Pheu Thai Ahead Of Democrats: Opinion Poll

webfact

Pheu Thai ahead of Democrats: opinion poll

By The Nation

Pheu Thai is leading the Democrats both in the party-list and Bangkok's 21 constituencies, according to an opinion poll released yesterday, with 44 per cent of people still undecided on which party they are going to vote for.

Bangkok Poll conducted a survey of 3,323 respondents from June 2-9. Some 33.6 per cent of Bangkokians said they would vote for Pheu Thai in the party-list system, an increase of 7.8 per cent compared to a survey conducted on May 20-22, 17.1 per cent said they would vote for the Democrats, an increase of 2.4 per cent, and 3.2 per cent maintained they would vote for Love Thailand, an increase of 1.2 per cent. Some 44.1 per cent were undecided.

As for the constituency system, 33.8 per cent would vote for Pheu Thai, an increase of 7.5 per cent compared to a survey on May 20-22, some 17.6 per cent would vote for the Democrats, an increase of 2.4 per cent, 1.3 per cent would vote for Rak Santi, the same as the previous survey, and 46.4 per cent were undecided.

Pheu Thai leads in constituencies 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 23, 26, 27, 29, 32 and 33.

The Democrats lead in constituencies 1, 2, 15, 19, 22 and 30. The two parties share almost same scores in six constituencies: 6, 9, 21, 25, 28 and 31.

Yingluck still leads Abhisit as the most favourite PM candidate with a backing of 42.6 per cent, an increase of 15.7 per cent, followed by Abhisit, 23.6 per cent, an increase of 6.2 per cent, Purachai Piumsomboon 3.9 per cent, an increase of one per cent and Chuwit Kamolwisit 2.4 per cent, a drop of 1.2 per cent. Some 27.5 per cent were undecided.

Meanwhile, Dusit Poll surveyed 1,556 people from June 8-11 on what kind of election campaign they wanted most. Of the total, 31.41 per cent said they wanted MP candidates to come up with clear policies on how they could improve the well-being of people, 28.2 per cent wanted to know how MP candidates would manage community development and 25 per cent sought more information on educational and security policies.

Regarding what the respondents do not want to hear from MP candidates during their campaigns, 38.1 per cent said mudslinging, 34.8 per cent said lies and allegations without evidence, 16.2 per cent said exaggeration of qualifications.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-13

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there been an opinion poll with less than 30% undecided?

Clutching at straws. Now that has been made public that the army forced the smaller parties to join the Democrats; Are you really still going to support this party? Looks like everyone else has realised, probably time that you left the sinking ship with the other rats. Or will it just be you & Abhisit left standing after the July 3 massacre?

Clutching at straws. Now that has been made public that the army forced the smaller parties to join the Democrats; Are you really still going to support this party? Looks like everyone else has realised, probably time that you left the sinking ship with the other rats. Or will it just be you & Abhisit left standing after the July 3 massacre?

Even if the army forced parties to join the Democrats, how would that change whether I support them or not.

I don't support the Democrats because they are in government. I support them because they are better than Thaksin's puppet parties.

Is that the way that you decide who you support? You just follow who you think will win? You jump ship when you think you are going to lose?

But, anyway, how is asking a simple question "clutching at straws"?

Nope. Most everyone who will vote for a Thaksin puppet party already knows, they aren't getting much more than 1/3, just like the last election. Most others are listening to the campaigns of the other parties and keeping an open mind which one to choose until the actual day

i will be there too

it will be a cold day in hell when i kow tow to the red revoltionary bully boys.........

There was one about a week ago which had 10% undecided.

I think a lot of undecideds will remain so until they get into the polling booth, then it will be just a decision based on emotional rather than logical/reasoned factors.

The most revealing thing about undecideds is that they show the extent to which voters' attitudes are not as entrenched and dogged as those on show in this forum, and that large sections of the population simply don't care as much about the issues as the non-voting posters of TV.

The Army can't force those decisions but perhaps someone else can? Not forever of course,but hopefiully long enough for some people to wise up.

I think a lot of undecideds will remain so until they get into the polling booth, then it will be just a decision based on emotional rather than logical/reasoned factors.

The most revealing thing about undecideds is that they show the extent to which voters' attitudes are not as entrenched and dogged as those on show in this forum, and that large sections of the population simply don't care as much about the issues as the non-voting posters of TV.

Actually I think the attitudes on this forum are very similar to voters. A large majority of TV posters don't have an opinion on Thai politics.

i will be there too

it will be a cold day in hell when i kow tow to the red revoltionary bully boys.........

Brave talk. Should the Democrats be swept aside, not much will change and you will still be doing what you did on any given day before Mme. Yingluck takes her place as PM (should she win).

Foreigners in Thailand are always making threats and big statements, but it's usually hot air.

Edited by geriatrickid

Ever heard of the Tak Bai massacre? You might want to look that one up.

Youtube has everything you need to know.

Tak Bai was a gas.

Thaksin Shinawatra more evil than Saddam Hussein of Iraq and smarter than Adolf Hitler with his secret genocide?

