Work Permits

Firfox

Hi all

Some of you may recall my previous posts in relation to 'starting out on my own'. Basically I will be moving to Thailand this coming December with my family. Therefore, for those who have followed my previous threads it is definetly happening. For those who have not previously read my threads this is a form of semi retirement plan for I will have other income from the UK. I am quite aware this new business venture will not make me a rich person, it is more of an interest/pastime.

My wife will be registering a one hundred perecent Thai owned company that will have the sole purpose of opening an English school/learning centre. Meetings have already taken place with the local Education Director and the official who has responsibility of issuing the operating license. I have all the relevant paper work that needs to be completed as part of the application process. We also have a Thai National who is a Headteacher who will be filing the license application on the companies behalf.

The company will then employ me as the native teacher. I have a Masters Degree and a Cert Tesol qualification. The company will also apply for a waiver for the teaching license.

My questions are in regard to the work permit application made by the company on my behalf.

(1) Will the company have to have assests of 2 million in order to employ a foreigner or is this only for companies with a foreigner holding shares?

(2) Will the company have to employ four thai nationals in order to apply for a work permit for a foreigner or is this just companies with foreign share holders?

I look forward to your replies.

Kindest regards

Andy

If your wife sets up a 100% Thai owned limited company then 4 Thai employees on which social security is paid are required. It is not advisable to set up a sole proprietorship or limited partnership as the Labor Office rarely if ever issues a work permit for these kinds of companies.

If the company is partially owned by a foreigner then 2 million baht in capitalization (since you are married to a Thai national) and 4 Thai employees is required.

For your own financial protection, Sunbelt Asia generally recommends the second course of action, a majority owned limited company in which you are a shareholder.

As you are already aware, an English language school requires certification from the Ministry of Education. The Ministry of Education also requires Thai majority ownership and a Thai director.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]