Anyone Purchased An Htc Android Phone Recently?

the only way to save battery is to stop using it. sidenote, you can get (2) 1900mAh now for $22.

That's pretty cool, but do you think they will ship to Thailand?

I didn't find any for HTC Desire, only Desire S/Z/HD. Strange considering it was one of the most popular models.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using a HTC HD7 with WindowsPhone with Win 7.0. Working and looking great. The tile design looks less chaotic than Anroid.

Only Whatsapp no yet available.

I think it's available for around 14k bht new!

and to Phil... the battery? hmpf, i dunno man. it would seem that as the phones get more powerful, the battery just stays the same. i have to give this a week for the phone/battery to figure out my routine (if you will) before i judge. i'll let you know my results after that time. pretty sure we're still in for charging.

the only way to save battery is to stop using it. sidenote, you can get (2) 1900mAh now for $22.

admittedly I'm still testing what works and downloading quite a bit but this phone seems to be really sucking up battery life. I'm only getting 3/4 of a day and overnight losing 20% through wifi and autosync but no screen usage!

Checking: Settings > About Phone > Battery > What's been using the battery ... shows 4:30 hours of battery time 54% Display, 15% Standby, 13% Idle, 7% Wifi, 3% Maps (must be auto syncing) 3# voice calls and 1% Bluetooth which has sucked 35% of battery.

will look in the HTC Accessories Shop opposite Tokyu in MBK on Tuesday and see if they have the extended batteries.

From HTCPEDIA.COM: Well if you didn't check the page yesterday or haven't heard by now Revolutionary is the new S-OFF and Recovery Tool made by Unrevoked and AlphaRev the teams combine together to bring one great REVOLUTIONARY thing.

Supported Devices:

• Evo 3D [NAND unlock]
  • Sensation [NAND unlock]
  • View
  • Flyer
  • Desire S
  • Droid Inc 2
  • Aria
  • Desire [CDMA & GSM]
  • Wildfire
  • Incredible S

This Tool gives you full Access to your phone to load custom ROMs, its in a early stage mostly meant for Devs but that doesn't mean you cant give it a shot if you want, just know it will come with some bugs. So head on over to Revolution.io and read up and give it a shot if you want.

Edited by 2unique

I just ordered 2 spare batteries and a charger on Ebay for $15 incl. shipment. I think that ought to take care of my battery problems. I had to look for HTC Desire Bravo A8181 to find it, in case anyone else is in the same situation.

@Moo9 - You can skin Android to look like WinMo if you like that interface.

Sensation is a great phone (admittedly coming from winmo 6.5 my opinion may be invalid) with Sense 3.0 and ease of use really well thought out.

I'm thinking of changing from an HTC WM6.5 phone to a Sensation. Just worried, despite all the ease of use advantages with Android, I'll be without some of my favorite old WM6.5 programs. GarminXT for one and the ease of use of Active Syncing all my contacts and emails with a Win7 PC.

How did you find the change from WM6.5 to Android? Any major disadvantages?

I didn't find any for HTC Desire, only Desire S/Z/HD. Strange considering it was one of the most popular models.

doh! they raised the price since yesterday??? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058SK7YS. this is why i dislike Amazon. you aren't eBay, stop acting like it. grrr...

doh! they raised the price since yesterday??? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058SK7YS. this is why i dislike Amazon. you aren't eBay, stop acting like it. grrr...

Yeah, Amazon, everybody raves about them and the sky seems to be the limit WRT their stock price. Have you see their PE now? Closing in on 100 !

Sensation is a great phone (admittedly coming from winmo 6.5 my opinion may be invalid) with Sense 3.0 and ease of use really well thought out.

I'm thinking of changing from an HTC WM6.5 phone to a Sensation. Just worried, despite all the ease of use advantages with Android, I'll be without some of my favorite old WM6.5 programs. GarminXT for one and the ease of use of Active Syncing all my contacts and emails with a Win7 PC.

How did you find the change from WM6.5 to Android? Any major disadvantages?

I would definitely make the trade up - I wanted to for a while but thought I'd wait for a dual core.

