What Do You Enjoy The Most About Chiang Mai

hellodolly

I was reading the article about the most dangerous thing in Chiang Mai and it hit me let us see what people enjoy the most about Chiang Mai.

For myself it is the culture it is so different. I do not judge it as better or worse than what I had back home just different. I am retired and it opens a whole new world to me. The only thing lacking is a beach. Also I have to admit it is disconcerting to have every one for the most part driving on the wrong side of the road.

Could prove to be a very informative thread. Might find new things to enjoy. At the present time I am out walking around seeing things I had not seen in years due to self imposed isolation. Chiang Mai gives me the opportunity to start all over again.:jap:

When the temperature gets high, I hop on the Wave, grab some cookies from Butter is Better, and head up Doi Suthep to the Hmong village. It gets nice and cool and the views are great.

I also love the little mom & pop food shops in my neighborhood.

Lots of other stuff as well.

David

Edited by Genericnic

I've said it many times; Chiang Mai is small enough that you can walk around the inner city in couple of hours, and yet it is large enough that you can never learn everything about it. There is always something new to explore or find out. You can go just about anywhere in the city and find someone to talk to, and who speaks English. It has a big enough infrastructure to provide most anything you could want in a city, and yet the city seems small. It is relatively close to nature, and within a short ride on a motorbike you can be in a semi-wilderness setting. I started a picture thread on the general forum about what I love about Thailand. The first few pages were all about Chiang Mai. That pretty much explains it all from my point of view.

Not so much for me, but I feel that Chiang Mai is a great enviroment for er in doors and the bratkins, sorry, the kids.

My 2 daughters often arrive home late from work or studies and I don`t live in fear for them as I would back in the States or the land of no hope or glory, England.

Also, I feel no need to secure our home like Fort Knoxs.and providing we tow the line, the locals are friendly and we get no problems.

It`s not the place to find wine, women and song, but good for my family and this is what really matters.

This is what I enjoy most about Chiang Mai.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I like it's cosmopolitan atmosphere, there are farangs & foreigners from many different countries, but even the Thais are hill-tribes or Lanna or Central/Bangkok-Thai, it's just such an international place, and we all get-along with one another.

Except for those who prefer burgers to pizza ! :lol:

No question that I appreciate the size of town (all but perfect, for me), the availability of books, Payap's (and others') musical offerings, films, the countryside and nature's usual welcome to come outdoors, outside in light clothing. Also a number of other pleasures mentioned above.

But I may not be alone in relishing value for money above all. Certainly there are regions of high prices among merchandise and services, and inflation and exchange rates have much to say, but price disadvantages are far outweighed, for my way of living, by lower costs all 'round. At present.

Edited by CMX

When the temperature gets high, I hop on the Wave,

David

Argh.. with the '50 ways to leave your lover' posted earlier it's now back in my head..

..Just hop on the Wave, Dave,...

..head down the soi, Roy,..

:)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just to correct you, they drive on the correct side of the road. Well, some of the time, some of the time they don't know and the rest of the time they hedge their bets!

Absolutely correct ! Being English I would say they do drive on the right side of the road in general, but I am constantly meeting people coming towards me who are driving on the wrong side of the road, even on dual carriageways. It's just something that we get used to here.

The people, the weather, the food, nature, quality of life, value for money, history, beauty.

I was going to post something profound, but you beat me to it. I couldn't agree more with the above statement.

/ Priceless

Just to correct you, they drive on the correct side of the road. Well, some of the time, some of the time they don't know and the rest of the time they hedge their bets!

Absolutely correct ! Being English I would say they do drive on the right side of the road in general, but I am constantly meeting people coming towards me who are driving on the wrong side of the road, even on dual carriageways. It's just something that we get used to here.

You two forgot to mention on the sidewalks to.

For myself that is different and I can appreciate it. Well so far it has been a very up beat thread let us hope others put in there two baht worth. All appreciated I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised that cost was not the number one item so far. I feel like it has a limitless supply of good things to enjoy and it is up to me to do so. n Only fly in the ointment is I don't have a vehicle or any desire to get one. Some day I will just hire a car to take me and my camera around the out lying areas and enjoy them also, also I will stop at a road side Thai cafe and see what I get.. I know it is not as good as a motorbike but that is some thing I will have to live with. Thanks for the posts. I am getting the feeling that it is the little things that make it so wonderful. All added up they become monstrous. Keep them coming

Edited by hellodolly

You two forgot to mention on the sidewalks to.

For myself that is different and I can appreciate it. Well so far it has been a very up beat thread let us hope others put in there two baht worth. All appreciated I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised that cost was not the number one item so far. I feel like it has a limitless supply of good things to enjoy and it is up to me to do so. n Only fly in the ointment is I don't have a vehicle or any desire to get one. Some day I will just hire a car to take me and my camera around the out lying areas and enjoy them also, also I will stop at a road side Thai cafe and see what I get.. I know it is not as good as a motorbike but that is some thing I will have to live with. Thanks for the posts. I am getting the feeling that it is the little things that make it so wonderful. All added up they become monstrous. Keep them coming

I have a Car but I have a Bicycle too and ride every day for two hours. I guess I am lucky because I live out of town and have a multitude of lanes and small roads to cycle around. I take a different route every day and in three years I have never had a dull moment. Always something new to see and the locals are mainly friendly. I have taken many photo's of wonderful things and I enjoy taking photo's of people around homes and their work and taking them along prints later which I give them. This brings many offers of food and drink as well as people who want to chat when they can. Some folks talk of boredom being the main danger here but for myself I can say that boring is never a word I could use about Chiang Mai and its surrounding area.

I like that i learn something new everyday about how things work here and we will never truly never know everything so it makes it interesting.last night i saw a thai brick layer on the 2nd floor and the people at the bottom were throwing up the bricks at 11pm at night while i was sitting at the bar highly amusing and something that i have never seen before no hard hat or t shirts with a cigarette in his mouth.

I have a Car but I have a Bicycle too and ride every day for two hours. I guess I am lucky because I live out of town and have a multitude of lanes and small roads to cycle around. I take a different route every day and in three years I have never had a dull moment. Always something new to see and the locals are mainly friendly. I have taken many photo's of wonderful things and I enjoy taking photo's of people around homes and their work and taking them along prints later which I give them. This brings many offers of food and drink as well as people who want to chat when they can. Some folks talk of boredom being the main danger here but for myself I can say that boring is never a word I could use about Chiang Mai and its surrounding area.

We are like minded people, trainman. I also like to get about the country and take photos. I also bring prints of the better pictures back to the families. They always appreciate them.

The thing I love most about Chiang Mai is how laid back most of the people are. This is because I am lazy myself! Because of this relaxed culture I have, over time, learned to truly enjoy the simple things in life - sleeping, eating, having a beer, watching TV, and developing a sanuk view of the world!

The first time I came to Chiangmai in 1987 (I think), I said to myself, "This is for me!"

When my contract in HK finished in 1991, my first thought was, "Move to Chiangmai!"

I did, and I never regretted it. Why? I just felt at ease there.

And now I live in Buriram.