Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray

webfact

• Thailand's top opposition party list candidate Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday said she has no problem with army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha's televised interview
    Ms Yingluck brushed aside criticism that the powerful army chief's statement was aimed to curb the rising popularity of her Pheu Thai Party.
    She said her meeting with Prayuth was likely to take place after the vote because she wanted to discuss how to bring about national reconciliation and solidarity.

• Chart Thai Pattana Party leader Chumpol Silapa-archa expressed his trust in the military

• Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban on Wednesday pledged to resign as Democrat Party secretary-general if the party wins less than 170 seats in the upcoming election.
    Mr Suthep made the remarks after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he would step down as party leader if his Democrat Party wins less than the 165 seats it gained in the last election in 2007.

(minor editing to get things in shape)

ad.1. Ms. Yingluck will probably issue another, conflicting statement tomorrow and at the same time indicate that she's ready as ever for the debate assume the time is right.

ad.2. K. Chumpol will quote his father k. Banharn and remind all and sunder what a wonderful PM his father had been (all 5 foot of him)

ad.3. Caretaker DPM Suthep did some counting and convinced himself that less than 170 would be so unlikely as to be able to stake someone reputation on it. Stay tuned for more ;) Meanwhile Caretaker PM Abhisit was less sure and will only step down if less than 165 seats are gained. Again, stay tuned.

Meanwhile Ms. Yingluck declines to commit herself to P-net debate.

Pheu Thai Party prime ministerial candidate Yingluck Shinawatra Wednesday declined to commit herself as to whether she will participate in an election debate moderated by the People's Network for Election in Thailand.

1. Whatever, you will find something to smear. Don't need to based on facts, right?

2. Chumpol and Banharn are brothers. Banharn is also his father? :blink: Sounds like a good scandal and a mega story if true. Have you any evidence for it?

3. If Suthep and Abhisit resign it would be the first time that they do something good. The odds are high that they don't get much more seats than 170. If they would really step down in another question. Both are not known for telling the truth and keeping a promise.

the leader debate is off topic here. Why pushing it?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the current government already introduce an old-age pension ?

No, it didn't.

April 2009

"Thai PM Guarantees Older People's Right to Social Pension"

http://www.globalagi...social/Thai.htm

The Prime Minister of Thailand, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has declared social pensions a basic human right and will seek ways to expand the country's current pension system to deliver income security for all older people

He said "seek ways" two years ago. Anyone seen any checks?.

Try googling 'Yingluck Offers More for the Elderly', then following the reference to a 'media-outlet which shall remain nameless' here, to read about how Ms Yingluck promises to improve the current government's scheme. It's a fact. Check it out.

heheheheeh You falangs are sure getting your tits in a wringer over what. You cannot vote and have no say, you just donot understand Thainess and what makes a Thai. The posts

on this thread sure prove you donot understand Thailand.

By the way stop trying to make Thailand into what you left. I like Thailand the way it is with all of the warts and problems it a dam_n nice place.

You keep forgetting the system Thailand has has worked for them for years stop wanting it to be like home, the place you left

I have asked several times but no answer yet the falangs who support Thaksin and the PTP what do you expect to get out of that support.

LMAO. So after 12 months in Pattaya, you are an expert?

"the system Thailand has has worked for them for years" - That's the funniest thing I've seen on this forum EVER. The system here is not working, it is seeing Thailand fall behind it's competitors in the region. Education is terrible,Police are corrupt, Politicians are corrupt, Army is corrupt. Corruption removes the ability for Thailand to move forward. Constant coups stop any real political progress. The fact that there are still people with food in their mouths does not mean that this system is working.

As for "What makes a Thai" - it's mom & dad.

For "Thainess" - I am sure you have a few nice pigeonholes for 60 million people. In reality, there is no such thing as a 'standard Thai'. Just like any country, there is a culture here and some of it is bewildering to newcomers such as yourself. Hence you put all those traits down as "Thainess" and are unable to distinguish between one person and another.

The problem with your logic is you base it on the assumption that Thailand wants to be like a Western country. It is working fine for the Thai's and it will change as the average Thai changes their hopes and dreams. Perhaps as the younger generation matures this will happen.

My wife is 53 and still has the old family values. It amazes me what she accepts as living conditions even though I point out to her they could be better. I am speaking of her mother who she totally supports. I have volunteered to up her allowance so she can have better and she says mai pen rhie (I can't spell)

I wonder if Thailand will still be attractive to a lot of people when it gets to be like western countries who measure every thing in terms of dollars.

Indecently we live in Chiang Mai and her whole family look on Thaksin as a bad man. Just mention that to show all Thai's do not see him as a hero.

2. Chumpol and Banharn are brothers. Banharn is also his father? :blink: Sounds like a good scandal and a mega story if true. Have you any evidence for it?

