Invoice And Exise Tax - Bike Imported In Parts

roban

1. invoice = is paid at the customs office, when the Bike parts arrive. Correct?

how is this calculated?

2. exise tax = must be paid, after the Bike is reassembled from the imported parts?

and again, how is this tax calculated?

thanks in advance for clarification.

I was told that if you assemble a motorcycle today you pay 30 percent excise tax (with exception if it's a Triumph Rocket which is 35%) of the new value of your motorcycle as the manufacturing/assembly date is 8 June 2011. Say you bought a 2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 which will cost new 799,000 THB so you pay 30% of that.... (So probably something like 357,761 THB)

The Revenue Department calculate like 799,000 THB X 0.4477612 = 357,761 THB

If you want license plates for your motorcycle do not forget that you also need to pass emission testing (30 to 40,000 THB) and that applying for greenbook (400cc=40,000 THB, 600cc=60,000 THB, 800cc=80,000 THB the information I give is based on personal experience... some people say they paid different numbers... Still its a good idea to keep the numbers in mind)

Also if you assemble a motorcycle from parts, but some parts you bought in Thailand from a Thai supplier... say sprockets, chain and wheels... you will need tax invoices to show that you bought them here.... and tax is paid.

Most of the time a preprinted invoice with a company stamp is not enough, the invoice needs tax number of the supplier...

I did the same with a bike never imported - Indian made Royal Enfield

I provided them with a very thick file showing:

Domestic value when new in 2000

Domestic value of the most recent model of a similar bike as my model is discontinued

Value of the same model in the Indian resale market

A letter in Thai explaining everything so the need to think was minimized

They went with my value

My buddy went through the same procedure with an identical bike, and I provided him with the same info. He choose not to provide the Bureaucrats with the file as "they will just make up their own value anyway".

Apparently the Authorities simply went to the internet and found the resale value of a similar new model in the USA and charged him over 2X what it cost me. Not surprising as the cost in the USA has little bearing on the cost in country or orgin

I was told that if you assemble a motorcycle today you pay 30 percent excise tax (with exception if it's a Triumph Rocket which is 35%) of the new value of your motorcycle as the manufacturing/assembly date is 8 June 2011. Say you bought a 2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000 which will cost new 799,000 THB so you pay 30% of that.... (So probably something like 357,761 THB)

The Revenue Department calculate like 799,000 THB X 0.4477612 = 357,761 THB

If you want license plates for your motorcycle do not forget that you also need to pass emission testing (30 to 40,000 THB) and that applying for greenbook (400cc=40,000 THB, 600cc=60,000 THB, 800cc=80,000 THB the information I give is based on personal experience... some people say they paid different numbers... Still its a good idea to keep the numbers in mind)

yepp, going by the book its 30% excise tax for less than 2000cc and 35% for 2300cc.

New assemble (from parts) is no reduction for age.

Value of bike, they check similar bikes for sale in Internett. All bike transfers at DLT are supposed to be recored with sales amount. If they cant find anything they just pick the most expensive bike with same cc.

However calculation is up to each public employee, and can differ.

Ok, so far so good. I thought, I understand the "system of calculation".

But today, I found

this Ad on TV Classifieds

The seller claims, invoice and exise was paid (29.000BT)

But this seems to be very little money for this Bike.

Fake? Or can somebody explain this?

Imported a harley in parts and paid around 2,000 usd import tax and 45,000 baht in excise.

Jap bikes that I have paid excise 400 to 1000cc, have all been between 10K and 19k

So I really dont know where all these hi figures come from.

But today, I found

Imported a harley in parts and paid around 2,000 usd import tax and 45,000 baht in excise.

Jap bikes that I have paid excise 400 to 1000cc, have all been between 10K and 19k

well HD only

60k importduty is 18k excice on importduty

so bike valued to 90k?

better you show us the import and excice docs

But today, I found

well HD only

60k importduty is 18k excice on importduty

so bike valued to 90k?

better you show us the import and excice docs

so whats it gonna be?

here you say you

"imported a harley as parts",

when I point out importduty and excise is for 90k baht value, you change to

"import frame and engine" only.

It is common among dodgy importers to declare frame and engine only, to reduce duty and excise taxes

well its still calculated on 90k baht value, and all other parts need to be approved by Organised Crime Unit and all Invoices need frame number from donor bike in Thailand, to be approved to make legal registration book. Illegal registration can be done, illegally.

It takes a lot more than excice tax paid to make a bike road legal in Thailand. Like in all other countries.

No wonder you in the "Conficated bikes" thread keep advocating the right to ride in Thailand without plates and book :whistling:

I imported the engine and frame, new frame second hand engine, had my self and three Thai mates hand carry a suit case each of the smaller parts. But these parts weren't used in the build.

Then import paper work put into transport office for intent to build a custom bike in Thailand. Bike was built keeping all receipts for wheels brakes, controls, front end. Which I carry on the bike.

I have passed all paper work requirements to get a green book. Now it's just parting with cash.

I have the import paper from my plated bikes and they only show fame and engine import.

Also the excise prices that are being quoted are wrong. Paid excise on 5 bikes in the last 2 years and is as above.

So carry on making out you know everything. I am sure the newbies eat it up.

I imported the engine and frame, new frame second hand engine, had my self and three Thai mates hand carry a suit case each of the smaller parts. But these parts weren't used in the build.

Then import paper work put into transport office for intent to build a custom bike in Thailand. Bike was built keeping all receipts for wheels brakes, controls, front end. Which I carry on the bike.

I have passed all paper work requirements to get a green book. Now it's just parting with cash.

I have the import paper from my plated bikes and they only show fame and engine import.

