New Sandwich Bar At Mabrachan Resevoir

Digger

Mainly for those living on the east of Sukhumvit, but I got a leaflet through my door for a new sandwich shop of all things opening on the little road up from the resevoir towards Horseshoe Point. Place is called Deli-Bean and on Sunday morning I popped my head in to see what it was like. It was only once I got talking to the owner, that he told me that they were not actually officially open until the next day, but for the last week the staff had been running it as normal and going through training on how to make coffee's, sandwiches etc.

Its located about 600m up from the resevoir on the right hand side and sits outside the Laurel Park housing village. Well I for one was very pleasantly surprised - its small, airconditioned inside with outdoor seating under a big canopy, and I hope for there sakes, that they get some custom - I counted 7 staff all dressed in white shirts, black pants and ties and a green apron. All girls and some rather cute ones at that. English ability is a bit hit and miss though. Helps if you speak Thai, but apparently all the cashiers speak good English but they struggled when I ask for wholemeal bread - urgh they said, oh you mean brown bread. Whatever but they smiled a lot and within couple of minutes I had a tasty sandwich.

For me its great, they sell good coffee freshly grounded and very good sandwiches, but they also sell bread. One thing I always forget is to buy some before I leave BKK on a Friday and then have to go into Pattaya just for some crappy stuff from foodland, or endure the massive queues and parking hassle in Carrefour to get something remotely good.

Got talking to the farang owner and he was saying that from Monday 10th they were going to be stocking a selection of freshly made cakes, danish pastries, muffins and wait for it, scones !!!!!

It reminded me of a decent sandwich bar in London. Service was a bit shaky in so far as they ask you everything you want in the sandwich, down to the type of mayo, ketchup etc but he told me that is because earlier in the week, somebody had asked for a ham and tomato sandwich and ended up with ham and tomato ketchup sandwich. I followed his recomendation and went for a Ham and cheddar cheese toasted sandwich which was delicious. Good cheese, good ham and excellent bread and all for 85 baht. Coffee was also very good and I thought very reasonably priced at 50 baht for a mug of freshly brewed coffee. They also had turkey sandwiches on the menu which is something I have never seen before either in BKK or Pattaya.

For those that live around there this will I think make a nice change from having to go into Pattaya just to get something decent to eat. Worth a try in my opinion.

For those that live around there this will I think make a nice change from having to go into Pattaya just to get something decent to eat.  Worth a try in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip Digger... :o

Even somewhere out of the way like this place would be nice to visit if the quality and variety of food is as good as you say it is.

:D

For those that live around there this will I think make a nice change from having to go into Pattaya just to get something decent to eat.   Worth a try in my opinion.

:

Even somewhere out of the way like this place would be nice to visit if the quality and variety of food is as good as you say it is.

:o

The menu I must say was not that extensive - seems like they just stick with a core set of ingrediants, ham, cheddar, turkey, chicken + couple of others but cant remember what they were and then customise it to whatever the customer wants. They offered me 3 types of mustard to go with the ham & cheese sandwich - english, french and American - bit like subway without the plastic feeling but the bread is a lot better and from the taste of it, so are the ingrediants.

My fear would be that the place bombs as there is not exactly passing trade and I have to go back into Pattaya to get some bread.

had a quick look for it on my way home but couldn't find it,which is a shame cos I'd talked myself into a nice sarnie.

Where is Laurel Park

Going up from Sukhumvit direction on Soi Siam Country Club, you pass the Siam Lake View village & Peacock bar on the right and the resevoir on the left and about 200m past the Peacock is a right turn up to Horseshoe Point Hotel and the Siam Polo Park. You take this turn and drive up past some houses on your left, keep going and on the right is an old minimart called the corner shop which is closed. The road splits, bear to the right and Laurel Park is the compound with the high creme colour walls. The DeliBean place is along about 60m with a big green and gold awning outside. Basically if you just follow the signs to Horsehoe Point you will go straight past it. Its pretty isolated - not a lot in the immediatte vicinity, which makes for easy parking.

Ok, I just got my loaf of bread for morning toast and while I was there, they were practicising making Sausage sandwiches - "would you like to try mister for free" the girl said "otherwise we just have to throw it away" - well thats an offer nobody can refuse so with a generous dollop of HP sauce I sampled the sandwich. Probably not the most healthy of foods, but certainly tasted good. Oh and while I am typing this I am also eating a apple pie which is extremely delicious.

Still can't see though how this place is going to survive stuck out in the middle of nowhere but enjoy it while you can.

I finally made it over to this place.I went over there with my old mates Kurgen,Highlander and King Nick 4th ,oh also the gf that we all share :D

5 lovely ladies greeted us looking very smart in their uniforms.One in particular ,her name is Aom, was an angelic vision the likes of which are rarely seen on earth.

It wasn't just a case of I couldn't keep my eyes of her , I couldn't even blink :D

I'm going there this afternoon but unfortunately my gf can't make it :D

By the way food and coffee are excellant and well priced but even if you're a fruitarian who doesn't like coffee get over there and take a look at Aom the angel :o

Oh to be single :D

...even if you're a fruitarian who doesn't like coffee get over there and take a look at Aom the angel :D

Nothing like some eye candy to make even the most unpalatable food possible to swallow... :o

...racing off now to get my eyefull before Connor gets there...

I finally made it over to this place.I went over there with my old mates Kurgen,Highlander and King Nick 4th ,oh also the gf that we all share :D

5 lovely ladies greeted us looking very smart in their uniforms.One in particular ,her name is Aom, was an angelic vision the likes of which are rarely seen on earth.

It wasn't just a case of I couldn't keep my eyes of her , I couldn't even blink :D

I'm going there this afternoon but unfortunately my gf can't make it :D

By the way food and coffee are excellant and well priced but even if you're a fruitarian who doesn't like coffee get over there and take a look at Aom the angel :o

Oh to be single :D

I know who you mean - she was there on my first visit :D but not on the second :D - but I do know that one of the cute ones is the owners wife but its not Aom.

I popped in again yesterday and had a late brunch, well very late it was about 7pm and I tried the croisant with scrambled egg and bacon - very good, in fact so good I had two which is just as well as they had sold out of the scrummy apple pies by the time I got there. Unfortunately Aom was not there again, so perhaps she only works mornings ???

The owner was not there but the girls said they are part of company that owns Laurel Park - so presume if its a sideline, its a sideline of that project, somehow I cant see them doing mass catering from there - they dont seem to have the space.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the road this place is on fairly frequently, and have wondered what they were thinking? I did pass a couple of weeks ago and was amazed to see people sat outside, was this you?

Rumour has it there is a Cinemaplex complete with Villa supermarket going up in this area soon? Maybe they know of this.

Seeing the Recs, and wonting to see "the Angel" I will stop and offer my opinion!

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

You guys better keep that place going for me until I move there in April! I'll be living near the east end of Nern Plubwarn, and I hope to stay east of Sukumvit Road as much as possible. You know that we Americans can live on good coffee and good sandwiches! :D (Well, there a couple of other things we need!) :D:D:D:o