Briton Drowned In Koh Samui Insist Thai Police, So Murder Investigation Is Off

webfact

Everybody knows that farang deaths and disappearances are part of everyday life throughout Thailand. I know farangs who have died or disappeared with questions going unanswered.Was this Briton involved in business regardless of its legality ? Koh Samui ,Phuket and Pattaya are notorious for their unsavoury characters Thai and western man alike.You get involved in businesses and marry local bar girls at your own peril.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think most expats in Thailand know that mysterious deaths are part of the risks of living in Thailand, on a par with road accidents, malaria, dengue etc. Integrating with the local community is not a protection, Thais are probably more at risk than expats, it is simply that expats have a higher profile in the media.

Farangs from every country should form a Non Profit Activist Group in order to have a voice. They all are far away from homes and it is about time to reunite and stand tall. Farang Members can demand their Right and protection from the Thai government beside the Embassy. At the same time, they can extend their hands to the Thai citizens who are in trouble. Then the relationship between Farangs and Thais are better. It is a good thing. My take and opinion.

This is another example of how fast Thailand is progressing, backwards! While other neighboring countries like Malaysia are putting great resources into building a very credible police force, and fighting corruption, and dealing with the freaks that feel they are above the law, Thailand is doing little about that. Samui, in particular has perhaps less talent, and skill than a police department in a town of 500 people in the US. Although the Thai people like to use the excuse that this is a poor country, and we cannot afford the personnel and training required, we all know that is completely false. They have the money. They could have the resources if it was desired. I have heard from experts, that have worked with the Thai police, and the stories are shocking, about the lack of talent. In Samui, I doubt they have a single investigator who would qualify to work for a small town police department, anywhere in the world. And this is a tourist mecca. Unfortunately, Samui is going backwards, and I am afraid it will only be a matter of a decade or two, until it is no longer a real tourist destination. What the Thai people are going to do with the tens of thousands of hotel rooms that have been built there remains to be seen. Will Samui become an abandoned tourist destination museum? The lack of focus on police (and the attendant problems with murders such as these, jet ski scam operators, and the out of control taxi mafia), road improvement, sewage, electric, enforcement of the no smoking ban in effect throughout Thailand, local culture, improving travel options to and from the island (the bangkok air fiasco), etc, etc, etc, is causing a general decline on the island, and that is only going to get worse. In addition, there is a general lack of awareness, on the part of the Thai hotel, restaurant, club, and bar operators that these issues even exist. Sure, they see that tourism is down dramatically, but that is being caused by low season! It has nothing to do with any of these issues. There is no sign whatsoever that anything is being done to address ANY of these issues. On top of all of this, there is little environmental awareness on the part of any of the local authorities. I recently ate at a restaurant just north of Nathon, on the water. Though the view was gorgeous, the entire area, as far as the eye could see, was littered with plastic bottles and bags. Hundreds, and hundreds of them, everywhere. For the minor cost of 75,000 baht per month, the leader of the island, our trusted mayor, could put together a crew of 9 people. One foreman, being paid 15,000 baht per month, and 8 workers at 7,500 baht per month each, and they could circle around the island, cleaning a different beach every day. Every 60 days, the entire coast could be cleaned. For only $2,500 per month. Do you think he has ever even thought of that? Why is it not being done? Where does the lack of motivation, initiative, pride in the environment, and creativity come from? Why is it allowed to persist. Why is there no supervision of this mismanagement on the part of the central, or provincial government? Why doesn't anyone care? Who is the representative for Samui, in Bangkok, and why is he also out to lunch? The local authorities, including the mayor Jaikwong, are either completely incompetent, do not care, or are making too much money to want to change anything. Well, the problems are coming home to roost. It is only a matter of time. Samui is quickly becoming a historical footnote.

It is pretty thin when a local authority is chosen to investigate it's own local police.

Yet again an incompetent police force is trying to make a "problem" go away. Unfortunately these kind of people are not just incompetent in one area - they are pretty incompetent when it comes to covering up their incompetence too.

Everybody knows that farang deaths and disappearances are part of everyday life throughout Thailand. I know farangs who have died or disappeared with questions going unanswered.Was this Briton involved in business regardless of its legality ? Koh Samui ,Phuket and Pattaya are notorious for their unsavoury characters Thai and western man alike.You get involved in businesses and marry local bar girls at your own peril.

Time to reunite and stand tall for all Farangs at the same token try to help the local citizens. When bad thing happens Farangs will have help and support. My take and opinion.

