Anyone Purchased An Htc Android Phone Recently?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved from the Pattaya forum, so poster would probably look for places in Pattaya.

FWIW, I bought a HTC Android (the original, non-HD non-Z AMOLED) just over a year ago. At the time I looked everywhere in Pattaya for it but was unable to find it in any of the places usually selling HTC phones - Sony shop Tukcom ground floor, Jay phone (Central or Big C) - so ended up buying one from a Thai online shop called Bask1 at a healthy discount under the RRP.

I've been happy enough with it, but still, if I had to buy a new phone today I'd probably look at one of the new Samsung phones rather than another HTC phone. Just a matter of technical specifications, price and Android implementation.

Love my HTC Desire (standard not HD). Love the Android OS and its openess (i.e., your not Steve's "rhymes with rich"). Bought mine at Jay Mart at Central Beach...but HTC phones are available everywhere now...all the latest models are available at Tuk Com. If money is no object, go for the new Sensation...if you want the biggest screen...then the Desire HD is still the biggest (but slightly better CPU and memory specs on Sensation).

The HTC Sense implementation on the newest models have some spiffy new features too...like free phone tracking if you loose your phone somewhere and remote-wipe if it's stolen.

If money is an object, the Wildfire is a nice phone at a good price

Edited by FarangBuddha

Bought a Wildfire from the Sony shop ground floor in Tuk Com.

Very pleased with it and chose it mainly cos of it's physical size over

all the other models available.

Also they've recently reduced the price by 1000bt and are now 7900bt

My son had the Htc android desire for about 6 weeks ,nice phone just sold it to a friend so as to buy the samsung 2 ,more money than sense i say . but must admit it beats my phone ,which actually makes phone calls ,isnt that what they are for? :)

I must admit, I am some sort of a techno freak: I like all kind of gadgets and smart phones are no exception.

So my latest acquisition was a HTC Desire HD and I am thrilled. It can do so many things (not that I need them, but I love them), but to my surprise the thing is also an excellent phone. I paid too much when I bought it, because I couldn't wait. Now it's available at a much lover price.

Among the great things I can do with it:

- watch TV by connecting to my Dreambox (Dreambox Droid)

- chat with friends and family free (WhatsApp)

- takes really good pictures and video clips, which can be sent instantly to other people (or Facebook)

- Formula 1 live timing

- E-Mail (several accounts)

- read my Kindle books

- FM radio

- keep all my passwords organized (SplashID)

and much more

But, as they say, the better is the enemy of the good, so I am waiting now for my Samsung Galaxy S II with the Dual-core processor and the AMOLED display.

I must admit, I am some sort of a techno freak: I like all kind of gadgets and smart phones are no exception.

So my latest acquisition was a HTC Desire HD and I am thrilled. It can do so many things (not that I need them, but I love them), but to my surprise the thing is also an excellent phone. I paid too much when I bought it, because I couldn't wait. Now it's available at a much lover price.

- takes really good pictures and video clips, which can be sent instantly to other people (or Facebook)

- Formula 1 live timing

- read my Kindle books

- FM radio

and much more

But, as they say, the better is the enemy of the good, so I am waiting now for my Samsung Galaxy S II with the Dual-core processor and the AMOLED display.

You forgot read and reply to posts on T-V ;)

Moved from the Pattaya forum, so poster would probably look for places in Pattaya.

FWIW, I bought a HTC Android (the original, non-HD non-Z AMOLED) just over a year ago. At the time I looked everywhere in Pattaya for it but was unable to find it in any of the places usually selling HTC phones - Sony shop Tukcom ground floor, Jay phone (Central or Big C) - so ended up buying one from a Thai online shop called Bask1 at a healthy discount under the RRP.

I've been happy enough with it, but still, if I had to buy a new phone today I'd probably look at one of the new Samsung phones rather than another HTC phone. Just a matter of technical specifications, price and Android implementation.

been going back and forth on upgrading my Desire to either the Samsung GS2 and the HTC Sensation. if you look on paper, the GS2 has the better specs, but after doing my due diligence, i'm pretty sure the Sensation is the one to choose. if you're thinking about upgrading yourself and want to open a dialogue, lemme know.

been going back and forth on upgrading my Desire to either the Samsung GS2 and the HTC Sensation. if you look on paper, the GS2 has the better specs, but after doing my due diligence, i'm pretty sure the Sensation is the one to choose. if you're thinking about upgrading yourself and want to open a dialogue, lemme know.

I've been looking at specs for these two phones also. Seemed to be a toss-up. I like the fact that Samsung makes so much of it's own components. But, I think I'll go with the Sensation, mainly because I've seen numerous customer complaints about Samsung being slow to offer upgrades and bug fixes on previous models in their line.