Oops, my mistake. Indeed k. Chumpol is a younger brother of k. Banharn.

"Vote for good people!" is taken to mean Democrats. Just possibly the good general feels that persons facing terrorism and various other criminal charges, and swearing allegiance to a convicted criminal with megalomanic tendencies, are not fit to run his country's government. Personally, I agree with him.

If voting patterns are repeated, so will prior events (or words to that effect) IMHO means that if PTP is allowed to return Thaksin, he will again attempt to manipulate the other branches of democracy (judiciary and enforcement) to gain absolute control, as he did earlier, and that this will not be allowed to happen. At which point in the process intervention will occur was unclear. Quite possibly Thaksin might return to an "Aquino welcome." More likely an attempt to grant amnesty would lead to a coup.

Many of the posters here seem to be ignorant of how democracy works. There is no right for the legislature to subvert the other branches, which is what PTP is attempting by its plan to grant amnesty to Thaksin, and by placing UDD members facing charges on their party list, ensuring that they will be elected and postponing indefinitely the charges against them.

The RTA pledges its allegiance to the head of state and the nation. In some countries (US is a good example) the head of state may grant amnesties, though this is often seen as corrupt. In Thailand, the head of state is not elected, and has offered no amnesty.

Sums it up nicely.

If Thaksin stays true to his past patterns,

and there is NO reason to think otherwise,

then Thailand is in for a world of hurt.

Edited by animatic

No, it didn't.

April 2009

"Thai PM Guarantees Older People's Right to Social Pension"

http://www.globalagi...social/Thai.htm

The Prime Minister of Thailand, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has declared social pensions a basic human right and will seek ways to expand the country's current pension system to deliver income security for all older people

He said "seek ways" two years ago. Anyone seen any checks?.

Yes every month my mother in law receives one.:jap:

The THB 500 / month is a fact.

I'm sorry but you are misinformed.

Why don't you just provide us with PROOF I'm sure TV will allow a link to FACTS. This could reduce my monthly costs by 1500 baht. so, give it to us.

Sorry, but that is not proof.

http://thainews.prd....id=255205220023

That article describes the employment based retirement pension system. There apparently are qualifiers for the age pension but I can't find what they are. The pension discussed is for poor people and ironically was enacted by Taksin. I will be happy to ask my wife when she gets home if any of the old folks that we are supporting are recieving benefits.

BTW, I'm not trying to break your balls, I just want to know the facts. I have a text into my wife and she will know, or find out.

Edited by trisailer

It was not offered as proof it was in answer to a question. Show me the proof she does not. LOL

I did some research and found the following. I will not change one fact in it but I must rewrite it a little so as to not be copying from another source.

Ms Yingluck said if she should win the election that she would see to it that the elderly received more money. They would receive 600 baht per month for those in their 60s, 700 baht for those in their 70s, 800 baht to go to those in their 80s, and 1,000 baht to those who are 90 years old and more.

For those who want proof do as I did a previous poster said google this and follow the lead's.Ying luck and aid to the elderly. that is what I did.

PTP looks like a shoo in if you are in school you are going to get a free laptop if you own a taxi you get a credit card if you are working you get a raise taxes will go down and if you are over 60 your pension will be increased.

If they thought that it would help them they would also offer cheaper alcohol and lower costs on fulfilling your sexual desires with a person who earns there living doing that.

They would also tell you if you would believe it that all the money needed to accomplish there lofty goals was coming out of Thaksin's pocket not a satong of it from the tax payers.

Sadly because of the lack of education many of the voters will buy into there promises.

http://thainews.prd....id=255205220023

That article describes the employment based retirement pension system. There apparently are qualifiers for the age pension but I can't find what they are. The pension discussed is for poor people and ironically was enacted by Taksin. I will be happy to ask my wife when she gets home if any of the old folks that we are supporting are recieving benefits.

BTW, I'm not trying to break your balls, I just want to know the facts. I have a text into my wife and she will know, or find out.

i followed the article and picked the following up out of it

The pension of 500 baht a month has been granted to the entitled elderly people as of April 9 when the ceremony to mark National Elderly Day was held. In the event, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who chaired the ceremony, remarked that the allowance for the elderly was to reflect society's gratitude towards its senior citizens so that this group of people would not feel unimportant or marginalized.

This article was written in 2009 long after Thaksin had left the seat of power. It was chaired by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Perhaps if your relatives do not receive this money they should look into it. I have absolutely no idea of what they do to qualify besides being over 60. Perhaps if they are making over a certain amount of money they are not elgable for sure they would have to do paper work and have some kind of proof they are who they say they are. As I said I know it to be fact because my mother in law gets it every month and that is proof enough for me.

Does this mean no more free tablet and wifi? passifier.gif

Scandalous, is anyone aware of any other democratic countries where the military head is so vociferous (I am talking about first world, not 3rd world banana republics).