Things i miss MobiReader, Xtraxt, Chuzzle and great battery however I've downloaded Coolreader and there are more and more Android apps coming on with nothing new planned for 6.5

Locations (based on google maps) takes care of the need for Garmin XT and you should receive a free voucher for it when you buy to get the turn by turn navigation.

The new HTC Sync means you can sync with Outlook however I turned all my contacts into Google ones and now they auto sync with my gmail.

Things you'll gain:

Facebook for Android - upgrades your calendar and contacts

Skype - modded version has video calling

WhatsApp - SMS for free

Speech to Text - very good for responding to SMSes and/or email when driving.

Customisable Screens

Better Calendar, Email, Browser (with Flash) and Weather apps

Hootsuite multi twitter client

Folders on homescreens

App Store

and speed glorious speed :)

Thanks for feedback... looks like I will have to buy one, amazing to think I spent 32,000THB on a HTC Touch Pro 2 just a couple yrs ago! This thing seems cheap by comparison..

Funny you mention it. I was just cleaning up in some papers the other day and found a receipt for a laptop bought 6 years ago. 48,000 baht for an Acer laptop with an Intel 1.6GHz (single core) processor, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD. Now you can get a whole range of laptops under 20,000 baht with quad core processors, 4GB RAM, 600 GB HD.

I bought an HTC Desire S a couple of weeks ago after reluctantly deciding not to import my first choice, the Motorola Atrix. Paid 15 Large at Paragon and, so far, am utterly delighted.

Switched from Nokia N86 out of sheer frustration - crappy processor, rubbish RAM and the living nightmare that is OVI/PC Suite. As if I really want to install yet another mickey mouse proprietary application to play videos and view photos on my computer. :bah:

Imagine how gutted I was upon seeing the Motorola Atrix being sold at Fortune Town at the weekend. 18,900bt. :realangry:

28,000 baht for an HD2 but can't complain about the phone with all the custom ROMs available - even if devs had carried on making apps I was always going to switch to either WP7 or Android. Every time a phone came out I thought this is the one but then there was always a better one just 2 or so months away (HTC really been churning them out)

Starting to work out where the battery drains are and getting through the day now

HTC Sensation: assault on battery

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/TelecomTech/7757

Edited by 2unique

been going back and forth on upgrading my Desire to either the Samsung GS2 and the HTC Sensation. if you look on paper, the GS2 has the better specs, but after doing my due diligence, i'm pretty sure the Sensation is the one to choose. if you're thinking about upgrading yourself and want to open a dialogue, lemme know.

I've been looking at specs for these two phones also. Seemed to be a toss-up.

Doesn't seem like a toss-up based on this side-by-side:

Good lord, 5 Minutes in and he hasn't done anything with either of these phones. Except taken the back cover off! Who cares about all those tech specs - show me what I can do with it?!

Good lord, 5 Minutes in and he hasn't done anything with either of these phones. Except taken the back cover off! Who cares about all those tech specs - show me what I can do with it?!

Typically these types of reviews are meant to be comprehensive and all-inclusive, addressing a broad audience.

You do know you can use the slider bar to advance (fast-forward just like on your Betamax) the video. :rolleyes:

I assume you're just kvetching. :whistling:

Typically these types of reviews are meant to be comprehensive and all-inclusive, addressing a broad audience.

You do know you can use the slider bar to advance (fast-forward just like on your Betamax) the video. :rolleyes:

I assume you're just kvetching. :whistling:

I am more of a comparison table kind of person myself as my internet isn't always good enough to spend downloading a youtube video I may or may not find informative:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-sensation-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-comparison-table/

I am more of a comparison table kind of person myself as my internet isn't always good enough to spend downloading a youtube video I may or may not find informative:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-sensation-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-comparison-table/

If that's your only option then a comparison table is fine. I would submit that, on an important purchase like a smartphone, the display characteristics are ultra important. After all you will be spending a lot of time looking at it. The devices under discussion in this thread have different displays, perhaps each with positive attributes, but it may be a good idea to see what those look like in real life? Often they highlight the specification differences, like in your linked table, in these videos.