Also the excise prices that are being quoted are wrong. Paid excise on 5 bikes in the last 2 years and is as above.

So carry on making out you know everything. I am sure the newbies eat it up.

carry on paying duty and excise tax on "frame and engine" only. carry the rest in suitcases. "paid excise taxes on 5 bikes", "show frame and engine import" only

are you able to see why you pay so little tax?

dodgy docs = dodgy books

This how 99% of all bikes in Thailand have been imported for the last 20 years. Except of course the new big bike dealers. Do you really think people would import a bike if it cost 799k and then another 300 to 400k then emissions and book. You need to talk to some shop owners.

My bikes aren't dodge and have passed many inspections. Yes some are yet to get a book and some have been booked already. At the end of the day you know that money can fix all no matter what law you qoute.

But you will be right cause you know a judge :)

This how 99% of all bikes in Thailand have been imported for the last 20 years. Except of course the new big bike dealers. Do you really think people would import a bike if it cost 799k and then another 300 to 400k then emissions and book. You need to talk to some shop owners.

My bikes aren't dodge and have passed many inspections. Yes some are yet to get a book and some have been booked already. At the end of the day you know that money can fix all no matter what law you qoute.

But you will be right cause you know a judge :)

I dont know a judge, I now several judges, but thats not the topic.

I agree, declaring only frame and engine when importing a complete bike has and still is common. We all know it is illegal and tax avading.

Because of the new big bike dealers, who presently provides +99% of all big bikes sold in Thailand, have united worked with government/DLT and Organised Crime Unit, a new plate law has been introduced to catch all these dodgy bikes. 6 months to five years imprisonment for breach of plate law

Even bikes with green books, excise tax info as stated in page 18 is checked, and if it doesnt ad up, like 45k excise for harley advertised for sale at 600k, owner is scating on thin ice. Every time a big bike not homoleg applies DLT for transfer ownership, Organised Crime unit is notified. Each transfer they are supposed to find online ads for bike, and compare with taxes paid. They even do it on homoleg bikes on occasions

Do you really think competition is fair in Thailand? No, the big boys rule it all. The big boys entered the big bike market only 3 years ago. Yamaha started working the government, then joined Kawasaki, Triumph, Ducati and finally Harley. Today Kawasaki supported by BOI (Board of Investment) is the hardest threat to grey non homoleg big bikes.They are cleaning up the streets.

Sell them while they have any value

I sold 2 bikes I loved, as books/importduty/excisetax simply could not be 100% clean, and got 2 homoleg big bikes when this circus started. 2008.

So you really believe the DLT are letting the us slide on the excise tax :)

My custom was given a intent to build notice and built then excise paid on all parts, as all bars wheels and such bought in thailand I paid tax on all and done in tha last 12 months as well have past three inspecting by the boys in black and DLT one at utradit, one in Khon kaen. One in nongbaulamphu.

Do you really believe that a couple of wheels and levers add up to another 300k.

So really you are telling me every custom bike in Thailand is illegal and will be off the road in the next few years. Not only that you think they will take all part imports of he road. :)

Keep digging

So you really believe the DLT are letting the us slide on the excise tax :)

My custom was given a intent to build notice and built then excise paid on all parts, as all bars wheels and such bought in thailand I paid tax on all and done in tha last 12 months as well have past three inspecting by the boys in black and DLT one at utradit, one in Khon kaen. One in nongbaulamphu.

Do you really believe that a couple of wheels and levers add up to another 300k.

So really you are telling me every custom bike in Thailand is illegal and will be off the road in the next few years. Not only that you think they will take all part imports of he road. :)

Keep digging

The bikes with payed import duty and excisetax based on actual import (not only frame and engine) and value will be fine if they also have passed emission for real

• 8 months later...

And while I am at it. The wife tells me my new book and plate just arrived for my bike. And you guessed it had import paper on engine and frame only. smile.gif

because the frame and engine are the only identifyable parts on the bike as they have numbers - all the rest are bits and bobs, if your frame number and engine number line up with the green book then you won't have an issue

• 10 months later...

hi shock treat ment can u send me your email address so i can talk u more in depth about importing thanks willie

Use the PM function, don't post your real email address.

Indeed, it's for your own good, spam robots search the forums all the time harvesting email addresses.

NEED HELP AND ADVICE I WISH 2 IMPORT MY HARLEY FRAME AND MOTOR IN2 THAILAND WHAT DO I NEED 2 DO ?? I WILL IMPORT IN MY GIRLFRIENDS NAME DO I NEED A IMPORTER OR CAN I JST SEND IT ACROSS ON BOAT FROM AUSTRALIA WITH RECIEPT MY GIRLFRIEND BOUGHT BIKE PARTS ANY HELP PLEASE

NEED HELP AND ADVICE I WISH 2 IMPORT MY HARLEY FRAME AND MOTOR IN2 THAILAND WHAT DO I NEED 2 DO ?? I WILL IMPORT IN MY GIRLFRIENDS NAME DO I NEED A IMPORTER OR CAN I JST SEND IT ACROSS ON BOAT FROM AUSTRALIA WITH RECIEPT MY GIRLFRIEND BOUGHT BIKE PARTS ANY HELP PLEASE

Why are you yelling at us? Does your GF have the Oz passport control stamps in the passport which coincide with the dates on the receipt?

no she doesnt althoygh im not a resident in thailand i do rent a home there and im getting married soon so what is the best way 2 import my bike as i will be moving there at end of year full time ive just set up a company and starting a small business soon so i can work and live in thailand as im not a resident what would the best way 2 import coudnt she just say she purchased bike from internet ?? or is there another way as i reallt want take my bike with me thank you and sorry if i was yelling befre i didnt relise that all capitals was yelling