Edited by ryladie99

This is another example of how fast Thailand is progressing, backwards! While other neighboring countries like Malaysia are putting great resources into building a very credible police force, and fighting corruption, and dealing with the freaks that feel they are above the law, Thailand is doing little about that. Samui, in particular has perhaps less talent, and skill than a police department in a town of 500 people in the US. Although the Thai people like to use the excuse that this is a poor country, and we cannot afford the personnel and training required, we all know that is completely false. They have the money. They could have the resources if it was desired. I have heard from experts, that have worked with the Thai police, and the stories are shocking, about the lack of talent. In Samui, I doubt they have a single investigator who would qualify to work for a small town police department, anywhere in the world. And this is a tourist mecca. Unfortunately, Samui is going backwards, and I am afraid it will only be a matter of a decade or two, until it is no longer a real tourist destination. What the Thai people are going to do with the tens of thousands of hotel rooms that have been built there remains to be seen. Will Samui become an abandoned tourist destination museum? The lack of focus on police (and the attendant problems with murders such as these, jet ski scam operators, and the out of control taxi mafia), road improvement, sewage, electric, enforcement of the no smoking ban in effect throughout Thailand, local culture, improving travel options to and from the island (the bangkok air fiasco), etc, etc, etc, is causing a general decline on the island, and that is only going to get worse. In addition, there is a general lack of awareness, on the part of the Thai hotel, restaurant, club, and bar operators that these issues even exist. Sure, they see that tourism is down dramatically, but that is being caused by low season! It has nothing to do with any of these issues. There is no sign whatsoever that anything is being done to address ANY of these issues. On top of all of this, there is little environmental awareness on the part of any of the local authorities. I recently ate at a restaurant just north of Nathon, on the water. Though the view was gorgeous, the entire area, as far as the eye could see, was littered with plastic bottles and bags. Hundreds, and hundreds of them, everywhere. For the minor cost of 75,000 baht per month, the leader of the island, our trusted mayor, could put together a crew of 9 people. One foreman, being paid 15,000 baht per month, and 8 workers at 7,500 baht per month each, and they could circle around the island, cleaning a different beach every day. Every 60 days, the entire coast could be cleaned. For only $2,500 per month. Do you think he has ever even thought of that? Why is it not being done? Where does the lack of motivation, initiative, pride in the environment, and creativity come from? Why is it allowed to persist. Why is there no supervision of this mismanagement on the part of the central, or provincial government? Why doesn't anyone care? Who is the representative for Samui, in Bangkok, and why is he also out to lunch? The local authorities, including the mayor Jaikwong, are either completely incompetent, do not care, or are making too much money to want to change anything. Well, the problems are coming home to roost. It is only a matter of time. Samui is quickly becoming a historical footnote.

Makes Pattaya seem pretty bloody marvelous.Wasnt too many years ago the deep south police in america allowed the klu klu klan to murder many blacks,and some were members too,corruption stinks dont it.The west midlandspolice in the uk were very corrupt too,corruption stinks dont it.

In my personal opinion I like your post and would like to see you forwarding it to the Mayor Mr. Jaikwong . All Farang and Thai citizens in Samui should form a volunteer group to help cleaning up since you all live in this town. Time to clean up, unite and helping hand then you all have a wonderful place on earth.

of coarse there would be water inside his body if he was knocked out and nearly dead before being thrown into the water.

Maybe he did die from drowning but i am guessing that someone could be unconsious before being thrown into the lake which is why he could not climb out.

if he did die offically from drowning what happened before he fell into the lake or was thrown into the lake.

just to be fair with the story to move out any question that he hit his head or back on the way down. was there anything sharp that he could have fallen on on the way down.

Just being nutural. Is it possible the marks on his body could have been on the fall on the way down. or are the marks from the angles and the type of marks impossible to be from an accident.

if he had puncher wholes on his back then sounds like he could have been stabbed from behinde.

If stabbed from behinde then i do not think that it was a scrap between mates,

seems like a proffessional hit as the person who would have done it would not want to show his or her face.

in a scenario. for example if someone wanted to kill someone in the lake in the dark. then someone who does not reckonise could get up close stab him in the back then push him in the water to wipe away evidence,

not saying that is what happeneed because i do not know but in thriory someone could do this

I guess from this well written analysis you must be a forensic scientist or perhaps an English teacher!!

I think many times people will rarely do extra work to find out what really happened in a case like this.It is more from a real lack of concern about the truth of the matter. If the truth is inconvenient then another answer is fine for most. Their is little reward for not going along with the quickest and easiest conclusions. It is never an easy thing to conclude another police investigation was poorly done or somehow corrupted.It can even hurt police to question the job of other police.

I agree with those who post that this happens all the time with Thai death inquiries also.I think most Thai don't expect the police to spend much time or effort to uncover the truth. Everyone knows that truth and justice are always trumped by money and power and influence...We see this in Falang countries also although here it seems more blatant..

I feel sorry for the family left behind with questions, as people here will just shrug off another (Falang) death which may well have been murder in anger or for profit..