I am not bandwidth limited and find these Youtube videos (reviews, modding, tweaking) highly valuable; I imagine most do. I might look for video reviews after examining the specifications, as another step in the evaluation process.

Doesn't seem like a toss-up based on this side-by-side:

From all I've read on the net the Galaxy S2 wins Vs the Sensation. I am an HTC user now, but thinking I might buy a Samsung next?

I agree with that sentiment however once I held both (admittedly not side by side as they were on opposite sides of the EXPO) the Samsung just felt so cheap in the hand. Plus for me HTC Sense makes using phones so much easier. I knew in my day to day use the speed of the Samsung and the better screen wasn't going to be an issue. The better resolution of the qhd screen for email, sms, football site reading would.

As an aside video calling on Skype is now available on both.

the Samsung just felt so cheap in the hand.

As you can see in the comparison chart, the SGS2 is significantly lighter and thinner than the HTC Sensation. So clearly a trade-off with materials used and perceived "feel". I've seen some older mobile phone design focus group studies and "feel" (weight, heft, solid, perceived durability) is a more important factor for Western consumers (U.S./U.K./Europe). Whereas many other markets prefer a sleek design, as thin and light as possible. I think either model will break if dropped from a normal height onto a hard surface, but if want to carry around a heftier device you have that option with HTC.

I think most prefer the super AMOLED screen, but the LCD screen does offer high resolution. I'm honestly not sure how important that higher resolution is on a 4.x" screen on a hand-held device. But the important thing is to try to use both phones in a variety of applications and environments. This can be challenging here when you rarely can even find a working model in a shop. So short of finding someone who has one and will let you play with it, the videos may serve a purpose?

I can't comment on the various manufacturer's UI's (Is it TouchWIz 4.0 and Sense?) as I use a custom ROM on my SGSold device. Some love these UI's, some hate them; some custom ROMs incorporate some of their features. But yes, unless you want to go down the custom ROM path (dangerous but alluring) you should make sure you like the device's UI as you will be living with it for a while. Again, you can find Youtube videos demonstrating the different UI's, so maybe easier to narrow your selection to a specific manufacturer?

Edited by lomatopo

Looks likes I'll bite the bullet and forgo a HTC Sense enabled Sensation for a Galaxy 2 that takes better photos. I have already spent two yrs with an HTC phone that has a poor camera, enough is enough.

SG2 does have a very good camera.

I am on the fence on which one to go with. I have had BB products for nearly 8 years now(only because company supplied it). I recently decided to retire early and realized the BB is a dated device, even the Torch. Anyway I have played a bit with both at a few Central malls where they have working models. Of course very hard to play with them as they are not set up to your liking and your app uses. Very basic. One thing I will miss switching is the side quick keys to access contact list and camera. Those are very convenient. Of course with time I will adapt as we all do. I am not biased to either manufacturers. The HTC Sensation does have a better feel. It is contoured to feel better resting in your hand and offers better ergonomics when emailing on messaging. I message and email with one hand so this is important to me. I really did not notice a weight difference quite honestly. The S2 is very much like a rectangle iPhone. Not bad , just saying. Both function very well and you will not be disappointed whichever route you go.

My larger concern is what provider to use here. I currently live in BKK and use AIS. I have been very happy with AIS with my BB. However some have said to switch to Dtac if I go with the Sensation or S2. I used Dtac 2 years ago here and it was pretty bad and switched to AIS and have used since.

Any real world feedback on Dtac Vs AIS with these phones would be greatly appreciated. I have read all the service provider hype, now want to hear from users with these phones.

Thanks

My larger concern is what provider to use here. I currently live in BKK and use AIS. I have been very happy with AIS with my BB. However some have said to switch to Dtac if I go with the Sensation or S2. I used Dtac 2 years ago here and it was pretty bad and switched to AIS and have used since.

Any real world feedback on Dtac Vs AIS with these phones would be greatly appreciated. I have read all the service provider hype, now want to hear from users with these phones.

