Vegan Chocolate ?

aneliane

Hi,

Does being vegan in Bangkok actually mean never eating (milk) chocolate ever again ?

I have been here 8 months and I am starting to crave chocolate, I mean I had some dark one, but it's not the same as delicious SOYA milk chocolate ...

So far I have been to few health food shops and Central Chiltom but no luck ...

Any idea anyone ?

Cheers

A

I haven't found one meself. Nope... not Soya Milk Chocolate here!!!!!....

realized that most of the quality Veg products are imported from Taiwan. (Please try your search)

Thai people don't eat much Chocolate. Very hard though!!!

G 'luck

I haven't found one meself. Nope... not Soya Milk Chocolate here!!!!!....

realized that most of the quality Veg products are imported from Taiwan. (Please try your search)

Thai people don't eat much Chocolate. Very hard though!!!

G 'luck

Shall we organize a bulk import ? wink.giflaugh.gif

Soya milk chocolate sounds like an oxymoron to me - kind of like a soya bean beefburger.

If you don't want milk, eat dark chocolate or white chocolate. If you crave it, then it will be the cocoa you crave, so eat the dark stuff as there's no cocoa in white chocolate.

Soya milk chocolate sounds like an oxymoron to me - kind of like a soya bean beefburger.

If you don't want milk, eat dark chocolate or white chocolate. If you crave it, then it will be the cocoa you crave, so eat the dark stuff as there's no cocoa in white chocolate.

You are absolutely right Soya Milk should not be called milk, because it is not actual milk, the real term should be soya JUICE as soya is a plant

And as god said that chocolate should be made only with cow milk I should not have said 'chocolate'

But "fake stuff that taste like chocolate for people who pretend being vegan but can't actually do it."

Mea Culpa : I should have titled my topic : Looking for Soya-Juice-Fake-stuff-that-tastes-like-chocolate for people who pretend being vegan but can't actually do it biggrin.gifjap.gif

Edited by aneliane

OP. This does not answer your question. But are you saying that vegans can't eat / drink milk from cows? :unsure:

Yep... they are the most serious type of Vegetarians.

Don't you miss Cheese?.... or there is(are) a Vegan cheese(s).

being a Veg. meself , sometimes it's hard when I am out.

but at home i stock plenty though.

Edited by dunkin2012

OP. This does not answer your question. But are you saying that vegans can't eat / drink milk from cows? :unsure:

That is right, vegans are people who have decided not to eat animal flesh or derivatives products such as dairy products.

In a nutshell, vegetarians don't eat animals and vegans don't eat animals, milk, cheese, or eggs.

Yep... they are the most serious type of Vegetarians.

Don't you miss Cheese?.... or there is a Vegan cheese.

being a Veg. meself , sometimes it's hard when I am out.

but at home i stock plenty though.

Yes they are vegan cheeses, (not here though), vegan ricotta, vegan mozza, vegan parmezan, the lot ! ...

Another alternative is good quality tofu from Japan, which is really the Asian equivalent of cheese, in terms of choice of texture (silky, soft, firm, hard) terroir (meaning a tofu from the north would taste totally different from south, depending on the soil, the amount of rain.. where the bean has grown in) and manufacturing (hand made, machine made, lenght of fermentation technique etc ...)

Being from France the country with 350 cheeses and AOC and having worked in product traceability I know that 99.9% of dairy products come from intensive production which ethics has now been compared to a daily Shoah. I will spare you the details.... Anyway for me that is enough to put the cheese fanatic that I was- off for ever.

might be off topic but what is that Oxy whatever chocolate that I have seen?

Also try Paragon as it might be there, alternatively there is a great chocolate shop in Central World, they might have vegan chocolate

might be off topic but what is that Oxy whatever chocolate that I have seen?

Also try Paragon as it might be there, alternatively there is a great chocolate shop in Central World, they might have vegan chocolate

I will give a go at Paragon & Central World Cheers ...

Oxy chocolate ? I googled it and found chocolate with anti-oxydant blink.gif

Edited by aneliane

you mean chocolate like

"Green and Blacks"

not in Thailand

Green and Blacks is (according to their site) organic chocolate.

Could not find non-dairy chocky on their site.

Cheers anyway for taking the time to help :)

Edited by aneliane

That is right, vegans are people who have decided not to eat animal flesh or derivatives products such as dairy products.

In a nutshell, vegetarians don't eat animals and vegans don't eat animals, milk, cheese, or eggs.

It can't be easy. What do you eat? :unsure:

I eat what humans have been eating since the beginning of time up to the 20th century, before meat came "in fashion", ie : grains legumes, vegetables and fruits.

In France for example where I am from, in the middle age, meat was only 4% of food intake. Only riches and nobles could afford meat. Most of French dishes have added meat afterwards.

In Europe excess of fat and proteins that leads to heart disease is the number one killer.