So, the Sensation was introduced and shown at the Mobile Expo show at Queen Sirikit Center this past weekend. Were they actually selling them, or just taking orders? Is anybody able to find availability of these phones locally yet? I live in Khon Kaen and went to a local HTC dealer yesterday, but I was disappointed with their response. They seemed to not have any definitive information and just gave a seemingly off-the-cuff answer of "we should see them by the end of the month." My present phone is limping, so I want to get it replaced ASAP. Also, I will go out of the country later this month, so I want to purchase and take advantage of the VAT Refund before leaving. I guess what disappointed me most about my local dealer was that I thought they could have made some phone calls to HTC or their supplier, say that a customer wants a Sensation ASAP, how soon can you get us one? But there just seemed to be this attitude of not making any extra effort and telling me "they should be here sometime in the next month . . ."

Anybody that knows of actual availability of the HTC Sensation, please post here:

Store Name

Phone

Website

City

It looks like you can pre-book via DTAC, maybe best to go to a DTAC shop?

From an HTC Press Release from last week:

HTC announcement of dtac joint marketing HTC Sensation best smart phone of HTC of the year suggested retail price of 18,900 baht (including VAT 7% then) with the package GREAT for HTC Sensation by paying more. month will play only 449 Baht DTAC unlimited Internet and 350 minutes free calls per month for 8 months.

For those who book HTC Sensation in Thailand Mobile Expo 2011 Hi-End will receive Charger. And vouchers free call value of 2,000 baht (limited 150 first), free for those who book on June 2, 2554 be added soon voucher free call from DTAC another 1,000 ready for pick up is not over. on July 15, 2554 at the Customer Service, DTAC. Central World class 4.

HTC Sensation operating system for Android 2.3, combined with Sense 3.0 UI comes with a 1.2GHz Dual Core CPU, 4.3-inch display qHD 540x960 pixel resolution Memory 1GB, RAM 768MB, and each camera. network description, express 8 megapixel camera with Dual LED Flash Video capture a maximum resolution of 1080p Full HD.

http://www.touchphoneview.com/news/?p=5133

Just make sure it supports the 3G frequencies you might require.

HTC announcement of dtac joint marketing HTC Sensation best smart phone of HTC of the year suggested retail price of 18,900 baht (including VAT 7% then) with the package GREAT for HTC Sensation by paying more. month will play only 449 Baht DTAC unlimited Internet and 350 minutes free calls per month for 8 months.

For those who book HTC Sensation in Thailand Mobile Expo 2011 Hi-End will receive Charger. And vouchers free call value of 2,000 baht (limited 150 first), free for those who book on June 2, 2554 be added soon voucher free call from DTAC another 1,000 ready for pick up is not over. on July 15, 2554 at the Customer Service, DTAC. Central World class 4.

HTC Sensation operating system for Android 2.3, combined with Sense 3.0 UI comes with a 1.2GHz Dual Core CPU, 4.3-inch display qHD 540x960 pixel resolution Memory 1GB, RAM 768MB, and each camera. network description, express 8 megapixel camera with Dual LED Flash Video capture a maximum resolution of 1080p Full HD.

http://www.touchphoneview.com/news/?p=5133

3G in Thailand...don't make me laugh :(

i have been told that the Sensation will come late June, early July. this came from the HTC dealer on the 2nd floor of Tukcom in Pattaya.

if anyone is into setting your phone to ROOT and enjoy a good custom ROM... Cyanogen just received his GS2. so, it appears the GS2 will get the Cyanogen MOD first. but... HTC has promised to never lock the bootloader on their phones moving forward. CyanogenMOD will be available on the Sensation in no time.

- Formula 1 live timing

- read my Kindle books

- FM radio

and much more

Thanks, FarangBuddha.

I bought it at the HTC shop at The Mall Bangkapi. The price I paid then is no longer applicable, so I didn't mention it. Anyway, prices probably still change depending on time and place. I did get a free 32 GB MicroSD card for free, though.

One important news, however, is that just now Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has been released for the HTC Desire HD. (Not for the HT Desire, though). I updated my phone already, no problems. Now I try to see what's new and how it works.

- Formula 1 live timing

- read my Kindle books

- FM radio

and much more

Thanks, FarangBuddha.

I bought it at the HTC shop at The Mall Bangkapi. The price I paid then is no longer applicable, so I didn't mention it. Anyway, prices probably still change depending on time and place. I did get a free 32 GB MicroSD card for free, though.

One important news, however, is that just now Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has been released for the HTC Desire HD. (Not for the HT Desire, though). I updated my phone already, no problems. Now I try to see what's new and how it works.

Have fun...I'm envious of your gingerbread...I'm still eating froyo :'(

I've been looking at specs for these two phones also. Seemed to be a toss-up.

Doesn't seem like a toss-up based on this side-by-side:

I bought a HTC Desire HD in January for a 22.000 baht. I'm very happy with the device, so powerful!

The only down is that after 5 months I could buy the same smartphone for 16.000 :lol:

haha... my HD7 also drop the price right after i bought it here in Krabi. anyways, am getting my Sensation tomorrow, just ordered one from Bangkok Shop at 18,800baht. will let you know about this new toy soon after i play around with it.

Edited by hellracer

I bought a HTC Desire HD in January for a 22.000 baht. I'm very happy with the device, so powerful!

