Ant Control

GiantFan

I just purchased a sprayer to do my own pest control around my villa. Cheaper than the other pest guys for 1/10th of the price. One problem is the bag of powder that I purchased at HomePro (0.5% w/w Cypermethrin) is not the exact stuff. It is insoluble in water and clogs up the nozzle. I need to find its cousin (pyrethroid based but not sure of the name), preferably already in a concentrated liquid form. Any help? Checked HomePro again at Tesco Lotus, but no luck.

Or is this another one of those scams to prevent the farang from doing a bit of DIY (recall the previous blogs on the availability of grass seed in Phuket).

Concentrated liquid is available at most hardware stores, I'm sure I have bought it at the garden centre in HomePro in Chalong. Can't remember the trade name. A white litre plastic container, orange cap, black writing. It's a vicious liquid and needs to be heavily diluted for use. If you get the diluted liquid on your skin wash it off completely as fast as you can, even then it will leave your skin tingling, very uncomfortable, as I know from experience. Wear long sleeve, long pant coveralls, gloves, mouth covering, and eye protectors.

Here you go:-

post-35075-0-75073800-1308141177_thumb.j

:)

That's exactly the one I was talking about. Thank you.

I have one in a very similar bottle, same colours, different name (Sherwood 99) which is also a liquid and contains Cypermethrin (10%) which does an excellent job. Bought mine in Home Mart in Pattaya, think they are a countrywide chain so they are probably also in Phuket.

Chaindrite also manufacture the crack and crevice spray in a pressurized can

which will kill just about anything, i use that for small jobs it has a long nozzle to

get into hard to get to places.

Our eaves and patio ceilings are wood with a lacquer Finnish and they have just been rubbed down and refinished

The first coat painted on was chaindrite for pest control it comes in a large can and was purchased from Rawai hardware

that crap is worthless.. Ultrasonic devices are way better and they repeal more than ants.

they start a 200baht but you got to import them.

What crap is useless, have you ever used any of the recommended products

Will a ultrasonic device repel termites

that crap is worthless.. Ultrasonic devices are way better and they repeal more than ants.

they start a 200baht but you got to import them.

What crap is useless, have you ever used any of the recommended products

Will a ultrasonic device repel termites

Have a look

I have tried a few, did not work for me

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/grsc_subi/Research/archives/2001_ESA_Meeting_Posters/contents/SCJ%20talk.pdf

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/electron.html

http://blog.myerspest.com/?p=155

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_pest_control

A good pest control cost 10.000 a year, and gives you a piece of mind, never seen ant or anything else in my house

wonder how much chemicals you breathe in every day in your house haha..

btw which company did you use?

A good pest control cost 10.000 a year, and gives you a piece of mind, never seen ant or anything else in my house

wonder how much chemicals you breathe in every day in your house haha..

btw which company did you use?

They say its pretty safe :o just stay away for about 1 hour, i have pipes under the house they fill with "something" but its nice to be without any kind of bugs.

I use Chiangmai pest control, always on time and they also have a very good aircon service, unbelievable how dirty a air con can get in 1 year. :)

http://phuketdir.com/chiangmaipest/

ive had chaing mai pest control in 2 houses.. one of the 2 houses was owned by a phuket gazette editor so i do understand why even the best control would not work

the second one was owned by a very careful and knowledgeable euro guy who took pride in his few houses. We still had rats, a few cockroaches and ants. They came quite often and they still couldnt do anything about it.

Right now i have no pest control (almost 2 years) and i have not seen 1 rat. I have seen about 2-3 cockroaches.. ants only in kitchen and the cheap upstairs bathroom and once in the bedroom but after cleaning they never came back.

I have seen one centipede once.

Seems to be those things are way more scammy than the cheap 200baht ultrasonic devices.

Edited by seriouseats

I use -ASWIN POWDER, mainly for ants, which are a big problem here, but is also good against termites,cockroaches and weevils. It comes in a mainly yellow tin, with some red at the top. Just pour it on the ants and within 2 minutes they have decamped en-mass. I buy mine at Makro. Works really well.

Washing up liquid diluted will kill anything from ants to termites. No need for 'toxic to everything' chemicals. And much cheaper.

But they come back quite fast. I use a ton of bathroom wash for my bathroom everytime i see a line of ants, they still come back a week later. Plus those house cleaning products are SUPER toxic unless you are using some imported from Melaleuca or that american store under homeworks.

• 7 months later...

I've been reading this and I can quite agree the ants are driven me crazy. The worst is the little tiny ones get into my iMac and sometimes I can see one on the "inside" of my screen. Imagine how that will piss you off. My fear is that they will cross a live circuit inside and fry my computer.

I can't spray for obvious reasons, and the little boxes of "bait" have only limited success.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

I use ants to clean up my kitchen free of charge. They do great work without any noise and they are almost invisible. Highly recommended.

On the other hand, the 10 baht white chalk is pretty powerful way to kill the ants where ants are not supposed to be.

yes the chalk is magic, will last a long time. Also those little bit of dried poison you can buy at tesco in small enveloppes are great. I had a lot of ants outside my patio and put a pack on my patio door.. rarely see ants anymore and that was more than a month ago

Washing up liquid diluted will kill anything from ants to termites. No need for 'toxic to everything' chemicals. And much cheaper.

But they come back quite fast. I use a ton of bathroom wash for my bathroom everytime i see a line of ants, they still come back a week later. Plus those house cleaning products are SUPER toxic unless you are using some imported from Melaleuca or that american store under homeworks.

we have the hpuse and garden treated every month, this month they will be here 2 tmes because we have had rain nearly every day. sprayuing the garden and trees, grass etc is key to protecting your house, and we always get a back up spray pump filled for free, by the guys that service us to use in between visits.

thos little ants are a pain, what ever our spray guys use does work with them, its just sprayed around the skirting boards and window sills, worktops and sinks etc.

Rats, we only get in the outhouses/sheds and they get well fed with nice blue tablets and clear off.

BATS and WASPS and BEES..

we live with the bats as they arent really a problem except for their shti on the pathways, Bees are moved on with a water hose at night but wasps cause me a major problem.