A friend of mine here always reminds me to be worth more alive than dead. So many times the unsolved sudden suicides seem to happen when some one else stands to profit.

of coarse there would be water inside his body if he was knocked out and nearly dead before being thrown into the water.

Maybe he did die from drowning but i am guessing that someone could be unconsious before being thrown into the lake which is why he could not climb out.

if he did die offically from drowning what happened before he fell into the lake or was thrown into the lake.

just to be fair with the story to move out any question that he hit his head or back on the way down. was there anything sharp that he could have fallen on on the way down.

Just being nutural. Is it possible the marks on his body could have been on the fall on the way down. or are the marks from the angles and the type of marks impossible to be from an accident.

if he had puncher wholes on his back then sounds like he could have been stabbed from behinde.

If stabbed from behinde then i do not think that it was a scrap between mates,

seems like a proffessional hit as the person who would have done it would not want to show his or her face.

in a scenario. for example if someone wanted to kill someone in the lake in the dark. then someone who does not reckonise could get up close stab him in the back then push him in the water to wipe away evidence,

not saying that is what happeneed because i do not know but in thriory someone could do this

I understood he was found lying on his back in the lake. Marks on his back and back of the head could thus very likely be from livor mortis. These are discolored indentations, where the body rests on a hard surface after deceased. A pathologist would see the difference between bruising and livor mortis, but non medical people would not. I do not know all the details, nor have I seen the pictures, but livor mortis seems to fit well with the dscription of the marks on the body. It would help if the medical examiners gave some more details on this case, but I guess they are not used to people questioning them.

I think many times people will rarely do extra work to find out what really happened in a case like this.It is more from a real lack of concern about the truth of the matter. If the truth is inconvenient then another answer is fine for most. Their is little reward for not going along with the quickest and easiest conclusions. It is never an easy thing to conclude another police investigation was poorly done or somehow corrupted.It can even hurt police to question the job of other police.

I agree with those who post that this happens all the time with Thai death inquiries also.I think most Thai don't expect the police to spend much time or effort to uncover the truth. Everyone knows that truth and justice are always trumped by money and power and influence...We see this in Falang countries also although here it seems more blatant..

I feel sorry for the family left behind with questions, as people here will just shrug off another (Falang) death which may well have been murder in anger or for profit..

A friend of mine here always reminds me to be worth more alive than dead. So many times the unsolved sudden suicides seem to happen when some one else stands to profit.

A friend of mine here always reminds me to be worth more alive than dead

WRONG

The secret is not tell nasty people how much assetts u have.I have heard expats boasting so much,and in many cases telling ies about their wealth

Edited by metisdead

I think most expats in Thailand know that mysterious deaths are part of the risks of living in Thailand, on a par with road accidents, malaria, dengue etc. Integrating with the local community is not a protection, Thais are probably more at risk than expats, it is simply that expats have a higher profile in the media.

I think you are quite correct in this summation and I agree with you. Why is it that so few here, will see the whole picture? The Thais are at far more risk than us and have even less protection. I think things will slowly change for the better for us all. Maybe it will take a long time, but better that than no change for the better at all. This ugly incident seems to be getting closed down, regardless of how it may have seemed or even been. This is yet another good example, of just how much power the concept "of Face" has in most Asian cultures. It's a very powerful influence/factor here and despite how we see it, or what we think of it, let us never forget just how much it can influence so many aspects of daily life. This must be terribly difficult for this mans family, seeing it from their cultural aspect and not understanding why the conclusion of the police has been made this way, when to them and others, it clearly should have gone in a different direction. My condolences go out to both family and friends of this poor man. May he rest in peace.

I don't understand why them coming to the conclusion that the cause of death was drowning would stop a murder investigation...Just because he drowned that doesn't mean it wasn't a murder...

If you beat someone unconscious or semi conscious and then throw them in a lake and they drown then your responsible for their death...from the evidence that we are aware of this seems the most likely scenario..

Also as unpalatable as it may be for some to hear, as others have pointed out already, your own partner being so desperate to pass your suspicious death off as a suicide, is extremely suspicious...

When tourists are involved deaths are often natural. The Down Town Inn deaths in Chiangmai or the people hanging from ceilings with their hands bound on their backs are examples. The police is often not really interested in the truth but in damage control. That same damage control is ridiculed elsewhere and backfires. It is not even done with a bad intention it is often well meant patriotism. In such cases embassies need to take the lead. Some do, like the Japanese embassy with a killed journalist, some don't like Italy from which their leader himself has a lot to hide.

This is an answer to the posters remarks about the police in U.K.

Hey the U.K. is not 100% corruption free, but to compare it to the police in Thailand, drop it, are you saying this thing happens in U.K. NO WAY .... The corruption is rife here, untouchable for the the next generation at least.