The only down is that after 5 months I could buy the same smartphone for 16.000 :lol:

haha... my HD7 also drop the price right after i bought it here in Krabi. anyways, am getting my Sensation tomorrow, just ordered one from Bangkok Shop at 18,800baht. will let you know about this new toy soon after i play around with it.

What shop did you order the Sensation from? They have them in stock now?

• 2 weeks later...

i was at the mobile expo and ordered an HTC Sensation despite the better benchmark performance of the Samsung. Having used HTC since the days of dopod i can't get my head around touchwiz on a friend's Ace/Cooper so decided to stick with the HTC.

I checked out working models of both and didn't like the light plastic feel of the Samsung but did like the screen. The HTC felt good in the hand and despite never using android (yup been on HD2 waiting for incoming HTCs to slowdown) was intuitive except for exiting programs.

I was told the Sensation should be here mid-July for 18,900 baht. The guy spoke excellent English and can be reached on [email protected] and works at HTC Fortune Tower as Senior Manager

What shop did you order the Sensation from? They have them in stock now?

I bought an HTC Desire S a couple of weeks ago after reluctantly deciding not to import my first choice, the Motorola Atrix. Paid 15 Large at Paragon and, so far, am utterly delighted.

Switched from Nokia N86 out of sheer frustration - crappy processor, rubbish RAM and the living nightmare that is OVI/PC Suite. As if I really want to install yet another mickey mouse proprietary application to play videos and view photos on my computer. :bah:

• 4 weeks later...

Spoke to Dtac and they said they have no 449 Baht promotion, the one described is 649 baht. do you have a link to that package?

They also said next month (not sure when) their 3G service would be available for trial, for customers, around the Siam area.

The 3G specs for HTC are:

HSPA/WCDMA: 850/AWS/2100 MHz

and for Samsung are:

3G 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

These are from the tohome web site so granted they could be wrong.

Two questions:

1. What is AWS listed for HTC.

2. Isn't Samsung a better bet for Thailand's totally as yet unpredictable 3G plan as it covers all bases with these frequencies? If so why doesn't HTC do likewise?

Aprreicate any feedback.

Better screen on Samsung...better build quality and overlay interface on HTC. It's a difficult decision.

and for Samsung are:

3G 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

Two questions:

2. Isn't Samsung a better bet for Thailand's totally as yet unpredictable 3G plan as it covers all bases with these frequencies? If so why doesn't HTC do likewise?

Aprreicate any feedback.

and for Samsung are:

3G 850/900/1900/2100 MHz

Two questions:

Aprreicate any feedback.

Manufacturers like Samsung, HTC, LG etc. make different models for different markets. Typically the model name may be different, or the actual case, UI and user's guide. Even the 3G radios can be different. AWS typically refers to a CDMA 3G network, nowadays T-Mobile in the U.S.

The localized (here in Thailand) Sensation, Desire S and Wildefire S all support 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G, so Truemove/Realmove H, DTAC and TOT/MVNOs.

Other than the iPhone, and some Nokia models (like the N8), most widely available models here are either 850/1900/2100 or 900/1900/2100. Some say the SGS2 supports 850/900/1900/2100, however there are two separate models being marketed here: i9100 (900/1900/2100) and i9100T (850/1900/2100), so it is still not clear if the SGS2 models actually support all four 3G bands.

If you think AIS will remain viable, then maybe go with 900 Mhz; it not, go with 850 Mhz. You can always use 1900/2100. This assumes you have, or may have, 3G coverage.

I see the Dtac website is now running the 449 baht promotion if you view the Thai page however it is a non-clickable image and has no real detail as to whether you can add the package later or have to obtain with phone.

Picked up my Sensation 17,900 from Pinklao (courtesy of prebooking at Mobile Expo) and 2,000 worth of vouchers that have to be used 500 at a time before year's end.... but because i pay automatically by credit card they can't/won't accept them! Also free car charger, SD card 8GB, paper speaker and Panda Antivirus (no i don't know either)

Sensation is a great phone (admittedly coming from winmo 6.5 my opinion may be invalid) with Sense 3.0 and ease of use really well thought out.

FB for Android and Skype for Android are slightly poorer than the iPhone 4 (no push notifications and no video on Sensation respectively) counterparts but text to speech in SMS/Email and flash in browser is quite awesome.

I just picked up an HTC Sensation yesterday (S-OFF'd and rooted already with Leedroid custom ROM). while i came from an HTC Desire, i really thought long and hard about moving to Samsung GS2, but after looking and researching both, i was taken over by the build quality of the Sensation.

just another mention to CyanogenMod... they will be releasing CM7 for the Sensation very shortly now that S-OFF has been accomplished.

compared to my HTC Desire, this Sensation is a monster. i can actually read the screen in the sun! camera is so much better, video does 1080p. storage is no longer an issue. cases are already available.

and to Phil... the battery? hmpf, i dunno man. it would seem that as the phones get more powerful, the battery just stays the same. i have to give this a week for the phone/battery to figure out my routine (if you will) before i judge. i'll let you know my results after that time. pretty sure we're still in for charging.

the only way to save battery is to stop using it. sidenote, you can get (2) 1900mAh now for $22.