CO2 Secret of Thai genocide

Sick reporters laugh at genocide as they sip on their beers in the FCCT.

Learn how Thaksin was behind the recent Tak Bai genocide where almost 900 villagers were suffocated by each other's carbon dioxide in terror truck trips.

In this 1 minute clip Sir Prachai Leopairat leader of the Machima Party explains at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand why ousted ex Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra owner of Manchester Football Team is more devious and demonic than both Saddam and Hitler. I don't want to spoil the video, you must watch it to find out!

Actually I think the attitudes on this forum are very similar to voters. A large majority of TV posters don't have an opinion on Thai politics.

or maybe they do have an opinion but they don't want to post it ;)

With 44% "undecided", there are probably a lot of Thai voters in that group that don't want to share their opinion.

With 45% still undecided, I would be a little hesitant about crowing. What do people want to hear - policies, policies and policies. Apart from the ridiculous computers for 6 year-olds, which PTP policies will influence Bangkok voters. A huge increase in the price of rice don't cut the mustard in the big smoke!

With 44% "undecided", there are probably a lot of Thai voters in that group that don't want to share their opinion.

exactly, for example i have a friend, she's a teacher of a vey famous university in BKK, and she support PT but she and many other teachers and students of that Uni. are afraid of saying openly who they support for one simple reason,the owner of the Uni. is a yellow shirt supporter who forced teachers and many student to take part in the yellow shirts protest against K.Thasin, so they( students and teachers) fear retaliation from that guy, and that happens in many other places.

exactly, for example i have a friend, she's a teacher of a vey famous university in BKK, and she support PT but she and many other teachers and students of that Uni. are afraid of saying openly who they support for one simple reason,the owner of the Uni. is a yellow shirt supporter who forced teachers and many student to take part in the yellow shirts protest against K.Thasin, so they( students and teachers) fear retaliation from that guy, and that happens in many other places.

And I'm sure that goes both (all) ways throughout the country.

Thailand will be sorry. If reds win welcome to Zimbabwie 2 Pol pot or at least a saddam but it will take a number of years and a ruined country before people here see how stupid they have been. Best of luck as they say will last one out please turn out lights

..............because they are afraid of their boss?B)

And I'm sure that goes both (all) ways throughout the country.

I'm sure you're right, but not sure that it amounts to equal opportunities in terms of garnering votes in this way.

For example, I've heard from the mouth of a soldier that his commanding officers have told them how to vote at elections. The army is a big organisation. A lot of voters. The party favoured by the bigwigs would indeed gain an advantage here.

I've heard similar accounts (although not as direct as the example I just gave) of similar things going on in civil service departments, again a large block of voters for the taking. I would guess the majority of bosses in these organisations would want people to vote Dems, but that's just my guess.

Edited by hanuman1

the 300 baht has been paid out to each person old enough to vote in wifes village, that gets a vote for a guy who is an independant but joined Abhisit Vejjajiva in the coalition, although all the village stongly support Thaskins old party. money talks.

Edited by NALAK

the 300 baht has been paid out to each person old enough to vote in wifes village, that gets a vote for a guy who is an independant but joined Abhisit Vejjajiva in the coalition, although all the village stongly support Thaskins old party. money talks.

In a way its nice to note that the value of a vote has risen over the years. I'm sure they were dishing out 20Bt per person years ago.

On the other hand, the rising price of votes is sure to exclude ever larger numbers of parties from taking part as effectively as before - most undemocratic.

And on a third hand, maybe if the price keeps rising there will be a positive outcome. Here's hoping for the day when the price of a vote is higher than anyone can afford ;)

Everyone needs to reach their own conclusions but actually I give Thaksin a relative pass on Tak Bai and my reasons relate to things one cannot discuss on ThaiVisa or indeed in Thailand at all. That said, he is the instigator in chief of mass murder in his "war on drugs". He set quotas of how many dead he wanted to see each month, none of whom had the benefit of a defense or the law. Given that, one could only assume that given his new party platform of re-instituting the war on drugs, many more thousands will die, and given the lack of due process I imagine the lines will get blurred between criminals and his personal enemies. It is not for nothing he garnered the name"Toxsin". Where he goes, people die.

I'm sure you're right, but not sure that it amounts to equal opportunities in terms of garnering votes in this way.

For example, I've heard from the mouth of a soldier that his commanding officers have told them how to vote at elections. The army is a big organisation. A lot of voters. The party favoured by the bigwigs would indeed gain an advantage here.

I've heard similar accounts (although not as direct as the example I just gave) of similar things going on in civil service departments, again a large block of voters for the taking. I would guess the majority of bosses in these organisations would want people to vote Dems, but that's just my guess.

Soldiers and civil servants vote in their respective electorates, so commanding officers / bosses would have no idea how they voted. Also, depending on where these soldiers and civil servants were based, their commanding officers / bosses could be supporters of any political party.

On the other hand, people in a village have a much better idea how people (not specifically individuals) vote. I would imagine bosses of local companies in smaller villages would have a better idea of how their staff (in general) vote than companies in bigger towns and cities.

Edited by whybother