in the rush

Facts and figures are easily manipulated into your personal ideals when you want to. Personal egos are what is at stake here and you are getting caught up in the rush

Facts and figures are easily ignored when they don't suit your message.

Facts and figures are easily ignored when they don't suit your message.

same same as they say here

Huh? (@ changers remark)

Whybother --- The various charges against Samak did kinda narrow down to "a job" but there were the lies about the job and the cash that really mattered. He was getting 80k a show ... when asked officially about it he lied and said 5k for transportation etc ... He was already in trouble before that. It is always important to remember that while the court decided that Samak was not eligible to be PM when he took the office. He was eligible at the time he was removed and he could have stepped right back in the next day. He no longer had the juice to get the MP's behind him. Probably because Thaksin wanted his Bro-in-law in there ... but other possibilities exist too including the minor coalition parties or PPP factions not giving him their votes.

If I remember right it took 13 days after PPP was disbanded for an election in parliament to elect Abhisit. Anyone that thinks every possible tactic PTP had at their disposal at the time to try and get that post for one of their own ...... Well we know PTP's history and willingness to work with fringe elements is certainly magnitudes higher than any other group... (oops we don't all know that .. it is my opinion and that of many other people)

I think NPP is running several people and Heaven and Earth is only running 1 (there are 2 "yellow shirt parties" H&E is backed by Santi Asoke and is running one candidate because if you don't run in 2 consecutive elections you can be disbanded (if you aren't fielding candidates you aren't a party anyways. (That is why the Dems would have had to contest another election (at least in one constituency had Thaksin been allowed to try and hold another election after the failed one.)

There is no evidence that "the yellow shirts" and certainly none that the Dems were behind any coup. The PAD was running street protests to pressure Thaksin out when the coup happened. The Dems were planning for the next elections. In 2008 it was PPP trying to gather the power in parliament to whitewash Thaksin and change the constitution to do so. The PAD was trying to prevent parliament from meeting to prevent that. The Dems were working on being an effective opposition in any way possible .. including hitting the PPP on Samak and then after Oct 7th Somchai and the police chief and .....

All of this while everyone knew PP would be disbanded as soon as the courts handed down their decision. They had a PPP exec making a payoff on vdo ... everybody was just trying to prevent PPP from pulling off a miracle and clearing Thaksin. People spoke of a "judicial coup" at the time but the evidence against PPP was clear and compelling.

Why Newin switched? All is supposition but I don't think it was arm twisting or a 40Mil baht bribe --- I do think it was a "come to Jesus" meeting (southern US slang for a wake-up call) along with the offer of several powerful portfolios. We can see from recent BJT announcements that they are following the money still --- they stated their goal was to be in the next government and not the opposition no matter who forms the government. Newin wants his folks to have their nose in the trough --- the more MP's he has the more slop they'll get.

Huh? (@ changers remark)

Whybother --- The various charges against Samak did kinda narrow down to "a job" but there were the lies about the job and the cash that really mattered. He was getting 80k a show ... when asked officially about it he lied and said 5k for transportation etc ... He was already in trouble before that. It is always important to remember that while the court decided that Samak was not eligible to be PM when he took the office. He was eligible at the time he was removed and he could have stepped right back in the next day. He no longer had the juice to get the MP's behind him. Probably because Thaksin wanted his Bro-in-law in there ... but other possibilities exist too including the minor coalition parties or PPP factions not giving him their votes.

If I remember right it took 13 days after PPP was disbanded for an election in parliament to elect Abhisit. Anyone that thinks every possible tactic PTP had at their disposal at the time to try and get that post for one of their own ...... Well we know PTP's history and willingness to work with fringe elements is certainly magnitudes higher than any other group... (oops we don't all know that .. it is my opinion and that of many other people)

I think NPP is running several people and Heaven and Earth is only running 1 (there are 2 "yellow shirt parties" H&E is backed by Santi Asoke and is running one candidate because if you don't run in 2 consecutive elections you can be disbanded (if you aren't fielding candidates you aren't a party anyways. (That is why the Dems would have had to contest another election (at least in one constituency had Thaksin been allowed to try and hold another election after the failed one.)

There is no evidence that "the yellow shirts" and certainly none that the Dems were behind any coup. The PAD was running street protests to pressure Thaksin out when the coup happened. The Dems were planning for the next elections. In 2008 it was PPP trying to gather the power in parliament to whitewash Thaksin and change the constitution to do so. The PAD was trying to prevent parliament from meeting to prevent that. The Dems were working on being an effective opposition in any way possible .. including hitting the PPP on Samak and then after Oct 7th Somchai and the police chief and .....