He has said the army will remain neutral so why go against that with this press conference, I believe he said he was speaking in his position as a civilian (this was my understanding from television this morning) so why is he doing this in full military uniform, well to be fair, why is he doing this anyway? maybe he can see his job slipping away and maybe he can forsesse a full investigation into what happened last year under his command.

If anyone things the military do not run this country and thinks the army did not do a deal last year with the dems (even though abhisit admitted this last week that a deal was done) then they are sadly deluded.

Cue the cheerleaders now.

Does this mean no more free tablet and wifi? passifier.gif

Scandalous, is anyone aware of any other democratic countries where the military head is so vociferous (I am talking about first world, not 3rd world banana republics).

He has said the army will remain neutral so why go against that with this press conference, I believe he said he was speaking in his position as a civilian (this was my understanding from television this morning) so why is he doing this in full military uniform, well to be fair, why is he doing this anyway? maybe he can see his job slipping away and maybe he can forsesse a full investigation into what happened last year under his command.

If anyone things the military do not run this country and thinks the army did not do a deal last year with the dems (even though abhisit admitted this last week that a deal was done) then they are sadly deluded.

Cue the cheerleaders now.

Is there any country where the politicians are quite so in your face corrupt?

Oh my god the head general said to:

Vote using logic.

Vote for good people.

Don't expect to vote in the old patterns and get new results.

What a massive influential INTERFERANCE...not hardly.

Edited by animatic

Why don't you just provide us with PROOF I'm sure TV will allow a link to FACTS. This could reduce my monthly costs by 1500 baht. so, give it to us.

Suggest that you read forum-rule 31, which prohibits quoting bangkokpost.com, we all find this constraining, but just have to live with it. Mai pen rai. :jap:

Also suggest you read my post #123, to see how Ms Yingluck proposes to increase the present monthly-rate, which she wouldn't do if the scheme didn't exist. Good luck in assisting your family-members.

PTP looks like a shoo in if you are in school you are going to get a free laptop if you own a taxi you get a credit card if you are working you get a raise taxes will go down and if you are over 60 your pension will be increased.

If they thought that it would help them they would also offer cheaper alcohol and lower costs on fulfilling your sexual desires with a person who earns there living doing that.

They would also tell you if you would believe it that all the money needed to accomplish there lofty goals was coming out of Thaksin's pocket not a satong of it from the tax payers.

Sadly because of the lack of education many of the voters will buy into there promises.

If you think that people vote for PT just because of their lack of education you are probably lacking some decent education.

No, it didn't.

Try Googling 'Thailand Old Age Allowance', and following the reference to the 'news-outlet that shall not be mentioned'.

500 Baht per month, inadequate but a start, I'd have thought.

old people where i live get 500 baht but i dont because im forang. My children get money for school uniform but not if they are at International school or not thai but then as some have already said most Taksin people dont want facts to confuse them just propaganda and lies

If Thailand was a decent country with decent laws and a decent judicial system. Prayuth would have been stripped of his rank within hours after his speech. If only there were transparent procedures to elect a decent army boss Prayuth would never have made it.

The "army boss" is NOT elected here, and I do not know of a country where he is ...

Thailand IS a decent country, with decent laws (the problem is that too few people follows them), and the general has a right to speak !

Many criminals speak about politics here, why not the Army Chief ?

His intervention is scandalous.

Not only were Thais more divided than ever under his and his predecessors rule, "the institution" as he calls it was damaged because of army interference in the elections. On top of that he was not able to solve the problem in the South, he bought numerous high profile weaponry from which the procurement processes smacks like corruption.

Why "scandalous" ?

Telling that people should elect "good" representatives is a truism, if they elect crooks again and again, they will have to bear the consequences

Look at Greece, they elected once a government of cheats which put the whole country in disarray, and the present gov has to try to repair the damages !

(The Army Chief does not "rule" the country, maybe even not his wife ...)

The "problem in the South" was created by the actions of Mr Thaksin, to "repair the damages" will require many many years because it is a political problem and not a military one ! ("Bomb them all" would not work here !)

If mister Prayuth had balles he would have met Yingluck, a real army leader would not have refused to see her.

Oh, I am not sure about the "balles" (sic) of the Army chief, but what's sure is that an interview with Thaksin's little sister BEFORE the election would have been totally out of any rule, even in Thailand where people charged with terrorism get bail and are candidates at a general election !

:unsure:

If you think that people vote for PT just because of their lack of education you are probably lacking some decent education.

Actually, I think he was referring to lack of education being the primary reason that PT voters buy into unqualified promises. Unfortunately the same cause was the reason that Obama and Cameron were elected also; but they at least made an effort to explain their policies (rather than just announcing them).

