Dog Food

jeffwebb

we moved house to a place we cannot cook or store food for the dog so we bought pedigree chum dry food beef flavour which would seem to have no beef in it, and the ingredients seem rather poor. Does anyone know of dry food at about the same price that is better

There are perhaps 10 or more Thai brands of dry dog food that are way cheaper than imported brands. Our Golden Retriever loves A Pro I.Q. Formula brand - about 240 Baht per 10 kg or 420 Baht per 20 kg. Check the nutrition contents which are usually in Thai and English if you are concerned about the food. Some have more protein, less sodium, etc.

I buy large bags(20Kg) of dog food(Smart Heart) at the pet food wholesaler at the end of Wulai Rd.(Saturday Walking Street). If you turn onto Wulai Rd. frorm Tipenett(sp?) Its about 20 meters down on your left. They carry most major brands and cheaper than most retail stores.

^ Smart heart= Good Quality, but seems expensive (I've 6 hungry tummies to feed).

I go for Bokdok in various colors depending on protein percentage: the green 15kg bag is currently ~360B or 24B/kg, and has been for over a year now. One serving ea day, plus an evening meal of boiled rice with chicken, hamburger or sardines , veg oil, and meat seasoning (sort of a guy-yok).

Incidentally the bags of in-house dog food sold by Makro are sourced in bulk from Bokdok(check the data on each bag), but more expensive for some unknown reason.

The bags of in-house dog food nuggets sold by Lotus have a lot of air blown in to them to offer 'more' for your money: One bag was enuf - no more!

One thing I've noticed is that since the Chinese script appeared on certain brands of dog food there has been a massive drop in quality. Alpo used to be OK but since the Chinese writing (made in China??) its a different texture and drop in quality. Backed up by drop in condition of dogs. Also the case for Pedigree.

At the moment with Smart Heart (no chinese writing on the packet and quality seems the same), any other recommendations??

Great price, just got back from Makro and bought Savpack 25 kg for 820 baht, where are you shopping?

There are perhaps 10 or more Thai brands of dry dog food that are way cheaper than imported brands. Our Golden Retriever loves A Pro I.Q. Formula brand - about 240 Baht per 10 kg or 420 Baht per 20 kg. Check the nutrition contents which are usually in Thai and English if you are concerned about the food. Some have more protein, less sodium, etc.

Great price, just got back from Makro and bought Savpack 25 kg for 820 baht, where are you shopping?

Go down the Maejo Road, head out past the Teppanya Hospital on your right and just past the first 7-11 on your left is an animal supply place. Right next door (I think) is the Similan Seafood Restaurant. This place sells in very high volume and supplies farm animal food and drugs. The owners are very nice people who speak fluent English. They have very good prices. They have many brands of food, some even cheaper.

thanks, and it's even on my way home from town!

Go down the Maejo Road, head out past the Teppanya Hospital on your right and just past the first 7-11 on your left is an animal supply place. Right next door (I think) is the Similan Seafood Restaurant. This place sells in very high volume and supplies farm animal food and drugs. The owners are very nice people who speak fluent English. They have very good prices. They have many brands of food, some even cheaper.

thanks, and it's even on my way home from town!

I know where maejo road is but not where Teppanya hospital is it the one on the corner of maejo road and the super highway