'2011: We Were Warned...About Ipv6'

On 8 June, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Akamai and Limelight Networks will be amongst some of the mayor organisations that will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour “test flight”. The goal of the Test Flight Day is to motivate organizations across the industry – Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and web companies – to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful transition as IPv4 addresses run out. read more

For years we’ve been told that IPv4—the present Internet protocol standard—would be running out soon, and when IPv6 takes over, there will be enough IP addresses to go around for every sand particle on the earth’s surface. That sounds wonderful, but nobody seems to truly understand that IPv4 addresses are running out. read more

Test your IPv6 connectivity

Check your IPv6 and IPv4 connectivity and speed

Google IPv6 test

I enabled IPv6 on my network quite some time ago through a tunnel. Today, there's a substantial increase ip IPv6 traffic:

post-23049-0-98906300-1307532005_thumb.p

In Thailand, only NECTEC has put efforts into IPv6. According to NECTEC, IPv6 should be available for customers from CAT and TOT who specifically ask for it, but even their local engineers have no clue at all what IPv6 is: I don't know and cannot are their answers.

Worldwide, lots of services have been available over IPv6. Google and Facebook are examples of websites everybody knows. But there's a lot more. Most European and American based websites are IPv6 ready. In Asia, China and Korea are using IPv6. Practically all datacenters in Singapore are IPv6 ready.

By the way, ThaiVisa is not part of the next generation yet. No IPv6 to this website.

The biggest problem for Thailand is probably that currently IPv6 bypasses all their censorship attempts. Even when tunneling IPv6 through NECTEC, a Thai tunnelbroker.

Thailand still has a lot of steps to take into this new technology future.....

Just did the test and because I am using CAT CDMA and do not have a real public IP address I can report that CAT failed miserably.

(users of CDMA and 3G services are generally allocated a non public IP address in the range of 10.x.y.z), and any test results reflect the public IP of their ISP.)

No IPv6 address detected

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.knob_info.png

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. 0/10

Perhaps by the time IPv6 actually goes live Thailand will have become aware of the issue!

Edited by thaimite