Thailand being a Buddhist country it is actually quite easy to be vegetarian here, much easier than in France.

^

I not really understand what being a Buddhist country have to do with being vegan since most Thais are not averse of chicken and pork.

Edited by meom

I eat what humans have been eating since the beginning of time up to the 20th century, before meat came "in fashion", ie : grains legumes, vegetables and fruits.

In France for example where I am from, in the middle age, meat was only 4% of food intake. Only riches and nobles could afford meat. Most of French dishes have added meat afterwards.

In Europe excess of fat and proteins that leads to heart disease is the number one killer.

Thailand being a Buddhist country it is actually quite easy to be vegetarian here, much easier than in France.

So now you are a vegetarian and not a vegan. :rolleyes:

^

I not really understand what being a Buddhist country have to do with being vegan since most Thais are not averse of chicken and pork.

Buddhism is based on tolerance. The first precept in Buddhism is not to kill. Some Buddhists see this as implying that Buddhists should not eat meat, whereas other Buddhists argue that this is not the case.

Here it seems that most monks are vegetarian, that is why a place like the Vegetarian Foundation food court and shop in Chatuchat exists. A subsidised restaurant which allows non-meat eaters like myself, to eat delicious nutritious food for very cheap and in accordance to their beliefs. Such place would not exist in Europe. Also every year in October we have a veggie week all over Thailand, also impossible in Europe. And much more veggie restaurants than in Paris and most non veggie restaurants have veggies options here... all this because of Buddha !

I just wish Buddha liked chocolate too ;) (Just trying to go back to my primary topic)

Edited by aneliane

^

Buddhism is based on tolerance. The first precept in Buddhism is not to kill. Some Buddhists see this as implying that Buddhists should not eat meat, whereas other Buddhists argue that this is not the case.

Here it seems that most monks are vegetarian, that is why a place like the Vegetarian Foundation food court and shop in Chatuchat exists. A subsidised restaurant which allows non-meat eaters like myself, to eat delicious nutritious food for very cheap and in accordance to their beliefs. Such place would not exist in Europe. Also every year in October we have a veggie week all over Thailand, also impossible in Europe.

:D

Edited by Semper

try searching for imported chocolates from israel that are marked pareve, meaning no diary.... since religious jews wont eat dairy made foods after eating meat meals, and they always read the labels. foods marked with the K for kosher will also have a worde or letter like P meaning no dairy (pareve) or marked dairy... try asking at the chabad house in bangkok they must have a list of where to get kosher food stuffs that would have non dairy chocolate that is not neccesarily the dark bitter stuff, although parve chocolates are usually oilier then milk chocolates. strauss /elite brands may be in bangkok...

bina

israel

^

Here it seems that most monks are vegetarian, that is why a place like the Vegetarian Foundation food court and shop in Chatuchat exists. A subsidised restaurant which allows non-meat eaters like myself, to eat delicious nutritious food for very cheap and in accordance to their beliefs. Such place would not exist in Europe. Also every year in October we have a veggie week all over Thailand, also impossible in Europe.

Sorry I do not know the exact proportion of vegetarian amongst monks ... Should have I put SOME monks instead of MOST ? I really don't know...

All I know is there are enough of them to influence the ratio of veggie food available here and have a veggie foundation in several sites in Bangkok, and that make all the difference from non-Buddhist countries like in Europe.

try searching for imported chocolates from israel that are marked pareve, meaning no diary.... since religious jews wont eat dairy made foods after eating meat meals, and they always read the labels. foods marked with the K for kosher will also have a worde or letter like P meaning no dairy (pareve) or marked dairy... try asking at the chabad house in bangkok they must have a list of where to get kosher food stuffs that would have non dairy chocolate that is not neccesarily the dark bitter stuff, although parve chocolates are usually oilier then milk chocolates. strauss /elite brands may be in bangkok...

bina

israel

Yes , who can argue with this .

bina

israel

Yes , who can argue with this .

Cool ! ok Parve Chokky? I'll give it a go! thank you for this ! jap.gif

Just one question: Where is Chabad House ?

Cheers !

^

Sorry I do not know the exact proportion of vegetarian amongst monks ... Should have I put SOME monks instead of MOST ? I really don't know...

All I know is there are enough of them to influence the ratio of veggie food available here and have a veggie foundation in several sites in Bangkok, and that make all the difference from non-Buddhist countries like in Europe.

Don't mind my personal replies. :)

As a French you should remember why the good king Henry the 4th is so fondly remembered. With meat, you may die of heart disease when you reach 60 ++. In the wonderful time of the middle age, with their wonderful diet of what ever they were eating at that time, I don't think many people were living past 40 ...

Living the good life and having 20 more years of life expectancy ... forget the brocolis bah.gif !

Anyway I was in Paris a few days ago and I had a wonderful "steak tartare", raw minced beef with seasoning, near "les puces" week end market. I'm still drooling thinking about it ...

Edited by JurgenG