Bkk Airport Prices...

Erwin1011

I spend a lot of time in airports, waiting for the next flight and developed a new hobby.

I browse around the shops and pick up anything look at the price and then try to find the same thing in a regular shop in Bkk and compare the price differential. Most recently I came onto something so blatant, I actually bought the thing for proof of claim.

A book sold by Asia Book store for THB 350 and sold by King Power for THB 680. They didn't even bother to take the Asia Books price sticker off. that's a whopping 94 % markup ! :o

I've noticed mark ups generally around 50-60% but this one really beats it.

Well, I bought a flask of "Thai Rum" at BKK duty free. the price was way higher than at Carrefour in Pattaya. Turns out, it contained horrible Whiskey instead :--) But compared to other airports, the soft ice at KFC costs in Berlin about 7 times more. BKK is good value - but I wish they would add the THB 500 fee to the ticket like HKG does.

Write and complain to the Airports Authority of Thailand.

Forms available in the Departure/transit/shopping Areas.

You may not get a satisfactory resolution to any direct complaint but they will allways send you a reply and say that they will look into it.. after all its VERY BAD publicity for the Thai Tourist Industry.

I have had quiet a number over the years voicing my concern over crazy exchange rates,Electronic Sales (R.O.prices compared to say MBK)and even the beer prices in the old bar.(they dropped their prices)...not forgetting their smoking policy.......they banned it.. :D:o

White and gold porcelain elephant can be found at the Chatuchak Weekend Market priced at around 750 baht (US $17.85). The exact same item is priced at about US $90 (3780 baht) at the International Airport.

While the quality of items I've looked at are very good, the high prices at the airport are mind-staggering. I guess such fleecing is considered part of the 'Last Chance To Buy Before Exiting The Kingdom'.

Edited by AmeriThai

Staggering differences!! Try simple stuff like chewing gum. 10 baht at 7-11, even before you go through Customs. 50 baht inside and even at some of the little book shops before Customs.

Water inside, 50+ baht last I check for a 7 baht bottle at 7-11

How's that for scary

The only thing worth buying in the Bangkok Airport is the imported booze.

Everything is over priced, as you indicate.

I bought Sony camera for a friend overseas. It cost me 12,900 baht in the

local Sony shop. In the airport the same camera was 14,900 baht. (duty free??)

Edited by astral

I guess we can all agree the airport is more expensive. My favorite example: I'm addicted to SMINTS (only the blue ones). They cost THB 20 in the 7-11 behind my office. At the airport they're THB120.

I don't have a PhD in economics, but that does sound a bit like gouging. Still a true capitalist shouldn't believe in gouging. They're simply charging what the market will allow.

Jim...

The only thing worth buying in the Bangkok Airport is the imported booze.

Everything is over priced, as you indicate.

I bought Sony camera for a friend overseas.  It cost me 12,900 baht in the

local Sony shop.  In the airport the same camera was 14,900 baht.  (duty free??)

Me too! electrical stuff much cheaper in the UK at Dixons!

I'm gonna sound like an old fogey, but at least there is competition now. When I was young (I'm 39), they didn't have McD's and BK and such in airports. You either went to the airport bar/restauant and just gasped at the bill, or you went to whatever passed for a takeaway sandwich bar and paid 9 bucks (20 YEARS AGO) for white bread, wilted lettuce and mystery meat. Those were your only options, I never travelled without my own larder.

As to souvenirs, if you haven't got that sorted by the time you're at the airport, the premium prices are just the penance ya gotta pay.