Waldorf Kindergarten In Chiang Mai

Gaia

I was so happy to hear there is an International Steiner/Waldorf kindergarten in Chiang Mai. I have friends who send their children to a Waldorf school in Australia and are very happy there. I agree with the philosophy and think it provides such a beautiful and natural environment for our children to grow. Does anyone send there children there or has anyone visited the school?

http://www.fahkwang.com is not an international school. It is a waldorf school in thai. This year, they opened also grade 1, and kids start learning English and Chinese too.

However, there is a new International Waldorf school opening in August 2011. Courses will be in English mainly.

But, the school is only started to advertise (there is the contact number of the school on the board of Rimping Supermarket SanSai)...

Not to mention the Early-Years programme, at PTIS International School, which follows the I.B. (International Baccalaureate) system.

But a new Waldorf/Steiner international-school in Chiang Mai, which is already a fairly-crowded market, sounds interesting ... perhaps they'll start the publicity soon if they open in a couple of months' time ?

In my opinion, the Waldorf schools are bascially a cult for rich people to send their kids.

Off the bat it looks normal; but they have this whole thing about past lives and weird new age stuff.

Look into it :jap:

Yeah, take a careful look.

I know they do some dam_n good salads, but never heard about the schools...........

(ie maybe they should introduce themselves a bit more fully? And no cucumber on mine, thanks).

Yeh, they do believe in reincarnation and you need to make sure that is ok for you.

Here is the website:

http://cmchildrensgarden.org/calendar/

I went to visit it. It is on the last ring road in a nice teck house. The toys are amazing.

The garden is big enough and they will grow organic plants in part of it.

PTIS is also a very good school in my opinion. People say it is expensive (and yes it is for Chiang Mai and it is a shame only a few people can afford it), but it is cheap compared to other international schools with an IB program in the world, and the school still needs to pay the expat teachers.

Hope you find the best school for your child. :)

Young children learn best through play so I have always looked at these expensive kindergarten programs as more for the parents

I went to have a look at talk to the teacher. Free play seems to be the most important and focused on part of the day!

In my opinion, the Waldorf schools are bascially a cult for rich people to send their kids.

Off the bat it looks normal; but they have this whole thing about past lives and weird new age stuff.

Look into it :jap:

Yeah, take a careful look.

I know they do some dam_n good salads, but never heard about the schools...........

(ie maybe they should introduce themselves a bit more fully? And no cucumber on mine, thanks).

If they are doing salads, do they also do 'Baby's Heads' ?

I have seen the teacher in this new Waldorf kindergarten, Rachel Bernstein, with young children and she is absolutely amazing: loving and engaging while also a fabulous instructor. You can't believe how much the children are able to learn, while never losing the smiles on their faces. I can't imagine a better teacher.

• 2 months later...

I have two daughters aged 3 and 5 in Fahkwang Waldorf School (http://www.fahkwang.com)

My oldest daughter went to three other schools (One international, two private Thai) in Chiang Mai so I know a thing or two about education in Thailand. What was mentioned before about the fact that Waldorf education is like a weird cult cannot be totally denied. I went to Waldorf schools in the Netherlands and already noticed as a child that some of the parents were a bit "weird".....there was also a period that about 10% of the parents (and by extension their kids) became followers of the Indian guru Bhagwan and started to wear only red clothes. That being said, the majority of the Waldorf Schools and parents are OK and not weird at all. They are just more open minded and mindful than your average citizen.

Then, Waldorf is in it's infancy here so they are building everything up from the ground. It is just a group of teachers and parents who are interested in child development. Waldorf education is not a system, it is a philosophy that aims to keep the individual on it's own path of development and not make it into something else. It is more about raising strong and happy personalities than performance and knowledge. Years ago I attended a reunion of my old Waldorf school and I was amazed about what everybody became. A top scientist, a film maker, a documentary maker, a gold smith, some entrepreneurs....virtually everybody did something interesting.

Fahkwang is not an international school, but about half of the kids are western or mixed. As mentioned in an earlier post, Rachel is (or already has) opened an international Waldorf Kindergarten. I have several reasons I will not switch to the international Waldorf. We do not intend to leave Thailand so it is also very important to learn the Thai language and play with Thai children. Also the school fees are a lot lower and my daughters already like the school.

The only problem I have with the school is the size. There are about 15 children in the kindergarten. They just started the first grade school class with 5 children. For next year there are three children so far (including my daughter). I do believe that there are enough people out there in the minefield of Thai education who are looking for an alternative so I hope there will be a few more children for next years grade 1. In my desperation I was already thinking about home schooling when I fount this school.

This school is not commercial like almost all the other "child processing factories". It is not about money but about love.

Edited by LongJohn

In my experience (and I've had some) Waldorf schools are usually loving, arts-rich, happy places. As I've seen it in the States and Europe, teachers will stay with children as they move up through the years, which makes it good to hear kind words about a particular teacher in the area. Parents unfamiliar with the system who are considering it for the long haul might want to ask directly about the general approach to reading, as it may or may not fall within their comfort level.

In my experience (and I've had some) Waldorf schools are usually loving, arts-rich, happy places. As I've seen it in the States and Europe, teachers will stay with children as they move up through the years, which makes it good to hear kind words about a particular teacher in the area. Parents unfamiliar with the system who are considering it for the long haul might want to ask directly about the general approach to reading, as it may or may not fall within their comfort level.

I thought Waldorf was a type of salad (aka Fawlty Towers)

I met the two Thai ladies who run the school at a recent workshop. They were enthusiastic, open and devoted to their project. I look forward to visiting them one day soon.

