"Witnessed" A Hit And Run

snoother

Okay, so the OP didn't witness the incident. The allegedly drunk farang in the car allegedly caused an accident and obviously when he is found guilty of drink driving/ leaving the scene etc etc................will be sent to prison for his punishment.

By jumping in and getting involved with something which results in a person (farang or not) getting sent to prison for something that he may or may not have done but will be found guilty of anyway, is, in my opinion WRONG!

As mentioned the OP didn't witness the incident but Mrjlh insists the OP should "do the right thing".

I suggest "doing the right thing" by staying out of it and not getting involved in something which is (as you didn't witness it)

NOT YOUR BUSINESS

Edited by lovelaos

To answer the original question, "What are the legal ramifications the driver of the car faces?"

Any driver involved in an accident like this would be liable to criminal charges by the police which would include:

1. drunk driving

2. negligent driving that causes injury.

3. hit and run

4. Any other additional offences may be taken into consideration.

The vehicle would be confiscated and it is likely the driver's license would be revoked.

In these cases, it may help to offer compensation to the victims before the insurance begins negotiating which could go towards seeking mercy from the Court, but getting a lawyer to deal with the police and victims in cases like this should always be the first move.

(1) He was probably better off avoiding the police until he was sober (not least because his insurance would otherwise be invalid, no?).

(2) I wouldn't even think of involving myself in other peoples' messes as a farang, simply because the whole system here is designed to <deleted> the foreigner. You will end up with the hospital bills that should be someone else's. Perhaps if the Thai police weren't so corrupt, people would be more willing to co-operate with them.

If you and your wife saw nothing anything your wife heard is hearsay and not admissable in a court of law.

Keep out of it and let the law take it's course with the witnesses.

I was driving down the road some years ago at night and saw a motorbike laying in the middle of the road with scrape marks down the centre of the road. I attempted to pull up to assist. My Thai wife and Mother in law almost had a coronary and told me not to stop as I would be blamed for the accident?

I enquired with my uncle in the military and he concurred with what they said.

He also said to me, why do I think most Thai's run from accidents. That's why, even if it isn't their fault they will get the blame.

Read the OP's opening statement:

"Heard a loud crashing noise last night, and then saw a white yaris speed away as fast as possible."

He does have something to offer the Police, so tell them. He also says his GF inquired and got more information. Now that's hearsay which we all agree on. And later he writes the guy was caught, etc...etc.. Case is closed! Finished! Over!

As far as "minding your own business", that's entirely a personal decision. Totally up to the people and how much they are involved or if they see anything worth giving the authorities. If more people simply stood up and got involved, we'd have less crime and less crap to deal with in this world. If you advocate "minding your own business", then walk your talk...and butt out. There's got to be a rock out somewhere for you.

And I made my apology to the OP for misreading his post in my own clumsy way. And to answer his question based on a previous accident that occurred in Rawai down past the pier 3 years ago, he'll go to jail for a few years unless he's able to buy his way out. most likely=y get deported after spending some time.

"Heard a loud crashing noise last night, and then saw a white yaris speed away as fast as possible."

He does have something to offer the Police, so tell them. He also says his GF inquired and got more information. Now that's hearsay which we all agree on. And later he writes the guy was caught, etc...etc.. Case is closed! Finished! Over!

As far as "minding your own business", that's entirely a personal decision. Totally up to the people and how much they are involved or if they see anything worth giving the authorities. If more people simply stood up and got involved, we'd have less crime and less crap to deal with in this world. If you advocate "minding your own business", then walk your talk...and butt out. There's got to be a rock out somewhere for you.

And I made my apology to the OP for misreading his post in my own clumsy way. And to answer his question based on a previous accident that occurred in Rawai down past the pier 3 years ago, he'll go to jail for a few years unless he's able to buy his way out. most likely=y get deported after spending some time.

Yes, seeing a car speeding away is obviously important evidence and his gf 'discovering' that it was all the farangs fault is even more crucial to informing his decision as to whether or not to go to the police.

It sounds as if the car driver has been found, so it doesn't matter anymore. The driver hit motorbikes, and presumably realised he had done so, and will end up in a world of trouble.....

I will agree he was entitled to say to the Police that he heard a loud crashing noise last night. Anything his wife heard has nothing to do with the case.

All good and well they caught the guy, and he will pay the consequenses.

However I did not say or infer. As far as "minding your own business' as you say. But if I want to walk the walk and talk the talk I will do so. However that is not my go.

They had to be driving in the fast lane so he did the right thing. They were 'legally' not in that lane so he 'legally' did not hit anyone.

Not sure who to hate more though, the drunk driver or the idiots with no helmet in the wrong lane

Pot ... kettle black. Such a minor traffic nuance "legally not in the fast lane." You seem to be more of an idiot equating local bike riders with probably drunk car driving farangs.

Our office manager lost her dad to some Ahole drunk driver hit from behind , compensation was just 35k.

Another asshol_e alcoholic westener I have to put up with (neighbour of sorts) run over and killed a Thai guy on a bike while so drunk he couldnt stand. I found out when the famiy came banging my door down as he hid the damaged truck behind my house.

Turns out he paid the police just 10K to go home and sober up before facing the music, the attitude after from him and his Thai GF sickened me to my stomach.All they worried about was they are builders so shouldnt have to pay to much not local etc etc.

Drunk drivers are the pits, take the risk face the music plain and simple.

I wouldnt of hesitated in assisting the injured on the scene or telling what was heard or witnessed.

However as he wasnt caught on scene and there is no proof he was hammered I doubt much will happen

I think the last post is the closest to answering with original question, which has sweet FA to do with whether the OP, who saw nothing and knows nothing should grass on someone whose details he doesn't have...

The last OP sounds about right... Being drunk and running won't come into it... payment of compensation will be required... the rate is determined by the families of the people hurt... That is the Thai way...