For all the foreigners here with businesses good luck, a good % will be trouble free, majority NO. at some time or other...Thou will be done !!!!!!!!! but most of the problems seem to come from the Pattaya Samui Phuket bar/eating places. I used to get involved with all Thais-sport families partners-----now after 32 years NO way Jose. I keep all at arms length -but at the same time I'll smile. Surely as was stated before the guy was assaulted ?? NO PHOTOS for evidence ?? no one can get access, No EMBASSY query ??or were the wounds washed off in the sea?

Edited by ginjag

The actions and the conclusions of the police in this matter are absurd, as they always are. They clearly have instructions from up high to make every murder look like a suicide, to " save face" for Thailand, and make sure tourists keep coming thinking this is a safe and wonderful country. Each country we come from has it own share of murders, but at least they are investigated and hopefully the murder is brought to justice. That does not occur here, so in essence in the zeal of the Thai police is make the case go away without solving it, the true murder is free to kill again down the road.

So in my mind the only way these cases will EVER be solved is when the respective embassies put serious pressure on Thailand to solve cases where a tourist is clearly killed. As in putting out travel warnings ( which Thailand hates), or in essence refusing to let their tourists travel to Thailand. Then these cases will be solved instantly........So at some level I fault the embassies for not standing behind their citizens and assisting the bereaved family members. This should be part of their job.

In this particular case, I suspect he has many friends who are probably doing a bit of investigating on their own, and who are probably not afraid to administer a bit of justice on their own either. :-)

My condolences to the family.

Farangs from every country should form a Non Profit Activist Group in order to have a voice. They all are far away from homes and it is about time to reunite and stand tall. Farang Members can demand their Right and protection from the Thai government beside the Embassy. At the same time, they can extend their hands to the Thai citizens who are in trouble. Then the relationship between Farangs and Thais are better. It is a good thing. My take and opinion.

Unfortunately "they can extend their hands to the Thai citizens who are in trouble" thats all they will allow you to do. Anyone living in Thailand should understand that their "rights" are at the descretion of whoever they maybe dealing with at the time. As a previous post said, getting involved in busnisses etc here should be done at your own peril. "Caveat emptor" Buyer beware!

Girlfriend

Or a psycho, 'boyfriend on the side' of hers,

or someone that wants her and her new assets.

Or jealous Ex-Boyfriend of hers.

Or simply someone wants that location

and he wouldn't sell out.

Or someone was ejected from Honey bar while drunk,

and lost face, or showed up drunk and was refused service in front of friends and lost face.

Not saying any of this is so,

but it fits a typical pattern for Thailand.

This is not a Samui only type of thing, this happens all over,

not going to Samui because of this is the same logic as not coming to Thailand at all.

Edited by animatic

Many more will come and marry bargirls and many more will die in suspicious circumstances. Some think with what hangs below and that is a problem. Stay away from bargirls and you will live longer.

its a pity Kevins remains could not be repatriated to the UK for a proper aoutopsy, i new him for many years and it just does not seem right kevin is down as commiting suicide as apoosed to murdered. blatently was murdered, how can it possibly slip by as a suicide in 12 inches of water. its easy to put 2 and 2 and get 5, but this one knowing a few bits of the history does not take to much working out.

RIP Kevin to me it will always be murdered never committed suicide.

typical thailand, and i keep hearing people telling me thailand is so cute and safe...

Nothing cute or safe about Thailand. Watch your back 24/7 as you are always 1 step away from "drowning".

Those that think they are immune to this type of situation are usually the ones that end up on the news.

Semper Vigilans

Definitely not suicide but murder!

Anyone who get themselves involved in dodgy business in Thailand, could easily end up as a dead corps. This is a calculated risk you have to take. The BIB do as little as possible to solve the such cases, as they are probably too busy doing dodgy business themselves. They could just run a proper investigation on the partner and the employees in the bar. If non of them are directly not behind the kill, one of them will most likely know exactly what happened and why.

If anyone was to commit suicide in Chaweng, they would definitely not choose a dirty lake with only one foot of water, when the Gulf of Thailand is just a hundred meters away!

Edited by Xonax

Here's my 2 satangs worth. He was beaten unconscious, robbed and thrown into the sea then he drowned. It still sounds a bit fishy. My condolences for Kevin's family. I hope they will not give up and find the strength to keep on this until they have proper closure.

But unlike the original post mortem conducted in Koh Samui, the second inquest confirmed two ‘impact marks’ on Mr. Attew’s head and five puncture marks on his back, penetrating 3 mm into the skin, and also bruising on his back and neck

are they for real !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , i have seen the picture of when they found the body, and NO WAY is this drowning !, ok he may of had some water in his lungs but how can you explain all the other injuries ! ..... this is truly shocking

i think there mayof been a lot of lost face here, so instead og admiting they where wrong, the police insist on calling this a suscide !, or are being heavily paid off

could someone link the pic?