Internet In The Boondocks?

smogmag

Hi Guys

Advice for a tachnophobe please (may be already covered in other forums bit I can't find it)

Mother-in-law lives way in the back of beyond - 1 bar on mobile phone with 1-2-call and 2 with DTAC.

Giving her a laptop during our next visit and want to be able to connect her to the internet for emails, photo transfer etc (so she can see the grand-kids growing up). Nothing needing a quick transfer speed.

She has an old mobile phone with 1-2-call - totally unsuitable as a modem but she likes it !! (she is 80 years old)

Have heard that I can buy a modem and SIM card for the laptop for around 1,200 baht?

Then we can pay around 200 baht per month for her to have 30 hours usage?

Can anyone with a better knowledge than mine point me in the right direction.

BTW - she is in Si Thep, Lop Buri province.

Many thanks in anticipation and apologies if I've duplicated.

Smogs

Hi

Just from my exp when we lived rural Sa Kaeo province

Used AIS 12-call aircard

We had weak and variable signal strength - from my own exp 1 bar on the cellphone would not be enough for a connection, where we were 12-call was bst option, no signal at all for TrueMove, don't know re DTAC

But if you can get a signal, it's basically dial-up speed or worse, OK for text, extremely slow for big photos, useless for YouTube or Skype etc

We've moved and I used it here till our cable was connected - even with five/full strength and a transmitter within close range it is still far inferior to a wired connection

This is the link for the various AIS rates for data http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_special.html

For example, top up the sim card with enough credit, then *138*33# and 'call', your account will be deducted 100 baht and you have 20hrs usage - they send a confirming SMS.

I continue to use this on my cellphone for when I'm travelling and leave the laptop behind.

I guess the thing for you is . . . you won't know until you try.

Many thanks for taking the time. My MIL's phone does not have a modem so will I have to buy a dongle?

Thanks

Hi

Used AIS 12-call aircard

We had weak and variable signal strength - from my own exp 1 bar on the cellphone would not be enough for a connection, where we were 12-call was bst option, no signal at all for TrueMove, don't know re DTAC

But if you can get a signal, it's basically dial-up speed or worse, OK for text, extremely slow for big photos, useless for YouTube or Skype etc

We've moved and I used it here till our cable was connected - even with five/full strength and a transmitter within close range it is still far inferior to a wired connection

This is the link for the various AIS rates for data http://www.ais.co.th...on_special.html

For example, top up the sim card with enough credit, then *138*33# and 'call', your account will be deducted 100 baht and you have 20hrs usage - they send a confirming SMS.

I continue to use this on my cellphone for when I'm travelling and leave the laptop behind.

Many thanks for taking the time. My MIL's phone does not have a modem so will I have to buy a dongle?

Thanks

Hi

Used AIS 12-call aircard

This is the link for the various AIS rates for data http://www.ais.co.th...on_special.html

Apart from the poor expectation of signal,and the frustration of slow connections and downloads,

which will certainly be even slower on a Dongle.

At 80 years old is your MIL Computer literate?

If not you may be wasting your money,on a going nowhere Computer!

Sorry to be pessimistic.

Edited by MAJIC

Perhaps a modem with the option for an aerial, such as the Huawei E160. But there may be the option of CAT CDMA and by extension TRUE 3G. Perhaps a call to TRUE is in order.

Things are moving, albeit slowly in Thailand, so make enquiries with CAT, TRUE and TOT 3G. A Huawei E160 will cover you if TRUE 3G and or TOT 3G eventually offer coverage.

There is also the oft recommended D-LINK DWM-156 which is a better modem but doesn't have a connector for an external aerial.