All of this while everyone knew PP would be disbanded as soon as the courts handed down their decision. They had a PPP exec making a payoff on vdo ... everybody was just trying to prevent PPP from pulling off a miracle and clearing Thaksin. People spoke of a "judicial coup" at the time but the evidence against PPP was clear and compelling.

Why Newin switched? All is supposition but I don't think it was arm twisting or a 40Mil baht bribe --- I do think it was a "come to Jesus" meeting (southern US slang for a wake-up call) along with the offer of several powerful portfolios. We can see from recent BJT announcements that they are following the money still --- they stated their goal was to be in the next government and not the opposition no matter who forms the government. Newin wants his folks to have their nose in the trough --- the more MP's he has the more slop they'll get.

h

what are you on son? @jidinasia Personal egos are what is at stake here and you are getting caught up in the rush

what a reply to none of the above .....

Party On! jap.gif

One hell of a handsome buffalo he needs his own website. hellosexybuffallo.com sorry mods but this has had me giggling to pant wetting here ...... feel free to remove and chastise me .... this can only happen here

Yes ,but he is full of bull shit! While the monkey can precisely throw his excrement at any political adversary at a whim, the buffalo just stands around grazing( status quo ) while the monkey is swinging tree to tree trying to unite this great country.

Is this what you want for a politician? What about PETA? He's covered in leather! Too much baggage and obviously has other things "On his mind".

I too have a dream! That one day all the Thai people will stand behind one leader to bring this country into the 21st century! A vote for monkey is a vote for the future!

I'm not sure what this has to do with the right of the people to bear arms and maintain a well regulated militia.

You are absolutely Right and I Apologize for my own sloppiness...

I obviously meant the FIRST Amendment, the Right covering "Freedom of Speech", as I mentioned later in the post.

I must have been tired or my mind was elsewhere... But really just a stupid mistake on my part.

Thanks for pointing it out!.

CS

I'm not sure what this has to do with the right of the people to bear arms and maintain a well regulated militia.

Is this like shark "Finning"! How is the bear to gather honey or picanic baskets?blink.gif

Personal egos are what is at stake here and you are getting caught up in the rush

Personally I think that the future of Thailand is at stake here.

Egos don't, or shouldn't, come into it - that's why people who post non-facts are cordially corrected by other members. I think there are egos on both sides that are detracting from the provision of the truth. I don't think it's reasonable to slam other posters for clearing up the truth about the last 10 years in this country, because there's a lot of misrepresentation of the truth and it needs to be clarified given there are people still posting untruths years after the event. Some of these people weren't even here then and are just acting on hearsay from a biased, or even uninformed, source.

If you see someone post something that isn't true, why not call them on it rather than challenge their ego?

Oopppps.... My Mistake... I confused this with a REAL democracy...

There is NO Freedom of Speech or any other enforced Constitutionally Protected Rights in Thailand.

CS

I can't find any "2nd Amendment" in the constitution of Thailand. Read it here; English translation here. You'll be surprised to find how much there is in there about freedom and individual rights. Thailand does have laws, though, that do not allow everybody to go and put up posters anywhere advertising their opinions without permission, unlike perhaps in your unnamed country with a 2nd Amendment. Nothing wrong, however, with arranging your opinion to be placarded on a licensed advertising space in Thailand, I'm sure.

As another Member pointed out to me, I inaccurately refereed to the 2nd Amendment when I was obviously referring to the FIRST!... My error.

The Country in Question is the USA, and the Amendment is to the "Bill of Rights" which is part of the US Constitution.

And the point of my post was to draw attention to the Lack of ENFORCEMENT of ANY Right in the Thai Constitution... If any 'Rights' Exist... which, in Thailand DO NOT include the Right to FREEDOM OF SPEECH!... and how far from a 'Real' Democracy this country is!

CS

Huh? (@ changers remark)

A Very Clear and Concise presentation of the Historical FACTS. :clap2:

CS

“Vote No” Campaign Moving On

The People's Alliance for Democracy network in various provinces continues to push ahead the “Vote No” campaign while calling for the public to abstain votes in the upcoming poll with the aim to reform politics.

The “Vote No” campaign by supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, in the northeastern province of Surin continues with distribution of leaflets that read “Don't let animals into Parliament.”

The campaign, intended to persuade people to refrain from voting or to vote No, also featured a huge sign calling for political reforms and barring of ill-intentioned MPs from gaining power.