On topic, the army chief was totally within his rights and duty to objectively announce the army's current stance as politically neutral (I won't go into the main question, which is whether he is sincere). But I don't think he was within his rights and duty to subjectively say anything: when he referred to "good people", it suggested there are also "bad people" and from his personal remarks over the last year I don't think there is much doubt that he was specifically suggesting that Abhisit's people are good and Yinglak's are not. I think that that in itself is a disgraceful thing for Prayuth to say, but I'm not his biggest fan.

It is patently obvious to anyone over age 12 that there are

both Good and Bad people in politics in Thailand.

And no one pretends there are perfect ones.

You can't single out the general stating that voting for good people is the better choice as blatant bias. For any coherent thinker, voting for 'Good People' should be the ONLY choice. If you don't want to get screwed by the bad ones.

Edited by animatic

Actually, I think he was referring to lack of education being the primary reason that PT voters buy into unqualified promises. Unfortunately the same cause was the reason that Obama and Cameron were elected also; but they at least made an effort to explain their policies (rather than just announcing them).

On topic, the army chief was totally within his rights and duty to objectively announce the army's current stance as politically neutral (I won't go into the main question, which is whether he is sincere). But I don't think he was within his rights and duty to subjectively say anything: when he referred to "good people", it suggested there are also "bad people" and from his personal remarks over the last year I don't think there is much doubt that he was specifically suggesting that Abhisit's people are good and Yinglak's are not. I think that that in itself is a disgraceful thing for Prayuth to say, but I'm not his biggest fan.

I like your train of thought but try not to derail it with accusations at other countries.

On the original topic I would have to agree with you 100% but it is a known and proven fact that their leader is corrupt and to face treason charges if he returns to Thailand. Also many of the candidates are charged with treason. Yet to be proven in a court of law but easily followed on u tube. Telling to vote smart in my opinion is saying don't vote for known criminals.

It is a sad state of affairs when people have to be reminded of these things. But rest assured my saying so on TV would not get the message out. A General telling you to vote smartly is going to be heard by many who unlike the majority of TV posters can vote. It is a message that should be reinforced at all times.

A bad guy need not be officially convicted in court,

to be 'Well Known As A Bad Guy'.

You can still be an obvious criminal, and obviously amoral and of bad intent, without a Judge or Doctor signing off on that fact. It IS needed to lock them up and remove them from abusing or further putting the public at risk.

That is a legal definition that actions can be taken relative to. But that doesn't mean the offender wasn't a criminal before, just not a CONVICTED one.

When the extortionist comes down your street demanding his protection money, or you can't get your road fixed without paying the bribe, or you get beaten for speaking out, or the local puyais keep you down, but blame those in Bangkok who are NOT those who the local puyai pays a % up the ladder too, you do NOT need a judges ruling to know the ones who did this to you are criminals and bad people.

So it goes forward that the average person CAN tell good from bad in who they vote for. And SHOULD be encouraged to vote for 'good people'.

Edited by animatic

The THB 500 / month is a fact.

I'm sorry but you are misinformed.

Its not for everyone you must be in some social security system and you might be not get the the full 500 Baht if have some income otherwise. So if you get 2000 baht monthly from some other pension scheme you might get only 200 Baht from the Dems programme. If you have 3000 Baht monthly you will get nothing.

You can't single out the general stating that voting for good people is the better choice as blatant bias. For any coherent thinker, voting for 'Good People' should be the ONLY choice. If you don't want to get screwed by the bad ones.

:passifier: :passifier: :passifier:

good people bad people

Kindergarden time

brave people, boring people, stupid people, dumb people, sheeple people.

:coffee1:

I foresee many nicks retiring to obscurity after the election is done, till the violence starts up.

And of course the Perception Management SPIN keeps on at full throttle and volume till then.

The Damed Hampster is earning his pellets big time.

:passifier: :passifier: :passifier:

good people bad people

Kindergarden time

brave people, boring people, stupid people, dumb people, sheeple people.

:coffee1:

Your attempt to belittle isn't working, any one who can read and isn't blindly biased can see that is meant.

The problem this country has is how do you get a balanced election outcome when you have a largely manipulated, uneducated mass, who generally can't think for themselves, versus a much smaller educated middle class who can make a judgement on who should run the country. I know this sounds condescending, but it is a true assessment. Most people in Thailand have not completed education beyond 11 years old. It really is a tricky problem, and I don't know what the answer is. In a way I see where the Army is coming from, and they are the ultimate holders of peace and stability.

People like Taksin purely manipulate the uneducated masses to his benefit; history has proven this, and how do you stop people blatantly abusing their powers and even not respecting the law and outcome of legal judgements?

I am very sure Taksin will not be able to return, without his conviction being addressed. He should have played the game like others who have been convicted; you could be sure he won't serve much prison time, but he is above the law, right, and like a coward he ran away?