Vegetarian Restaurants In Bangkok?

dotx

Are there any? I don't mean regular restaurants that offer a few vegetarian options on the side. I mean true vegetarian restaurants, where that's the only thing served. In most Asian countries I've visited, they abound. Here, I can't seem to find any! The Chinese usually run mock-meat restaurants in many countries (and they're sooooo goood), but as far as I can tell, not in Bangkok. Am I missing something?

Yes....there is the Santi Asoke (Buddhist sect) restaurant owned by Chamlong Srimuang, ex-mayor / governor (?) of Bangkok. It's near Chatuchak markets. Nearest station is Khampaeng Phet subway station. It's totally vegetarian, and actually very cheap. Delicious buffet-style food.

You go by Skytrain to the terminus at Mo Chit, then take subway one station only ( towards Bang Sue ) to Kampaeng Phet. (or else get on subway at some other station ). At Kampaeng Phet, take exit # 1, and at the top of the escalator, turn right and go back up the road in the opposite direction to the direction in which you were going up the escalator. After about 50 or 100 metres, turn right at Roy Antiques (glass-sided building). About 50 metres up that alley, veer right and you'll see a long building. Go through it about halfway down.Go to the window on your left and buy about 120 baht worth of coupons, which you pay for the meal with. You can refund the unused coupons later.

After the meal, check out the health food store behind the coupon window. And go into the room to the left off that and get a cup of natural ( it's colourful, but no artificial colours ) fruit ice cream from one of the small freezers there. It's delicious. Just use a metal spoon from the restaurant.....the little plastic ones in the bottle on top of the freezer are too small and weak.

It's the only restaurant here which I've seen, where you have to take your used plates/cutlery back to a central point.....good idea !

They're all very friendly people there.

There is also Ethos restaurant in Banglamphu, near Khao San Rd. It's totally veggie, and has EXCELLENT food which is a mixture of Thai and Western. . Really VERY tasty, with all sorts of smoothies etc. I looked pregnant when I last walked out of there....and I'm a tall, usually skinny male.

Edited by Latindancer

The Happy Cow website certainly has a lot of them, though many are listed as "Veg-FRIENDLY". Be aware that Govinda's is Hare Krishna, so has a lot of dairy product in the food.

I would be inclined to phone these places first though, as previously I got some names from Lonely Planet, only to find they were closed / moved. It happens a lot here. Leaving me standing in a soi, very hungry and wondering where to go for lunch/dinner. Just phone first.

Thank you so much (especially Latindancer for the very detailed directions!). I did check Happy Cow, but it seems the listings are outdated. I tried calling two of the phone numbers and they belonged to a completely different place.

ETA: Yeah, places closing/moving was my problem. I guess that's the main reason for asking, so people could maybe point me to a place they KNEW was open.

Edited by dotx

Thank you so much (especially Latindancer for the very detailed directions!). I did check Happy Cow, but it seems the listings are outdated. I tried calling two of the phone numbers and they belonged to a completely different place.

ETA: Yeah, places closing/moving was my problem. I guess that's the main reason for asking, so people could maybe point me to a place they KNEW was open.

Glad to be of assistance.

Do be aware that although places can be now closed, there may be a twist to it. I was in Chiang Mai recently and Lonely Planet gave a great review to a place called Khun Chern. I went to the address supplied but the place wasn't there. dam_n ! Another place closed. A couple of days later I asked my wife to phone them just to check, and it turned out that Lonely Planet had given the wrong address. Double-checking showed that they even had a MAP of it in the wrong soi ! Turned out to be a REALLY great restaurant........they have 100 baht all-you-can-eat lunches on weekdays.

I mention this because the Happy Cow website lists a Khun Chern restaurant in Bangkok. I'll try to check it out soon and report back here.

Happy Cow's listings are not ALL outdated.....just phone them first. For instance, Ethos and May Kaidee's are definitely open, as I went there the other day. And I go to the Santi Asoke place at Kampaeng Phet regularly..........going there today !

Edited by Latindancer

Majority of happy cow listing is accurate. Tried Kwaam imm on sukhumvit 24/1 most recently and it was nice.

Have used that site and been to most of them thanks to it. Calling ahead to most of these kind of normal thai style restaurants is never going to work - its not the done thing.

Bottom of the nasu siri building on ekkamai BTS station has Khun Churn inside- a really very tasty and quite upscale little restaurant as veggie places go. In fact, I just ordered from them 30 mins ago for my lunch.

Edited by OxfordWill

There is a very good Chineses vegie in Yaowarat Road .I have not lived in Bkk. for many years ,so cannot remember its name .It is about midway along Yaowarat. If you ask any shop in Yaowarat, they should know of it. It is on the river side of Yaowarat.

The Vegetarian Foundation Food court and Health Food Store

Chatuchat Market

Tues to Sunday 6am - 12 am

The biggest veggie food court in Bangkok

Mix of Thai and Asian/Chinese dishes

Dishes from 10 to 20 bahts

Mockmeats galore : rosted duck, pork, fake crab meat, shrimps, veggie sausages,fish balls,salt fish, to buy in food court and shop frozen or fresh

Superb fresh beancurd, fresh hand made tofu made by students, free from gmo for 50 bahts a kilo...

Organic shampoo/conditionners for 60 bahts a bottle.

Edited by aneliane

The Bangkok Kuhn Churn does not have the buffet. The menu is similar to Chiang Mai but a lot more expensive. Seems to be higher quality vegetables at the Bangkok restaurant though.

I really like Anotai for good quality but it's difficult to get to.

Aneliane,

The The Vegetarian Foundation Food court and Health Food Store, at Chatuchat Market is the same place as the Santi Asoke restaurant I gave directions to, above.

It's also sometimes called Chamlong's restaurant.

The Happy Cow link to it is here : http://www.happycow....iews.php?id=331

I went there today but it's closed for 3 days, for a special memorial service. This disappointed me, so I went to Ethos and stuffed myself FULL of food :blink:.

And as you mentioned....the Santi Asoke place closed every Monday.

It's open every other day, including Sunday.

Edited by Latindancer

A couple of points:

1. Yes, happycow is an excellent resource for finding vegetarian restaurants.

2. The address given for Khun Chern in CM likely wasn't wrong per se. They moved to their new address within the last two years, so the book was probably just out of date.

3. I've been to Govinda, and to be perfectly honest, I found the food to be less than delicious. And I'm not a picky eater, so I usually am quite happy with whatever is put on my plate...as long as it's vegetarian.

I think Govinda is OK food, it's just really expensive for nothing really that special.

There is nothing I like about Ethos. The food is bland and the name annoys me. The space is dirty, not air conditioned and poorly ventilated. BUT! That's just my opinion, I know some people like it. Go figure!

The vegetarian curry on rice place in the food court of Amarin Plaza has been taken over by new management (or has a new cook) and is less oily and better quality than it used to be. Give it a try.

Edited by ricklev

I think Govinda is OK food, it's just really expensive for nothing really that special.

There is nothing I like about Ethos. The food is bland and the name annoys me. The space is dirty, not air conditioned and poorly ventilated. BUT! That's just my opinion, I know some people like it. Go figure!

The vegetarian curry on rice place in the food court of Amarin Plaza has been taken over by new management (or has a new cook) and is less oily and better quality than it used to be. Give it a try.

ethos is all about the atmosphere, it's just a good place to hang out ...

yet again, why does this thread still languish in general? it seems to quite clearly belong elsewhere.

much like Thailand itself, standards here seem to be entirely arbitrary.

You've been eating too much meat! :D