Thanks

Do you plan to use 3G?

If so you should make sure that your phone supports the 3G frequencies of your desired service provider.

AIS did just launch 3G on 900 Mhz in many cities. You can review their coverage maps on their website or in one the many threads here.

True offer 3G on 850 Mhz in metro-Bangkok and a few other locations. They are expected to expand that coverage nationally.

DTAC is expected to launch 3G services on ~400 base-stations in metro-Bangkok next week; any larger expansion is currently on hold.

It looks like the HTC Sensation supports 850/1900/2100, while the SGS2 comes in two versions locally: i9100 for AIS and i9100T for True/DTAC.

Thanks

Do you plan to use 3G?

If so you should make sure that your phone supports the 3G frequencies of your desired service provider.

AIS did just launch 3G on 900 Mhz in many cities. You can review their coverage maps on their website or in one the many threads here.

True offer 3G on 850 Mhz in metro-Bangkok and a few other locations. They are expected to expand that coverage nationally.

DTAC is expected to launch 3G services on ~400 base-stations in metro-Bangkok next week; any larger expansion is currently on hold.

It looks like the HTC Sensation supports 850/1900/2100, while the SGS2 comes in two versions locally: i9100 for AIS and i9100T for True/DTAC.

Thanks for response.

Yes on 3G. I did check the map and have read the myriad of threads but as you know it is the providers info. I was hoping to get some real users to offer feedback who are using the phones and how they feel about it. To me that is the most valuable feedback.

Thanks for response.

Yes on 3G. I did check the map and have read the myriad of threads but as you know it is the providers info. I was hoping to get some real users to offer feedback who are using the phones and how they feel about it. To me that is the most valuable feedback.

Well AIS just launched their service last week so feedback is a bit limited. However the initial response seems to be overwhelmingly positive.

DTAC has not yet launched their service so no real-word feedback available.

True have offered 3G on 850 Mhz for ~ 2 years and the feedback on their service has also been positive. They offer coverage in metro-Bangkok and select other cities in Thailand. They are expanding their 3G network in Bangkok currently.

Just to sound like a broken record: make sure your desired phone will work wit your preferred network.

Edited by lomatopo

Just to sound like a broken record: make sure your desired phone will work wit your preferred network.

This post http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4612553 says the S2 will run on any of the 3G services? Is this not the case?

I was unaware that Thailand had provider specific phones? Can someone elaborate? Or should it be interpreted that it is the service and what the phone is rated at in the coverage, i.e. 850, 900 etc>

I have been told that the sensation will be G2 in areas where G3 is not available but will cycle to 3G when available.

This post http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4612553 says the S2 will run on any of the 3G services? Is this not the case?

I was unaware that Thailand had provider specific phones? Can someone elaborate? Or should it be interpreted that it is the service and what the phone is rated at in the coverage, i.e. 850, 900 etc>

I have been told that the sensation will be G2 in areas where G3 is not available but will cycle to 3G when available.

In this post...

GaryBKK says he bought an HTC Sensation in Singapore recently which supports 900 Mhz 3G, which would work on AIS here. I assume it would not work on True or DTAC.

Thailand doesn't have provider specific phones per se. Service providers support different frequencies for 3G, and not all phones support all 3G frequencies. So it is up to you, the consumer to make sure you get a phone which will work on your preferred network.

AIS 900 Mhz

DTAC 850 Mhz

True 850 Mhz

TOT/MVNOs 2100 Mhz

Some say that the SGS2 can operate on any/all 3G networks even though DTAC and True sell an i9100T mode and AIS sells an i9100 model.

the only phone I bought not to long ago from HTC was actually the Desire HD but then again I had the original htc desire from last year in june but gave it to a friend as a gift since I actually wanted more internal memory and a biger screen to read on. everyone has had different experiences it seems, and while the majority of people don't like customizing their phones I actually enjoy all that android and htc sense has to offer me. my only complaint though is battery life, I have to recharge my phone everyday practically but for everything I enjoy about my phone I will still take it despite the battery life

• 3 months later...