Chiang Mai Toyride Event; June 18

silverhawk_usa

post-3361-0-66875200-1307719551_thumb.jp

The Chiang Mai ToyRide is having a Give Away Event on June 18, 2011. We will ride from Tesco Lotus (Super Highway), departing at 10:30AM, to an orphans home in Doi Saket.

This home is literally just a house rented with money from individual donations, which houses 35 orphaned Hmong, Lisu and Karen children. Even so. the home is kept neat and clean, and the children are well cared for, as we discovered on a surprise survey visit. Their ages range from 4 years old to 12 years of age.

The Chiang Mai ToyRide has already provided new school shoes so that the children could start the school year without facing the stigma of not having proper shoes to wear. The CMTR has also purchased 10 bunk beds and mattresses, blankets and some wardrobes, which have already been delivered.

On June 18, we will bring toys, games and educational material to the children and have a small party along with our CMTR Clowns. Come and join us. If you wish to contribute additional items or toys for the children, please do. If not, just come along for the fun and to show the children some support and that people do care.

All sizes and types of motorcycles are welcome. If we have enough interest we may do an afternoon ride after the event. This is rain or shine, so meet us in the parking lot of Tesco Lotus near the Super Highway exit area.

If you can confirm that you will attend, it will help us with our preparations. See you there. :)

I owuld like to go as well as I am checking a few friends to see if they wish to go

First time doing something like this, can you tell me more ?

What kind of toys ?

How long is the ride ?

What kind of bikes do you expect ?

If you go to our website you will get an idea of the overall concept and what we do. We have one very large event each year, which was held in February. We then do what we call "give away" events throughout the year with the proceeds. We go to needy locations and do what we can to provide tangible assistance where little other help is being received. We usually have somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-20 bikes on these rides, whereas our main event pushes the 300 number. Mainly we do it as a fun way to make the donations and the kids get a thrill out of seeing the motorcycles. The event itself usually lasts a couple hours at the most.

As we have already received many toys from our main event, additional toy donations are purely optional. We usually have a plethora of stuffed animals, so wooden toys, games, sports equipment are always welcome. Space is at a premium at these homes, so bigger is not always better. Clothing items or personal hygiene items are also always needed. Many who will attend have already donated, so additional donations are not a requirement.

The ride to Doi Saket from Tesco Lotus is only about 20km on good roads. Any bike is welcome. We may do an afternoon ride after the event, and that would probably be more suitable for larger bikes. The route is yet to be determined.

We hope you and your friends can ride along, it is always fun to watch the excited children.

Sounds a good way to spend a Saturday so if it isnt torrential and the old clunker fires up.................I take it pens and pencils, writing type books wouldnt go amiss either.

"The old clunker" So are you referring to taking the missus as well. That is no way to refer to your good lady dellboy!!! : -)

I hope to join you ......weather permitting.

Sounds a good way to spend a Saturday so if it isnt torrential and the old clunker fires up.................I take it pens and pencils, writing type books wouldnt go amiss either.

"The old clunker" So are you referring to taking the missus as well. That is no way to refer to your good lady dellboy!!! : -)

I hope to join you ......weather permitting.

No, I meant the 2 wheeled one not the 2 legged one.

Open to suggestions, and to some extent it depends on the experience level of those going along

How about up the 118, over on 120 to Phayao, and back to CM? If we really wanted to make a day of it we could come from Phayao on 1 to Lampang and then to CM. This is a fast sweeping road, divided a fair ways, and can be good fun.

Any suggestions

Mrs Hoghead (she just loves the name) is organizing lunch for the riders and would appreciate knowing how many TV members are attending

Please either chime in here or PM me

I am organizing the post event ride. Any suggestions keeping in mind the various skill levels of the participants, different types of bikes, and that we are leaving from Doi Saket around 1 and should be back in CM by dark

3 people on 2 bikes with Tooth brushes and toothpaste for all (Assuming you said about 35 or 36 people . . .)

We have our own ride planned after up and around Mae taen So we will not be doing that leg this time

!0:30 to us is a little bit of a late start in the day but we will meet near the exit of Tesco shortly after 10:00

We are rain or shine riders !:)

The logic for the 10:30 departure is that we arrive at the orphanage before noon to present the kids with their toys, amuse them with the clown, and have lunch. A bit of hanging around after with the kids, then off for the ride.

I am also thinking of up 118 and across to Fang, then back to CM.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks to all that have confirmed and hope to see more riders Saturday morning.

As usual for group rides, arrive with a full tank of fuel if you are coming on the ride after.

Sign me up for an afternoon of having fun with you all.

I've been in CNX for about seven years now and witnessed first hand how much effort the members of the ToyRide put into their efforts. They do their research on where the raised money can be put to the best use when choosing sites and schools in which to contribute. No NGO's driving new Toyota Land Cruisers here, a quality effort in which if you feel charitable can give back to those children in real need. Hats off to you SilverHawk and Hog Head and others that make the ToyRide organization a real quality effort.

See you Saturday.

I presume others have noted the countdown timer on the Toyride website is showing the 25th of June!

That would be my fault. You are the only one who commented on it. Hopefully everyone saw the Upcoming Events Page or has read the correct date here and other sites. Thanks for catching that error.

:sorry:

The give away ride is this morning and here in Mae Rim it is shaping up for a nice day without a rain cloud in sight

See you all at Tesco on the Superhighway, leaving at 10:30.

Look for the Chiangmai ToyRide banner at the Superhighway end of the parking lot - same place where we depart for the main ride every year

Thanks to all riders that coma along and to our Sponsors for making this all possible.

Also special thanks to the Euro Diner who, in spite of being closed for renovations this week, made a special effort and provided lunch for the riders.

Dave will be posting some pics of this event on our website so be sure to visit www.chiangmaitoyride.com