Tamales: Frozen Or Fresh Or Canned

Thanks jf....if the savings are substantial, then maybe I could post on the CM forum for other Mex food addicts and share shipping costs?? 150 for 3 tamales sure makes it gourmet food and we all know that it is food for poor Mexicans. I do wonder now after reading their menu that maybe they do use real masa flour if they are offering fresh himiny. I have had their salsa and their chips and both are great.

let us know what you find out.

jd

Here's El Charro's full product list in Adobe Reader pdf format... prices listed are per item... not per case.... The list shows the number of items in each case....

El Charro PRICE.PRIBKK.BOX.2011.1.pdf

Rimping must be "ripping" off local folks up there... I have no problem paying 96 baht for a decent order of tamales to eat at home...

But as far as the pricing is concerned, I haven't seen El Charro's frozen tamales in the local stores around BKK, but I regularly see their frozen burritos...

The burritos prices on their price list are just about the same retail prices (93 for bean and 103 for meat) that the supermarkets (Villa and Foodland in BKK) charge for them. So presumably they're giving the supermarkets some discount off the price list they sent to us.

So if Rimping is taking a list 96 baht item of tamales and retailing it for 150 baht... they're adding quite a nice markup...

PS - I'm happy to say, their products list includes some very nice things like guacamole and mole and frijoles and many varieties and sizes of corn and flour tortillas..as well as various versions of salsas and sauces...

Pretty much everything basic a good Mexican (or ex-Southwesterner) needs to live on.... :D

Edited by jfchandler

Rimping is famous for high prices, but they do have items that are not available in most other stores. Before the 'recession', I used to shop there all the time, but now it's Makro.

Good work jf and great prices on their products. funny that Rimping sells them in 3 packs...same labeling.

Rimpings price is 50baht ea and El Charro's price is 30thb ea....big difference.

Anyone from CM wanna go in on an order??

My thanks to TV member Awohalitsiktoli for giving us the lead and the idea of contacting El Charro... Had never thought to try that...until his post.

Meanwhile, Jaidee, I'm confused about your comment re packaging below... El Charro packages their tamales in sets of 3 tamales per retail package... 96 baht for the package... And then sells them in 12 package cases. I'm assuming Rimping sells the same single package containing 3 tamales per package... except they're charging 150 baht for the same frozen item 3 tamale pack.

But yes...there is a big price difference on that item with Rimping.... perhaps in part reflecting the shipping cost out of BKK.

It's strange though, that El Charro's burritos are easily found around BKK supermarkets.... but I've never seen one of their frozen tamale packs here... yet you've got them in CM...

Villa Market Suk Soi 11 always stocks their frozen burritos and chimichangas...as well as one of their salsas and various of their tortilla chips... Foodland likewise stocks their frozen burritos at least... not sure about the other things....

Maybe we ought to make the same contacts with Danitas and Nana Foods...and see if they'd be open to making similar arrangements.

funny that Rimping sells them in 3 packs...same labeling.

Rimpings price is 50baht ea and El Charro's price is 30thb ea....big difference.

According to the pdf price list El C sells them in 5 pieces per pack [@157] and Rimping sells them in 3 per pack @ 150....it's like getting 2 free, but to be fair, you have to add shipping and handling costs. and FYI, it was me that mentioned the El C source......

According to the pdf price list El C sells them in 5 pieces per pack [@157] and Rimping sells them in 3 per pack @ 150....it's like getting 2 free, but to be fair, you have to add shipping and handling costs. and FYI, it was me that mentioned the El C source......

Ahh... I hadn't caught that before...

El Charro has two different versions of their tamales on the list...

the 5 packs on page 8 for 157-160 baht per package...

And then the 3 packs on page 9 for 96 baht per package...

Same 3 choices of beef, pork or chicken... They look to be the same tamales...just larger and smaller portion packaging.

Edited by jfchandler

My thanks to TV member Awohalitsiktoli for giving us the lead and the idea of contacting El Charro... Had never thought to try that...until his post.

Meanwhile, Jaidee, I'm confused about your comment re packaging below... El Charro packages their tamales in sets of 3 tamales per retail package... 96 baht for the package... And then sells them in 12 package cases. I'm assuming Rimping sells the same single package containing 3 tamales per package... except they're charging 150 baht for the same frozen item 3 tamale pack.

But yes...there is a big price difference on that item with Rimping.... perhaps in part reflecting the shipping cost out of BKK.

It's strange though, that El Charro's burritos are easily found around BKK supermarkets.... but I've never seen one of their frozen tamale packs here... yet you've got them in CM...

Villa Market Suk Soi 11 always stocks their frozen burritos and chimichangas...as well as one of their salsas and various of their tortilla chips... Foodland likewise stocks their frozen burritos at least... not sure about the other things....

Maybe we ought to make the same contacts with Danitas and Nana Foods...and see if they'd be open to making similar arrangements.

funny that Rimping sells them in 3 packs...same labeling.

Many thanks to you for following up on it and getting the price list. This is exciting for Mexican food lovers, especially tamale lovers. I can't wait to try the guacamole and poblano sauce and of course the tamales. I only wanted to say "thanks" for following up on it, so you guys figure out the rest :)

Re El Charro, I haven't ordered direct from them yet....but I intend to... It's cash on delivery, so you don't have to worry in that regard.

As to their products, their tortilla chips, salsas, burritos and chimichangas (and sometimes enchilladas) are all available at various of the western oriented supermarket locations around Bangkok, with the stocked items seeming to vary quite a bit from location to location.

The salsas and tortilla chips are perfectly fine... The pre-prepared, frozen burritos and enchilladas that I've tried of theirs, while not great, are perfectly serviceable, particularly as frozen, store-bought entrees.

I'll be interested to try, via direct order, some of the less common things they have available...like their tamales, mole sauce, guacamole, etc...

If someone doesn't have any personal experience with their products, find them on the store shelves or in the freezer section of places like Villa market, and then decide if you think it's a company worth ordering from.

There's no particular price advantage from ordering direct from them, as their product list prices seem to be almost identical to their BKK retail store prices... But if someone lives out of BKK or another area that stocks such Mexican food products, or if someone's looking for something beyond the few choices the grocery stores offer, ordering direct would seem a good option.