W

I have two daughters aged 3 and 5 in Fahkwang Waldorf School (http://www.fahkwang.com)

My oldest daughter went to three other schools (One international, two private Thai) in Chiang Mai so I know a thing or two about education in Thailand. What was mentioned before about the fact that Waldorf education is like a weird cult cannot be totally denied. I went to Waldorf schools in the Netherlands and already noticed as a child that some of the parents were a bit "weird".....there was also a period that about 10% of the parents (and by extension their kids) became followers of the Indian guru Bhagwan and started to wear only red clothes. That being said, the majority of the Waldorf Schools and parents are OK and not weird at all. They are just more open minded and mindful than your average citizen.

Then, Waldorf is in it's infancy here so they are building everything up from the ground. It is just a group of teachers and parents who are interested in child development. Waldorf education is not a system, it is a philosophy that aims to keep the individual on it's own path of development and not make it into something else. It is more about raising strong and happy personalities than performance and knowledge. Years ago I attended a reunion of my old Waldorf school and I was amazed about what everybody became. A top scientist, a film maker, a documentary maker, a gold smith, some entrepreneurs....virtually everybody did something interesting.

Fahkwang is not an international school, but about half of the kids are western or mixed. As mentioned in an earlier post, Rachel is (or already has) opened an international Waldorf Kindergarten. I have several reasons I will not switch to the international Waldorf. We do not intend to leave Thailand so it is also very important to learn the Thai language and play with Thai children. Also the school fees are a lot lower and my daughters already like the school.

The only problem I have with the school is the size. There are about 15 children in the kindergarten. They just started the first grade school class with 5 children. For next year there are three children so far (including my daughter). I do believe that there are enough people out there in the minefield of Thai education who are looking for an alternative so I hope there will be a few more children for next years grade 1. In my desperation I was already thinking about home schooling when I fount this school.

This school is not commercial like almost all the other "child processing factories". It is not about money but about love.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure are a lot of newbies writing gushing reviews of a newbie kindergarten.

Could there be any relationship between those two phenomena?

I think in some parts it's called spam, not salad.

With a fee of 30.000 a year they really are not in it for the money. There are still people out there who care. And yes I am spamming to promote the school. It is a relatively new school and I wish it to flourish for the benefit of my 2 daughters and all the other kids.

Sure are a lot of newbies writing gushing reviews of a newbie kindergarten.

Could there be any relationship between those two phenomena?

I think in some parts it's called spam, not salad.

With a fee of 30.000 a year they really are not in it for the money. There are still people out there who care. And yes I am spamming to promote the school. It is a relatively new school and I wish it to flourish for the benefit of my 2 daughters and all the other kids.

30,000 baht or dollars?

• 1 month later...

what age groups does fahkwang cover?

Kindergarten 3-5 years (currenly has a waiting list)

Grade school started this year with grade 1 (6 year), next semester they add grade 2 (7 year). (places still available for grade 1 and 2)

Edited by LongJohn

• 1 month later...

Hello,

There are 2 Waldorf schools in Chiang Mai (based on the work of Steiner, the german philosopher).

I had one of my child going to Fahwang (waldorf in thai) and then going to chiang mai children s garden (waldorf in english). We now left Chiang Mai. i have been happy with both schools. My child prefers the school in Englis.

Yes, the german philosopher Steiner did believe in reincarnation and he did want to prepare the kids for their next reincarnation.

However, in the English Steiner school, they do not talk about reincarnation to the kids especially if the parents are not believers. They only use the method of education through specific games and activities.

The Thai school uses metaphors about reincarnation.

Both schools have very kind and carring teachers. Both schools are happy to lend books about the Steiner education.

I recommend the thai school for kids who already know some thai.

I recommend the english school even for kids with no English. Rachel is very good at teaching English. My son, is doing great in his new international school in english (his teachers says he is fluent) after only two months in Chiang Mai Children s garden.

Do your research on Waldorf education... we checked out the Thai one once and decided against it - but we had admittedly not done any research and only found out later about some the more esoteric beliefs of the founder.

There's quite a few kindergartens / schools dedicated to learning through playing. I'd definitely check out the children's garden and Tong Kla. A friend of ours goes to the latter and they love it... and they advertise that they're mostly about playing.

• 3 weeks later...

Do your research on Waldorf education... we checked out the Thai one once and decided against it - but we had admittedly not done any research and only found out later about some the more esoteric beliefs of the founder.

There's quite a few kindergartens / schools dedicated to learning through playing. I'd definitely check out the children's garden and Tong Kla. A friend of ours goes to the latter and they love it... and they advertise that they're mostly about playing.

Well, I had my two daughters in Tonkla and found exacly the opposite. It was not about playing but rather standing in line, waiting a lot, singing american songs and sitting on the floor on a star with your number. Sorry, but do not fall for the slick advertising. Most private Thai schools are run for profit.....just like a chicken farm. This was just a chicken farm with a really nice playground (which was little used due to fear of a PR damaging injury) and a pool....

• Like 1

Well, I had my two daughters in Tonkla and found exacly the opposite. It was not about playing but rather standing in line, waiting a lot, singing american songs and sitting on the floor on a star with your number. Sorry, but do not fall for the slick advertising. Most private Thai schools are run for profit.....just like a chicken farm. This was just a chicken farm with a really nice playground (which was little used due to fear of a PR damaging injury) and a pool....

Interesting, where did you opt for instead?