Galaxy Tab Thb10K

bkkmick

The Galaxy Tab wifi-only cannot tether to ad-hoc networks.

This seems strange. Can this device connect to any WiFi network?

I think the question is, if I create a WiFi hot-spot with my iPhone can I connect this SGT to it via WiFi, and then 'access' the WAN connection of the iPhone (3G perhaps)? In the Android 2.2+ world we call this Mobile AP.

post-9615-0-90583200-1308024747_thumb.jp

I think the question is, if I create a WiFi hot-spot with my iPhone can I connect this SGT to it via WiFi, and then 'access' the WAN connection of the iPhone (3G perhaps)? In the Android 2.2+ world we call this Mobile AP.

There are two different modes of having a hot-spot: "ad hoc" mode and "infrastructure" mode.

"Infrastructure" is what your normal home router delivers. The GT-wifi can connect to normal wifi-routers of course.

"ad-hoc" hotspot is what many mobile phones only can use. It is more limited, but sufficient if only few devices connect.

As far I know iphone-hotspots are ad-hoc networks. All Nokias are ad-hoc as well (via JoikuSpot).

Some android phones can be a full infrastructure hotspot, but that depends on the hardware.

There are some hacks (need rooting) to make a normal Galaxy Tab tether to ad-hoc networks. But these hacks do not work with the GT-wifi due to slightly different hardware.

Unfortunately, the GT-wifi also cannot tether via bluetooth. That basically cuts you off from internet unless you have a full infrastructure hotspot nearby.

There are two different modes of having a hot-spot: "ad hoc" mode and "infrastructure" mode.

"Infrastructure" is what your normal home router delivers. The GT-wifi can connect to normal wifi-routers of course.

"ad-hoc" hotspot is what many mobile phones only can use. It is more limited, but sufficient if only few devices connect.

As far I know iphone-hotspots are ad-hoc networks. All Nokias are ad-hoc as well (via JoikuSpot).

Some android phones can be a full infrastructure hotspot, but that depends on the hardware.

There are some hacks (need rooting) to make a normal Galaxy Tab tether to ad-hoc networks. But these hacks do not work with the GT-wifi due to slightly different hardware.

Unfortunately, the GT-wifi also cannot tether via bluetooth. That basically cuts you off from internet unless you have a full infrastructure hotspot nearby.

Thanks for the explanation. I was unfamiliar with the iPhone's tethering capabilities and just assumed they were the same as an Android 2.2 phone, which can become a Mobile AP with infrastructure mode. I've tested it a a few times and it works OK, uses a lot of battery and I think a smartphone may not make the best router? I also just tested USB and Bluetooth tethering, using the phone as a dial-up modem, and that works, 2G only obviously.

Thanks for the explanation. I was unfamiliar with the iPhone's tethering capabilities and just assumed they were the same as an Android 2.2 phone, which can become a Mobile AP with infrastructure mode. I've tested it a a few times and it works OK, uses a lot of battery and I think a smartphone may not make the best router? I also just tested USB and Bluetooth tethering, using the phone as a dial-up modem, and that works, 2G only obviously.

An iPhone (4.3) Personal Hotspot is Infrastructure, not ad-hoc, at least according to my wifi scanner and a lot of googling supports this as well.

An iPhone (4.3) Personal Hotspot is Infrastructure, not ad-hoc, at least according to my wifi scanner and a lot of googling supports this as well.

Yep, I stand corrected. It seems that the latest iPhones with MyWi can do infrastructure:

Yes - on iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.6+, MyWi 4.0 can create an infrastructure mode network.

For other iDevices, - no. The WiFi firmware only supports adhoc network creation. The PSP, PS3, Kindle, and Wii devices do not support connecting to an Ad-Hoc network.

http://support.intelliborn.com/index.php?searchq=infrastructure&search=Search&searchphrase=all&ordering=newest&type=ALL&option=com_kb&Itemid=&task=search