Well Water Testing

GiantFan

I would like to have my well water tested. Have sent emails to a few companies, but no response. University Department of Environment says that they are thinking about offering, but not for a while. Any companies that do this in Phuket?

Sure it won't be so difficult to find a shop which is willing to "test" your water for 1000 Baht or something. But a REAL test would cost far more - a large number of seperate tests would have to be run. Think of bacteria, metals, dust, organical materials, and many different chemical substances like insecticides and industrial waste products.

In countries like Ireland and Norway you can have your well water tested for a small fee, but this is heavily subsidized by the government.

Sure it won't be so difficult to find a shop which is willing to "test" your water for 1000 Baht or something. But a REAL test would cost far more - a large number of seperate tests would have to be run. Think of bacteria, metals, dust, organical materials, and many different chemical substances like insecticides and industrial waste products.

In countries like Ireland and Norway you can have your well water tested for a small fee, but this is heavily subsidized by the government.

And you know it will cost more??? please let me know then, and how do you know what they test for in that shop???

And you know it will cost more??? please let me know then, and how do you know what they test for in that shop???

I have no idea what they actually test in that shop but if you want a comprehensive test which includes things like E-colli then you should go to Vachira Hospital. They will provide you with a couple of sterilized containers for your samples. Test cost depends on what you want tested.

E-Coli from Vacchira would be interesting. Which department would I contact?

Answer back from Bangkok company that tested to the Thai Standard for potable water (listed 30+ things that they tested for) was THB 20K. One problem was that the sample needed to be kept at 4 degrees C on the way to Bangkok. Major hassle.

Thanks for the info on ESP. Will check them out tomorrow.

E-Coli from Vacchira would be interesting. Which department would I contact?

Answer back from Bangkok company that tested to the Thai Standard for potable water (listed 30+ things that they tested for) was THB 20K. One problem was that the sample needed to be kept at 4 degrees C on the way to Bangkok. Major hassle.

Thanks for the info on ESP. Will check them out tomorrow.

In Vachira enter to the left of emergency, walk past the OPD check in & continue fairly straight until you go up to the next level. Should be a door in front of you with the testing department on the right after you enter. They should speak English in there but if you have difficulty finding it you will probably need to ask directions in Thai. Last time I used the service, quite a few years ago, it cost 4,000 which included checking various bacteria levels amongst others.