Advice On Hardware

MikeWill

It looks that I need to upgrade some hardware, since my system (Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit SP1) crashes more and more often. I need a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Not sure if I need a new video card, the current VGA card is - ASUS eXtreme Nvidia GeForce N6600 GT 128MB DDR3.

As far as CPU goes, I put my eyes on Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core 3.3-3.7GHz 95W, which goes with LGA1155 socket. The alternative is Intel Core i5-2400S 2.5-3.3GHz 65W (LGA1155).

RAM - 4GB DDR3 one socket.

I need your advice on the motherboard with socket LGA1155 and new chipset H67, which supports the integrated GPU and thus allow for video output without a discrete video card. I heard about Intel Z68 chipset, not sure if it's already available.

Any of your comments would be much appreciated.

Price performance rates the i5 2500k 3.3gig @ number three overall which is fine

4gig of DDR3 1333

if your a high end gamer you can always plug in a good 1gig DDR5 video card

If your not going to up grade later to an i7 980x or i7 2600 the two above this in rating then 1155 should be fine.

Not sure if I need a new video card, the current VGA card is - ASUS eXtreme Nvidia GeForce N6600 GT 128MB DDR3.

If you're not an avid gamer, the N6600GT (or onboard graphics) will do just fine.

RAM - 4GB DDR3 one socket.

Get 2 x 2GB instead.

It's cheaper -- plus you'll get the added benefit of running 4GB RAM in dual channel mode.

The P8P67 looks to be a good board, but I've never been particularly fond of ASUS products. If I were to build a new P67 system today, I would opt for the ASRock P67 Extreme4 or Gigabyte P67. Just a personal preference though.

Further reading:

P67 motherboard roundup - LGA 1155

Would you recommend any specific brand of RAM?

Corsair, hands down.

I've also heard G.Skill is pretty good...

First, decide what mobo you're going to get, then choose RAM based on that.

Based on what I've read so far, the Z68 doesn't offer a whole lot over its predecessor. SSD caching and hybrid graphics are the two most notable features of this chipset. If you do a lot of media transcoding, the Z68 might be a better choice.

In short, P67 + H67 = Z68 or as one reviewer put it:

Prior to the Intel Z68 chipset, you would have to choose. Either you could have integrated graphics and no overclocking capabilities, or overclocking abilities as well as the need to invest in a discrete graphics card. Fortunately that is no longer the case. We now have the best of both worlds at our fingertips <snip>

Great, but not enough to actually make me want to rush out to get one...

Further reading:

Z68 Express Roundup

Edited by Supernova

I think you have other issues. I am running W7 Ultimate on a 1yo Netbook w/ 2gb DDR2 RAM, single channel. No problems.

Oh sorry, maybe you are a big gamer or something like that...(forgot) /edit

I LOVE Asus...

Edited by bangkokburning

As you can see from the benchmarks, the Z68 doesn't outperform the P67 and even falls behind the P67 in some tests. Overall, the performance differences between them are negligible for the most part (bar media transcoding). I'd still go for either the ASRock or Gigabyte P67 series boards.

An important consideration for me is the ability to overclock. However, the ASUS board looks to be a solid performer on both chipsets, but you already know how I feel about ASUS...

H = Integrated graphics processor

Edited by Supernova

I suggest avoiding the Asus P8P67 boards. I bought a deluxe and had a real headache with the machine randomly freezing. There have been quite a lot of people with similar problems and Asus has not been forthcoming about acknowledging the issues. I eventually managed to stabilise it and now its great but...why put yourself through the pain? AsRock well worth a look IMHO.

Integrated graphics processor - what does it do?

Gives you fairly decent graphics ability without having to buy a separate graphics card, because its on the chip. Not a good option for serious 3D gaming, but good enough for nearly anything else.

Edited by Crushdepth

I suggest avoiding the Asus P8P67 boards. I bought a deluxe and had a real headache with the machine randomly freezing. There have been quite a lot of people with similar problems and Asus has not been forthcoming about acknowledging the issues.

Apparently there were issues with UEFI, don't know if it has been resolved.

I've heard from Thanni.com that their shipment of new Z68 Chipset Mainboards will arrive soemtime this week. Probably worth waiting a bit.

I will take a much closer look at ASRock Z68 Extreme4.

I'm not much of a gamer, and never did CPU overclocking. But maybe, I should reconsider, and instead of i5-2500 CPU, I should go for the i5-2500K (unlocked).

I'm not much of a gamer, and never did CPU overclocking. But maybe, I should reconsider, and instead of i5-2500 CPU, I should go for the i5-2500K (unlocked).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to overclock, but be prepared to do quite a bit of reading on the subject. There are many tutorials available; just Google it. Also, don't give in to fear mongers who cite the negatives of OCing. While there are some risks involved, the benefits of OCing outweigh the negatives -- if done correctly. OCing requires patience, and lots of it.

My old desktop was having all sorts of problems. I took it to a local computer shop and they told me everything was just too old to be dependable. My drives were fine and I had a good case. The shop didn't want my old computer so that irritated me. I was looking at a new computer that cost 19,000 baht. I asked the shop if they could upgrade mine to the same specs as the new one that I was looking at. No problem. I got a new mainboard, power supply, dual core CPU and 2 GB of new ram. I have basically a new computer in an old box. I added an extra Gig of ram and it has been running like a champ for nearly two years.

The total upgrade cost was 8,000 baht. I'm not a gamer and my new/old computer is plenty fast for what I need. What I do need is a decent Internet connection. A fairly fast computer is the easy part.

I think you have other issues. I am running W7 Ultimate on a 1yo Netbook w/ 2gb DDR2 RAM, single channel. No problems.

Oh sorry, maybe you are a big gamer or something like that...(forgot) /edit

I LOVE Asus...

+1. Just fix the problem. Maybe it's just a loose cable. :)

I used to love Asus and still like it; and I used to hate Gigabyte; but now I prefer Gigabyte. Had good recent experience with two Gigabyte boards and they are built really well, better than Asus I'd say.

Re: ASRock

Who's the dealer/distributor?

Is there a service center in Bangkok?

basically if you're not a gamer/overclocker a basic motherboard is all you need. Don't need to buy high priced boards to get decent performance.

You could try and look at Biostar boards , if u dont wanna pay for highend boards like Gigabyte/Asus. I for 1 will never buy ASrock boards due to poor QC.