Kohtao - Hin Wong, Snorkeling And Bungalows

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect on Koh Tao? We are headed to Hin Wong, plan to snorkel off the beach and stay a few days in one of the bungalow set up that is currently confirming at B350.

Any help with specific snorkeling areas in the bay and Ao Luek. Is it too far to swim to the rocks/pinnacle? My Thai gf can stay in the water now for 2 hrs.

How can we get to Ao Leuk beach without going through that rough families property I have read so many bad reports about? Possible??

Transport tips: Is it B100 per pax over the hill?! ESPECIALLY getting songtaew back in the morning for the boat to Chumphon

Bungalows NOT to stay in

Cheap share snorkel trips (we have our own gear)

Scams or anything to be avoided?

We have no interest in Sairee Beach, I can't be around that environment, it drives me crazy.

Thanks.

The best resort in Hin Wong in my opinion is View Rock resort. Basic accomodation, good food in restaurant and great views over the bay. There is virtually no beach at Hin Wong (and not at View Rock) apart from at low tide and its not really a beach you woiuld spend time on (not cleaned). The snorkelling in Hin Wong is great, very good behind the roped off area at the south of the bay and also good around the small pontoon at view rock. Au Leuk has a beautifull beach and a couple of good acocmodation options. It is about half a mile out to 'Shark Island' the rock to the south of the bay and I wouldnt recomend swimming it, the water can get a bit choppy if the wind picks up. Unless a strong kayaker it is probably too far also as if you get into trouble there is nothing to stop you being blown out into the gulf! Maybe one of the resorts in Ao Leuk will do a snorkelling trip out there best to ask around.

Both resorts in Hin Wong and probably in Ao Leuk can arrange a taxi accross to Mae Had in the morning for the ferry. As to access to Ao Leuk cant help you there as have only ever arrived there by boat but taxi's on the island should be able to get you there no trouble.

As Anguid said be very carefull of renting motorbikes, apart from the obvious risk of riding one on the island there have been a couple of reports in the past of huge claims for minor damage.

The roads in Koa Toa except the one going up the west side are or can be very rough, (depending on when last graded!) ... and not for motor bikes, usually.... so heed Angiuds advice.... cos you'll be "done" for high price repairs, should you have an accident...for bike and your selves!

I did try a few years ago to get to Mango Bay, on a bike, then walked down & back up again about a thousand steps!!! even after driving about half way, was given a lift by the resort owner...who I had been following, (I did not know that at the time) he was in a 4 x4..... he then drove me back to my bike after having lunch! I would imagine the roads to the two places you mention that it would be much the same...

Ao Leuk beach has a small beach, if you Google it... but I would not expect you could run into Mae Haad area for some "night life" if that is want you are looking for... you'll be in pretty quiet spot! ... maybe that is what you want...?

I also think you'll pay a lot more than 100 baht, for a Songtaew... it would depend on how many people going..... I paid more than that going to a resort (The Tropicana Resort, just south of Mae Haad.... 500 baht a night at that time...... that was in 2007.... now, probably a bit more! )...

Nice resort, but not much for snorkeling in that area, you'd be best doing snorkeling trips by boat ..... fees would vary... again probably on season and how many people going.... or rent a Kayak, but it could be difficult to "park it" along rocky shore lines while you snorkel! That area is not quite like Saree Beach... but nice, with a bit more to do.... in evenings etc...

The east coast resorts are very isolated, and roads /tracks not well signed... I tried a few tracks, but never found a beach on East side....so you are usually at the mercy of the resort for all food etc. No 7-11 etc! Many areas are rocky, with no beach...

Added a few pics, but these from a day boat trip from Samui last year, except the last one which was the beach area near where I stayed in 2007.

post-85461-0-82847700-1307930170_thumb.j

post-85461-0-31617200-1307930224_thumb.j

post-85461-0-94170800-1307930346_thumb.j

Thanks for all that. Oddly, I had Rock View picked out so thats sounds perfect. Thanks for all that!

What about getting back over the hill in the morning to catch the boat back to Chumpon and up to BKK? GF has to be at work next A.M. How would I arrange that, thru the bungalow?

How much for the Songtaew 2 pax to Hin Wong anyone??

So, swimming to the rock is out? 500m not so bad. We swim out to the bouys in Mai Ngam Mu Koh Surin all the time, but yes - it is very calm.

No, I don't take bikes for many reasons. But thanks for that.

Taxi from Hin Wong back over the hill can be arranged at the resort, not sure of prices in either direction but it would probably be a private taxi to Hin Wong as apposed to a Songtaew, its a bit off the normal route for them i would have thought

Have fun and you certainly won't be disturbed by any nightlife at View rock!