Will We Have Problems

springer64

Travelling to Thailand late august,with 2 guys who are mixed race mother African and father Irish ( they are brothers),we hope to stay in bkk for 2 nights then on to samui and phuket.Having read several posts about hotels not wanting blacks,indians and various races in and refusing them accomodation.What is the best way of dealing with this,or going about this as we need places/hotels to stay.Its there first time in Thailand,21yrs old, younger brother 18.Any ideas advice or help i thank you in advance

My immediate reaction is that, you won't have any real hassles... Especially, I think there is more of a problem with Indians than with Africans...

One of the good things about Thailand is, there isn't any PC Brigade.... if a hotel has bad experiences with one race, they will simply turn them away, whereas, in Australia, the government would rather you go bankrupt than discriminate...

You can expect some experiences that you might find confronting... people will likely come straight out and ask personal questions about your skin, and your parents relationship, that you just wouldn't experience back home... or like the post above girls calling you 'Khun Dam' which means like Mr Black...

It is like this through most of Asia... in fact I find Thailand to be less discriminating that other Asian countries...

Cheers,

Daewoo