Yesterday, the PAD movement in Trang Province, led by academics and PAD core figures from Bangkok, including Pipob Thongchai, Somkiat Phongpaiboon, Prayoon Akharabavornand Jamroon Na Ranong, hit the streets to raise public awareness about the “Vote No” campaign.

The event drew attention of both local residents and visitors.

The PAD plans to hold daily activities around the country until the election day.

It disclosed that next, a stage will be set up at Wat Mongkol Mingmuang in Klongkhud Subdistrict in Muang District, Satun.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-07

footer_n.gif

Once again. Only in Thailand.

A living breathing political party campaigning for people to vote "no". Why didn't they just name themselves the "no" party. But then again, to advertise for people to not exercise their free will, could only work as a concept in this crazy country.

How does one vote "no" anyway? I don't think there is a "none of the above" line, Thai people legally have to vote, it is illegal to spoil your ballot (at least last I heard), so isn't campaigning to vote no, inciting people to break the law?????

A living breathing political party campaigning for people to vote "no". Why didn't they just name themselves the "no" party. But then again, to advertise for people to not exercise their free will, could only work as a concept in this crazy country.

How does one vote "no" anyway? I don't think there is a "none of the above" line, Thai people legally have to vote, it is illegal to spoil your ballot (at least last I heard), so isn't campaigning to vote no, inciting people to break the law?????

Apparently there IS a "none of the above" line.

Voting is compulsory.

Voting FOR someone is not. (and it shouldn't be! --- if no candidate/party reflects your view then a "no" vote (note that is voting!) is very democratic (as would be a "write-in" vote

Voting is compulsory.

Voting FOR someone is not. (and it shouldn't be! --- if no candidate/party reflects your view then a "no" vote (note that is voting!) is very democratic (as would be a "write-in" vote

I wasn't aware that there is a none of the above on the ballot in Thailand. If so, I stand corrected, and more surprising that more people don't use this right anyway.

It is a democratic right to vote no, but then I don't necessarily agree that it should be compulsory to vote. I could see the PAD/Heaven and Earth party claiming that they won the election, if the amount of NO votes made 50.1% LOL

Imagine what it would do for vote rigging, if you didn't even have to go? Maybe they should look at this as a way of reducing vote buying. Or maybe, it would increase it because they would have to pay more to make you go?

I wasn't aware that there is a none of the above on the ballot in Thailand. If so, I stand corrected, and more surprising that more people don't use this right anyway.

It is a democratic right to vote no, but then I don't necessarily agree that it should be compulsory to vote. I could see the PAD/Heaven and Earth party claiming that they won the election, if the amount of NO votes made 50.1% LOL

Imagine what it would do for vote rigging, if you didn't even have to go? Maybe they should look at this as a way of reducing vote buying. Or maybe, it would increase it because they would have to pay more to make you go?

You might want to go back and look at the nullified last TRT/Thaksin election. The Dems ran a "No-Vote" campaign that caused the election to be nullified. (under the 20% rule)

Compulsory voting is something I approve of, in that I feel (note the word "feel") that it is every citizen's duty to vote in a democracy. I wish my country had it.

You might want to go back and look at the nullified last TRT/Thaksin election. The Dems ran a "No-Vote" campaign that caused the election to be nullified. (under the 20% rule)

Compulsory voting is something I approve of, in that I feel (note the word "feel") that it is every citizen's duty to vote in a democracy. I wish my country had it.

I think the Dems chose not to compete which is slightly different from encouraging people to vote no. Interestingly, despite it apparently being compulsory to vote, people in Thailand get punished for spoiling their votes far more frequently than not bothering to vote at all :blink: What was the total turnout for that election? I have never seen a figure.

As for compulsory on non-compulsory, I don't mind whether they have it or not to a great extent. I don't think it is that much of an imposition to have to vote, but, I simply think that it is a right not to bother to vote too. Of course, this gets taken to the nth degree in Thailand when my wife had to return 3 times to vote because of the plethora of yellow and red cards handed out in her home province, or the holidays and general exodus that occurs in Thailand. The whole process turns into a pilgrimage more than a vote.

As an aside, why PTP doesn't encourage more of its voters to vote in the provinces in which they reside for work (which as I understand is perfectly legal, but requires some paperwork), I will never understand. Instead of winning by 85% to 15% in Isaan, all they have to do is register 50.1 in Isaan and 50.1% in Bangkok and they would have a landslide.

Maybe it should be non-compulsory, until voter turn out drops to below 65%

Edited by Thai at Heart