New Laos Tax Laws For Foriegners.

lovelaos

Some very important news is coming out of Laos for foreigners intending to work in Laos. Currently foreigners pay 10% income tax, from October 1st 2011 this will change. Employees with salaries of 1 million kip or less per month will be exempt from income tax, starting from the next fiscal year which begins on October 1. According to a presidential decree approved by the National Assembly in March, Lao people earning monthly salaries of 1 million kip or less will be exempt from income tax. At present, only those earning 300,000 kip or less per month are exempt.

Read more:

http://www.vientianetimes.org.la/

http://jclao.com/archives/1903

Edited by metisdead
Edited for fair use.

How many foreigners will have salaries of approx. 3,000 THB a month? Very few I would imagine...

When I worked in VTE a few years ago none of the expats I knew there were earning anything close to that.

Also, note that work permits for foreign nationals will be limited to 2 years, renewable only once AFTER a 2 year leave from the country. This will be tested in Vientiane before being rolled out in other provinces and passed into law. A circulary has been sent to Falang owned companies in Laos regarding this issue. Sorry, no link at this time. If any of you have one, please post. thanks.

Also, note that work permits for foreign nationals will be limited to 2 years, renewable only once AFTER a 2 year leave from the country. This will be tested in Vientiane before being rolled out in other provinces and passed into law. A circulary has been sent to Falang owned companies in Laos regarding this issue. Sorry, no link at this time. If any of you have one, please post. thanks.

Seems a bit tough.

How many foreigners will have salaries of approx. 3,000 THB a month? Very few I would imagine...

When I worked in VTE a few years ago none of the expats I knew there were earning anything close to that.

Did you read the link?

What is the relevance of 3000 THB?

Really?:o I can't find this information anywhere, Is your source reliable?

No foreigner with a legal work permit makes only 3,000 Baht a month.

No foreigner with a legal work permit makes only 3,000 Baht a month.

Yes, and your point is?

Perhaps you should read the 2nd link again. Regarding the rise in income tax for foreigner workers.

Yes, higher rates of income tax for foreigners isn't good for anyone.

Lao government has been promoting foreign investment heavily in recent years offering tax breaks to set up businesses in remoter areas etc. - this appears a step backwards...