Could This Be Possible?

I read an "Ugly Rumour "-- on another board , saying that the " Powers that be " are toying with the idea of making people -[ read farangs ]--Return to their Place of Origin to renew their visas--effectively cutting out the Border runs !!!!!!!

Please tell me that this cannot be done :o

Biggles

I believe it is one more rumour, however, it is true that you can get new visas only in your country if you are coming from certain countries:

quted from MfA-page:

Passport holders of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Sudan, Algeria, Libya, Yemen, Egypt and Palestinian States are requested to file for application at the Thai Embassy/Consulate-General where they have their permanent residence.

Possible.....This is a must to protect Thailand and her people. Look a the countries on the list!

Passport holders of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Sudan, Algeria, Libya, Yemen, Egypt and Palestinian States are requested to file for application at the Thai Embassy/Consulate-General where they have their permanent residence. Sorry about that but homeland protection is now a priority for free counties.

Pits of Terrorism and also noted visa violaters. NO Brainer. They ought to go to big picture and restrict some of the African countries.

I have seen evidence that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has directed overseas embassies to routinely grant visas no longer than 90 days to "third party nationals" - that is, applicants from outside the jurisdication of the Embassy issuing the visa. Meaning - if you want a one-year visa, you may have to apply in home country.

I also think that many Thai Embassies are making their own exceptions to this rule, on a case-by-case basis. Rationale: Unkown

Indo-Siam

I have seen evidence that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has directed overseas embassies to routinely grant visas no longer than 90 days to "third party nationals" - that is, applicants from outside the jurisdication of the Embassy issuing the visa.  Meaning - if you want a one-year visa, you may have to apply in home country.

I also think that many Thai Embassies are making their own exceptions to this rule, on a case-by-case basis.  Rationale:  Unkown

Indo-Siam

How recent was the ' evidence '? I will check it with a Thai Embassy friend abroad.

Dr. PP -

Four cases since October 1st - American seeking Class O in Penang (90 day only); Belgian seeking Class B in Cambodia (90 day only - and bribe required); UK citizen seeking Class B in Singapore (90 day only); Canadian getting Class O in Hong Kong (90 day only). But - I have also had a Belgian get a one-year Class B from Brisbane. And, I also just had a UK client return from trip to USA, where he got a one-year multiple entry class B. So - there are exceptions.

So - maybe it is all about certain nationalities, as relates to certain embassy issuing points.

One of the 90 day guys above (I forget which) said that he was told "If you are legitimately going to get an extended entry permit for employment, then all you need is a single-entry 90 day visa" - which is EXACTLY correct. Arrive with a 90 day entry permit, apply for and get a work permit, and you must then wait until 60 days following entry to be eligible to apply for a one-year extension. Once you get the extension, you MUST get a re-entry permit - if you depart and return using just a multiple-entry visa, your extended entry permit is cancelled.

One year ago, all my clients who qualified were typically getting one year visas routinely - except at Ventienne, which always gave just 90 days.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Four cases since October 1st - American seeking Class O in Penang (90 day only); Belgian seeking Class B in Cambodia (90 day only - and bribe required); UK citizen seeking Class B in Singapore (90 day only); Canadian getting Class O in Hong Kong (90 day only). But - I have also had a Belgian get a one-year Class B from Brisbane. And, I also just had a UK client return from trip to USA, where he got a one-year multiple entry class B. So - there are exceptions.

So - maybe it is all about certain nationalities, as relates to certain embassy issuing points.

Steve In your four examples the missions are considered tough ( although Penang goes through hot and cold stages. ) The Embassies and Consulates in ' Western ' locations are typically fairly easy to deal with, so it must be down to issuing points. I'll check it out and get back to you.